Should I buy a condo?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: Should I buy a condo?

Post by mannanman »

Kuroneko wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:04 am
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:12 am in a few years there will be a massive amount of empty /for sale condos and the prices for resale will drop.
better putting ur $$ in Prasac at 7.25 % return.
Exactly right, Ten years ago I was going to buy a new condo, but in the end I ended up renting fully furnished and serviced. In retrospect it was the best deal. All maintenance and replacements are included in the rent, and looking round there are a lot of nice condos now at good prices that would make my place a unattractive sale option. Buying a condo here is like buying a new car and expecting to sell it at a much higher price ten years later than you originally paid for it.
So how much is that condo worth now?
People of the world, spice up your life.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

mannanman wrote:
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:12 am in a few years there will be a massive amount of empty /for sale condos and the prices for resale will drop.
Exactly right, Ten years ago I was going to buy a new condo, but in the end I ended up renting fully furnished and serviced. In retrospect it was the best deal. All maintenance and replacements are included in the rent, and looking round there are a lot of nice condos now at good prices that would make my place a unattractive sale option. Buying a condo here is like buying a new car and expecting to sell it at a much higher price ten years later than you originally paid for it.
Likely much higher. If truly ten years ago, then he's making stuff up to make himself feel better about not pulling the trigger, or it was a really bad condo in a bad area or something. Truth be told, condos ten years ago weren't that great though. I'd say investing in the right condo is worth it.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I wouldn't invest in a condo in Cambodia, is the expected return worth the risk you are taking on. Are you very comfortable with the Developer and Maintenance company? Is there an oversupply? Location? Not that you can't make money, there are just better risk/return investments available.

I'd be more inclined to invest excess funds in the stock market and rent- not that the market doesn't carry its own risks but it's a much more liquid investment. The high dividend yield ETFs pay 7% or so annually. (SDIV, QYLD)
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:10 pm
mannanman wrote:
Likely much higher. If truly ten years ago, then he's making stuff up to make himself feel better about not pulling the trigger, or it was a really bad condo in a bad area or something. Truth be told, condos ten years ago weren't that great though. I'd say investing in the right condo is worth it.
This. Also up to 2018/19 the rents were pretty high in PP. With 1br unit in a good location you could easily get $1000/month. If you bought 10 years ago, you probably could have make big proportion back in first 5 years if not the whole investment.

Edit. Here is actual real life example with facts instead of opinions. The first L Residence condo on Street 440 in Toul Tompong area. Back in 2014 studio units sold for under 40k (33k on lower floor and 40k on highest floors. From 2014 to 2019 long term rents in that building were around $500. Occupancy in the building was 90%. Now days realistic rent imo is $200-250 (though I see some people are still asking even $450). The building still has very high occupancy.

In that building there are few airbnb units. In this example unit last 12 months occupancy rate was 71% with average daily rate of $29. 260x29 = $7540 / year.

So if you rented long term first 5 years you made 11*5*500 = $27500. Since then if you have been doing short term rental $15080. So total in 7 years $42580 with an $36500 investment. That is 16.66% ROI. Of course in this calculation I didn't take account cost of running airbnb but I did calculate long term with 11 months / year only to count some long term expenses and unoccupancy. So the real ROI is slightly lower but still it's pretty great.
Last edited by rogerrabbit on Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I can't speak for the last 10 years re rental experience (I was mere tourist the first 5) but I've been in the same apartment the last 5 years and the rent has not changed. In fact last year, they reduced it a bit (together with the electricity rate), I think fearing I might leave given there are now more cheaper prospects out there due to oversupply and covid.

I can't see them raising rents anytime soon as there are a lot of vacancies in the building. The other thing is, if there are any maintenance issues, the landlord is onto it straight away and I don't have to worry about it. Same when I needed him to get sangkat papers for my original driving licence and then first covid vaccination. Indeed, if I have any problems or issues, they are there to help and have many connections.

Renting that way gives me a lot of peace of mind and I can always move on if I'm not happy or circumstances change. I often wonder how I'd go if we had our own place and how to organise repairs and maintenance etc coz Mrs Cargo wouldn't really have a clue altho I guess she'd just ask the neighbours and smooth things over that way.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I don't think "easily get 1k" is realistic, especially averaged out over the course of ten years. Still, say it cost 50k ten years ago, and instead he rented out for $400/m, that's 48k down the drain that was never invested. The condo would essentially be paid for by now, even if you factor in 5% for repairs or whatever. That's not even counting the appreciation of the condo's worth.l obviously Reading it again, I'm now assuming he only lives here one or two months per year, which in that case maybe makes a bit more sense. Still an odd statement to say real estate won't go up, especially in a place like Cambodia. The risk is obviously higher as a foreigner, but that goes for any investment.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:16 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:10 pm
mannanman wrote:
This. Also up to 2018/19 the rents were pretty high in PP. With 1br unit in a good location you could easily get $1000/month. If you bought 10 years ago, you probably could have make big proportion back in first 5 years if not the whole investment.

Edit. Here is actual real life example with facts instead of opinions. The first L Residence condo on Street 440 in Toul Tompong area. Back in 2014 studio units sold for under 40k (33k on lower floor and 40k on highest floors. From 2014 to 2019 long term rents in that building were around $500. Occupancy in the building was 90%. Now days realistic rent imo is $200-250 (though I see some people are still asking even $450). The building still has very high occupancy.

In that building there are few airbnb units. In this example unit last 12 months occupancy rate was 71% with average daily rate of $29. 260x29 = $7540 / year.

So if you rented long term first 5 years you made 11*5*500 = $27500. Since then if you have been doing short term rental $15080. So total in 7 years $42580 with an $36500 investment. That is 16.66% ROI. Of course in this calculation I didn't take account cost of running airbnb but I did calculate long term with 11 months / year only to count some long term expenses and unoccupancy. So the real ROI is slightly lower but still it's pretty great.
As an annualized return, it's around a 2.5% ROI during a period when banks and MFIs were offering 8% ROI on a one year term deposit with absolutely zero headaches of managing a property.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Cooldude wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:10 pm As an annualized return, it's around a 2.5% ROI during a period when banks and MFIs were offering 8% ROI on a one year term deposit with absolutely zero headaches of managing a property.
Yep for sure. And with Bitcoin you could have made 118% annualized return. But we were talking about properties here.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:50 pm I don't think "easily get 1k" is realistic, especially averaged out over the course of ten years. Still, say it cost 50k ten years ago, and instead he rented out for $400/m, that's 48k down the drain that was never invested. The condo would essentially be paid for by now, even if you factor in 5% for repairs or whatever. That's not even counting the appreciation of the condo's worth.l obviously Reading it again, I'm now assuming he only lives here one or two months per year, which in that case maybe makes a bit more sense. Still an odd statement to say real estate won't go up, especially in a place like Cambodia. The risk is obviously higher as a foreigner, but that goes for any investment.
Yeah, I meant easily could have got 1k/month for the first 5 years for bit more expensive unit than 50k unit. Bad wording from me. Ten year average would be lower of course. Your numbers seems fair.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

no. buy a cup of Camomile tea.

:mrgreen:
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Long term maintenance is a real problem. How long will the plumbing last. Will the building be repainted regularly. When the elevators wear out will they be properly repaired. In Australia we have highly regulated body corporates yet there are many problems with building maintenance. I think condos in Cambodia are a very poor investment.
Whatever happened to Florida, he was the expert.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic