Water questions

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Water questions

Post by Kammekor »

The large bottles (20L) are filled with well water (dry season), sometimes rain water during an outpoor (which should be fine after the first few bottles) and sometimes with the remains of the bottles coming in.

If you're scared about a once / twice / thrice in your life covid vaccination I would stay far from these bottles for daily consumption.

Especially well water from the alluvial plains in Cambodia is famous for being extremely arsenic rich. Unless you know for sure your company uses the right water and regularly tests it for arsenic don't use it for consumption for an extended period of time.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i have seen this system advertised on FB < any thoughts?
worth $130?

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:11 pm
epidemiks wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:56 am We use a National ceramic drip filter, bought at Aeon for $30 or so. Change the filters every few months. Tap > filter > fridge. Any water for cooking also comes straight from the tap.
The $1 20L barrels are fine, though a pain to lug about. There are some fairly unhygenic operators out there. Eurotec seems fine. Hitech less so.

Put a padlock on your water pump else it will go walkabout.
I had a bout of serious shits two months ago, I couldn't work out what was wrong, it wasn't the food or too much beer. It went on for days. I was 1/3rd into a new HiTech water bottle and a mate told me to dump it and start a new one. 1 day later all was well.

I never had a problem with Hitech before and still buy that brand from the shop opposite, but am now on alert for a duff bottle.
I been coming to Cambodia for summers since about 2010 and I been drinking the PP tap water!!! ..wtf. Mostly, I use the tap water to cut a sugary drink or a juice. If the drink is too sweet. I would also drink the tap water regular and put in empty water bottle. Maybe a few years ago this girl made a face as if what the fuck am i doing. My khmer friend said similar thing.

I do shit a lot. lol. I assumed wrongly, the friggin PP water was fine. I did it without thinking. Maybe I got a bug up my ass? or bacteria? any suggestions on what to take.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I use it to brush my teeth but not to drink. I just buy drinking water in 20 Liter or 2 liter bottles ( the 20 liter ones are too heavy to bother carrying much) .
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

John Bingham wrote:I use it to brush my teeth but not to drink. I just buy drinking water in 20 Liter or 2 liter bottles ( the 20 liter ones are too heavy to bother carrying much) .
Approach it as a workout Image
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Local water left standing will leave a yellowish color behind. I use bottled water for pretty much everything. Usually from some global evil brand, at least it tastes like water 😅
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Tap water. Boiled. I drink lots of tea, coffee, (and Asahi beer)

Bottled water when out and about.
The tap water seems not so bad, but I’d never drink it as is, Having seen the shenanigans that neighbours get up to when screwing about with the pipe work when they tap in randomly. At the last apartment, when some tit damaged the pipes, and we had sandy sediment coming through the taps for days after their jury rigged repairs.

The new place has pretty slack water pressure. It’s just about passable for a shower, but it would need some major work to have a decent hot shower with some pressure. I guess that will have to wait until we go on vacations.
Mojo
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mojo »

Sounds like the 20 L bottles are pretty dodgy. Are there any reliable delivery services for water coolers? Or is that water questionable, too. We drink quite a lot of water, so it’s pretty important that it be safe.
Also, I have a soda machine that uses small CO2 tank. Where can I get the tank refilled? The place on FB doesn’t respond

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Mojo wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:51 am Sounds like the 20 L bottles are pretty dodgy.
Not just the 20L bottles.

I use bottled water (1.5L) for consumption and I once changed from Angkor to Cambodia water because Angkor was out of stock. After using Cambodia for a while (I stock up 20 cases at a time) the water heater starting showing a layer of black dirt and I noticed the same in my kid's drinking bottle. Never used it again.
For showering, cleaning and tooth brushing we use well water coming from a 90M deep bored well. Maybe I will have the water tested one day.
Well water from a dug well (generally 20-25 meters deep) is unpalatable here because so many people have their toilet on top of a 5 meter deep dug hole and the contents will slowly seep into the deep soil ending in the water of your well.

Tap water in Phnom Penh might be fine, esp. after boiling it, but don't try it everywhere. Loads of places, including my town, receive unfiltered water pumped directly from the stream as 'clean water' @ 2000r per M3. Great trade by the way. Others just use well water.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Just use a ceramic filter. Those 20L bottles are gross.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic