Water questions

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Mojo
Expatriate
United States of America

Water questions

Post by Mojo »

I’m in Phnom Penh for the first time in three years and sorting things out before we move here permanently next year.

We have a four bedroom Borey unit. We have a water tank on the roof, but still no water pressure to the showers in the bedrooms on the second and third floor. Pressure is fine on the ground floor. Is the best option to buy water heaters with pumps for each shower or could we install a pump connected to the tank that solve the problem in all the bedrooms?

As to drinking water, when I was here before, we would get a five gallon bottle with a spigot for about a buck. My in-laws tell me that water isn’t reliable anymore. Does anyone have a reliable source or another solution? In Malaysia we have cooler and get it delivered for about $2.50 a bottle.

Thanks in advance.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Water questions

Post by phuketrichard »

the 3,000 riel blue bottles are fine
use the water for drinking/cooking.

put a pump between the tank and the water pipe to the house< global house has a fine selection, mine cost around $180
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

We use a National ceramic drip filter, bought at Aeon for $30 or so. Change the filters every few months. Tap > filter > fridge. Any water for cooking also comes straight from the tap.
The $1 20L barrels are fine, though a pain to lug about. There are some fairly unhygenic operators out there. Eurotec seems fine. Hitech less so.

Put a padlock on your water pump else it will go walkabout.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

epidemiks wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:56 am We use a National ceramic drip filter, bought at Aeon for $30 or so. Change the filters every few months. Tap > filter > fridge. Any water for cooking also comes straight from the tap.
The $1 20L barrels are fine, though a pain to lug about. There are some fairly unhygenic operators out there. Eurotec seems fine. Hitech less so.

Put a padlock on your water pump else it will go walkabout.
I had a bout of serious shits two months ago, I couldn't work out what was wrong, it wasn't the food or too much beer. It went on for days. I was 1/3rd into a new HiTech water bottle and a mate told me to dump it and start a new one. 1 day later all was well.

I never had a problem with Hitech before and still buy that brand from the shop opposite, but am now on alert for a duff bottle.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

My water pressure (E5) was fine five years ago but got increasingly weak/unreliable until I was forced to install a roof tank rather than not knowing whether or not anything would happen when I turned a tap on.

But with the tank installed and less than a 1m drop, the pressure was pathetically weak, so I bought a small inline pump which kicks in automatically when you turn on a tap.

It's just a small one similar to this:

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I had very poor water pressure for a while so we had a larger pump than the one above installed downstairs. It broke and so did the next one. The one I have now is bigger again and works well but it screams. It doesn't bother me though as it's quite far away.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:05 pm I had very poor water pressure for a while so we had a larger pump than the one above installed downstairs. It broke and so did the next one. The one I have now is bigger again and works well but it screams. It doesn't bother me though as it's quite far away.
Because the pump only had to assist gravity as opposed to pushing it uphill, I didn't think I needed a bigger one. I got visions of Kramer with his elephant bath showerhead.

SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Too many bad blue bottles over the last year so I resorted to my own water filter. It is a 7 pass RO system, 3 main particulate filters, the RO (reverse osmosis) membrane, and then 2 polish filters and a UV section too. Was about $300 if I remember correctly.

Then for good measure I just boil everything and store it in my own blue 20L bottles (I have about 5). That way I leave nothing to chance.

My view is that I drink water every day, I don't want to chance anything anymore.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

I’ve been skeptical about these blue water bottles ever since I swung by one of these ‘drinking water’ distribution places, when I looked inside there was 3 or 4 young kids pouring the dregs from the returned blue bottles, into another blue bottle which no doubt would be cellophane wrapped and sold to some unsuspecting mug.
I only drink water from the single use half and one liter bottles, I know it’s not very eco friendly, but the water itself is risky enough without it coming from a possibly unclean container.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I used to just run tap water through a three stage filter and had no issues, but after I installed the roof tank the water is sitting up there percolating at up to 38C during the day, perfect for bacteria, so now I fill a 10L bottle via the filter and then bubble ozone through it for 30 mins.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic