Europe locks down with Omicron

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Europe locks down with Omicron

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

nerdlinger wrote:
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:05 pm
nemo wrote:BBC radio is now reporting a 75% increase in hospitalizations in the past week.
They also mention that dtat for this previous week will be flawed due to poor reporting during the holidays.
Media is full of shit, I was looking at all the stats yesterday,
cases are sky high, up 30.5% and the highest they have ever been during the whole pandemic,
yet hospital cases are only up 8.2%
Click through from the summary page and read those stats more carefully. As of today (29th) the stats from the site you quote still only have hospital admissions going up to Dec 20th. 75% over Xmas sounds perfectly plausible.
Yeah sorry didn’t realise the hospital graph was only to the 20th as the other two are to the 27th,
still you’re going off stats reported by the media, at the start of omicron there were reports there was 2-300 people in hospital with the new variant, it was in fact <10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Europe locks down with Omicron

Post by nerdlinger »

But there is a good reason to do so where there are many pharmacies because so many of the local people didn't go to them to get vaccinated, for whatever reason. It's not complicated.
Did you even read the article? None of the things you’re bitching about are even true. Your rants read like you just glimpsed the headline and decided to fill in the blanks with whatever would give you your daily dose of outrage.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

About 200.000 new cases in France during the last 24h
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

200,000, yawn. Am I the only one who has grown complacent to the point of ignoring the doomsday prophecies? Let the omicron run wild and in a few weeks presto, pandemic over. If you are going to get infected, omicron sounds like the one to get. And no I am not some anti vax nutbar, I am double vaxxed and glad to do it. Just reaching the end of my patience with the whole business.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Is it time yet that we can all agree we just need to get on with our lives?

It's been 2 years. The 'scientists' have obviously been doing a poor job working with governments to get this under control.

Let's forget about everyone's thoughts over the past 2 years, as we know they all vary, but at this stage can't we all agree we're being mislead about this whole mess? At this stage, is it not obvious to all that this is mainly a money grab or power grab? Think about it. Media has been focusing on 'deaths' for most of the two years, and only now are they focusing on 'cases.' Shouldn't that be a big, red flag?

Has anyone decided they have a limit to the number of injections you'll take or are you seriously fine with as many as they order you to take?

And if you want lockdown mandates, can't you just stay at home yourself? You don't need everyone else to stay at home for you to stay home, you can just STAY HOME.

As I called it last week, and now the 'experts' are now saying, Omicron is spreading like wildfire, BUT it's obviously very mild compared to other variants. That's a godsend. Do you really need to wait around for these 'experts' to tell you the obvious?

And while this isn't confirmed as a fact, you should realize that some scientists are concerned that maybe a 4th booster will fuck up your immune system. I know, I know, it's hard to believe that there could POSSIBLY be any negative outcomes of such a safe and effective vaccine, so we should probably wait for these guys to tell us the true science on it, and continue taking as many boosters as they ask us to in the meantime:

Do these COVID vaccines help? I believe that's obvious. Are they as helpful as we were first told they were? I think it's clear that they aren't as helpful as they told us they were earlier. Are they as helpful as they are telling us they are RIGHT NOW? I guess we'll have to wait until a later time to find out.

Again, not confirmed, but some scientists do have concerns if a 4th booster may cause some sort of immune system fatigue.

The New York Times:

"Most of the advisory panel argued that the potential benefits of a fourth dose outweighed any risks, and that there was no time to lose in making decisions to protect those most susceptible. But other experts argued that not enough was known about the effects of a fourth shot, and some scientists have raised concerns that too many shots might cause a sort of immune system fatigue, compromising the body’s ability to fight the virus, particularly among older people."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/27/worl ... ccine.html

And as a reminder, you should look VERY closely at the reports of 'hospitals overwhelmed with Covid patients,' as that may be factually true, but could it possibly be purposely misleading? Here's a random article about Vermont, whose hospitals may technically overwhelmed with 'Covid patients,' yet most of them have no symptoms, lol. The media has being doing a number on people's mental health state, and it's possible (relax, I said 'possible') that they have us more scared than we logically should be:

"Some Vermonters who are able to find antigen tests and then test positive are clogging up emergency rooms.

The emergency department at the Rutland Regional Medical Center has been overwhelmed with asymptomatic folks."

https://www.wcax.com/2021/12/22/covid-p ... og-up-ers/

I personally believe we're at a turning point in this whole pandemic, and within a month or two we'll all start seeing the tone in the news do a sharp pivot, as there's no way (I hope) they can keep this up for much longer at this stage.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I didn’t read all that because “Is it time yet that we can all agree we just need to get on with our lives?”.
People of the world, spice up your life.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

General Mackevili wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:29 am Is it time yet that we can all agree we just need to get on with our lives?

It's been 2 years. The 'scientists' have obviously been doing a poor job working with governments to get this

(Etc, etc, etc)

I personally believe we're at a turning point in this whole pandemic, and within a month or two we'll all start seeing the tone in the news do a sharp pivot, as there's no way (I hope) they can keep this up for much longer at this stage.
If everyone had got vaccinated at the beginning (as they ought to have done) instead of becoming a lot of selfish anti-vaxxers wallowing in conspiracy theory and misbegotten concepts of personal rights and liberties, well, yeah, we could have been over all this by now. But as people insist on being foolish and arrogant -- on and on it goes!!!
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Where did omicron come from? We still do not know.
This article proposes some answers
Since South African scientists announced last week they had identified an unsettling new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the world has anxiously awaited clues about how it might change the trajectory of the pandemic. But as big a mystery—if less urgent—is where and how Omicron evolved, and what lessons its emergence holds for avoiding future dangerous variants.

Omicron clearly did not develop out of one of the earlier variants of concern, such as Alpha or Delta. Instead, it appears to have evolved in parallel—and in the dark. Omicron is so different from the millions of SARS-CoV-2 genomes that have been shared publicly that pinpointing its closest relative is difficult, says Emma Hodcroft, a virologist at the University of Bern. It likely diverged early from other strains, she says. “I would say it goes back to mid-2020.”

That raises the question of where Omicron’s predecessors lurked for more than a year. Scientists see essentially three possible explanations: The virus could have circulated and evolved in a population with little surveillance and sequencing. It could have gestated in a chronically infected COVID-19 patient. Or it might have evolved in a nonhuman species, from which it recently spilled back into people.

Christian Drosten, a virologist at Charité University Hospital in Berlin, favors the first possibility. “I assume this evolved not in South Africa, where a lot of sequencing is going on, but somewhere else in southern Africa during the winter wave,” he says. “There were a lot of infections going on for a long time and for this kind of virus to evolve you really need a huge evolutionary pressure.”

But Andrew Rambaut of the University of Edinburgh can’t see how the virus could have stayed hidden in a group of people for so long. “I'm not sure there's really anywhere in the world that is isolated enough for this sort of virus to transmit for that length of time without it emerging in various places,” he says.

Instead, Rambaut and others propose the virus most likely developed in a chronically infected COVID-19 patient, likely someone whose immune response was impaired by another illness or a drug. When Alpha was first discovered in late 2020, that variant also appeared to have acquired numerous mutations all at once, leading researchers to postulate a chronic infection. The idea is bolstered by sequencing of SARS-CoV-2 samples from some chronically infected patients.

“I think the evidence supporting it is becoming stronger,” says Richard Lessells, an infectious disease researcher at the University of KwaZulu-Natal. In one case Lessells and his colleagues described in a preprint, a young woman in South Africa with an uncontrolled HIV infection carried SARS-CoV-2 for more than 6 months. The virus accumulated many of the same changes seen in variants of concern, a pattern also seen in another patient whose SARS-Cov-2 infection persisted even longer.

To head off one possible source of future variants, Lessells says, “What we need to do is close the gaps in the HIV treatment cascade. So we need to get everybody diagnosed, we need to get everybody on to treatment, and we need to get those that are currently on ineffective treatment on to effective treatment regimens.”

But Drosten says experience with chronic infections of influenza and other viruses in immunosuppressed patients argues against this hypothesis for Omicron. Variants that elude the immune system do develop in such people, but they come with a host of other changes that make them less able to transmit from person to person. “These viruses have very low fitness out in the real world.” That’s because the mutations allowing a virus to survive in one individual over time may be very different from those needed to best spread from one person to the next.

Jessica Metcalf, an evolutionary biologist at the Institute of Advanced Study in Berlin, isn’t so sure that is true for SARS-CoV-2. “I think one reason that this virus has done so well is that better binding to ACE2 [its receptor on human cells] helps for both within-host spread and between-host spread.” Still, for the moment, she agrees with Drosten that Omicron most likely circulated and evolved in a hidden population.

Some think the virus might have hidden in rodents or other animals, rather than people, and therefore experienced different evolutionary pressures that selected for novel mutations. “The genome is just so weird,” says Kristian Andersen, an infectious disease researcher at Scripps Research, pointing to its medley of mutations, many of which have not been seen before in other variants.

“It is interesting, just how crazily different it is,” says evolutionary biologist Mike Worobey of the University of Arizona, Tucson. Although he favors an immunosuppressed person as the source of Omicron, Worobey notes that 80% of white-tailed deer sampled in Iowa between late November 2020 and early January 2021 carried SARS-CoV-2, according to a recent preprint. “It does make me wonder if other species out there can become chronically infected, which would potentially provide this sort of selective pressure over time.”

It’s too early to rule out any theory about Omicron’s origin, says Aris Katzourakis, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Oxford, but he is skeptical of the animal scenario, given the sheer number of human infections. “I’d start worrying about animal reservoirs more if we were succeeding in suppressing the virus, and then I could see it as somewhere it might hide.”

Many global health leaders have used the emergence of Omicron to focus the world’s attention on the huge gap between COVID-19 vaccinations in richer and poorer countries. Richard Hatchett, head of the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations, opened his remarks at the World Health Assembly on 29 November by saying low vaccine coverage in South Africa and Botswana had “provided a fertile environment” for the variant’s evolution. “The global inequity that has characterized the global response has now come home to roost,” he said.

Yet there is little evidence to support that statement, some scientists say. “The idea that if we had vaccinated more in Africa, we wouldn't have this: I'd like that to be true, but we have literally no way of knowing,” Katzourakis says. For now, the lessons to be drawn from Omicron remain as unknown as its origin.
https://www.science.org/content/article ... icron-come
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

nemo wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:56 am
Decentralized response. The U.S. government’s structure meant that much of the pandemic response was left up to state and local leaders. In the absence of a strong national strategy, states implemented a patchwork of largely uncoordinated policies that did not effectively suppress the spread of the virus. This caused sudden, massive spikes of infections in many local outbreaks, placing enormous strain on health care systems and leaving no region untouched by the disease. “Every district, every county, every state could make decisions and keep them to themselves,” Gandhi says. “And we just have uneven applications of public health recommendations in a way that I can’t imagine any other country does. The Trump administration has been widely criticized for how the pandemic played out here. But Gandhi adds that the U.S. government’s decentralized nature would likely have been an obstacle under any president.
from
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -of-covid/

Compared to other countries
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... -pandemic/
That's just the US though. Australia, Canada and others have had fewer deaths per capita than many unitary countries.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Citation?
Be sure to include their vax rate
Until then
Last edited by nemo on Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic