Europe locks down with Omicron

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Europe locks down with Omicron

Post by nemo »

Looks like the EU and UK are locking down tight again.

I suppose this will flow through into our region soon.

Initial reports of the variant being milder than prior iterations appear linked to the relative youth of the SA population rather than any intrinsic characteristic- the "mildness" is not showing up elsewhere. Some anecdotal accounts are now claiming the opposite.

Seems we will never go back to "normal"
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Europe locks down with Omicron

Post by nerdlinger »

Two separate studies suggest the same mechanism by which it may be less severe in terms of individual case fatality (albeit worse for the world overall):

https://news.sky.com/story/omicron-may- ... s-12499678 (Cambridge, UK)
https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... ns-of-hope (Hong Kong)
A third piece of hopeful news is that scientists have uncovered a possible biological explanation for Omicron’s apparent reduced severity.
This work was carried out by Michael Chan Chi-wai at the University of Hong Kong who found that although the new variant is much more efficient, compared with Delta, in reproducing in the upper respiratory tract, where it can be coughed out onto others, it is far less efficient in spreading in the lungs where it would pose the greatest danger to an infected person.
In this way, the variant may spread between individuals far more quickly but not reach more vulnerable parts of their anatomies. This would reduce the severity of illness it can trigger.
However, Chan has counselled caution in interpreting the implications of his work. “By infecting many more people, a very infectious virus may cause more severe disease and death, even though the virus itself may be less pathogenic,” he said. “The overall threat from Omicron variant is likely to be very significant.”
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

It will be several more weeks yet before we can make predictions that are anywhere near conclusive. Everything said so far, whether positive or negative, by anyone, is pure speculation based on extremely limited evidence. This is either the beginning of the end, the end of the beginning, or somewhere in-between. We have no idea at this stage.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

xandreu wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:12 pm This is either the beginning of the end, the end of the beginning, or somewhere in-between.
Yes, I agree. It will definitely be a thing that will either happen or not happen or partially happen, I'll stake my reputation on it.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

xandreu wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:12 pm It will be several more weeks yet before we can make predictions that are anywhere near conclusive. Everything said so far, whether positive or negative, by anyone, is pure speculation based on extremely limited evidence. This is either the beginning of the end, the end of the beginning, or somewhere in-between. We have no idea at this stage.
I take it as a funny disillusioned sarcastic comment with no clear meaning, just like some obscure ancient pseudo mystical saying parody, but i could be wrong.
We heard this line so many times these last 2 years, at one point it's becoming funny to hear it again.

In here (Europe) it's a bit like the witch hunts for the non-vaxed, getting more & more cornered.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

What are you getting concerned about? Getting vaxxed or the lockdowns increasing in severity.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

nerdlinger wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:26 pm
Yes, I agree. It will definitely be a thing that will either happen or not happen or partially happen, I'll stake my reputation on it.
I would really hate to imagine a world in which you end up being wrong...
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Looks like I be getting a free pizza sooner than I thought the way things are going.

I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

If you need an annual booster jab, same as you do for the flue, I'm very happy to have it

It makes no sense at all, not to have it
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

What are you getting concerned about? Getting vaxxed or the lockdowns increasing in severity.
Lockdowns in other countries and the effect on the local economy due to depressed tourism.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic