Tories get clobbered in by-election

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Tories get clobbered in by-election

Post by hanno »

tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Re: Tories get clobbered in by-election

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

It might need one more "incident" and he will be gone :beer1:
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Most by-elections aren’t triggered by scandals like this one, so the result may be more of an outlier than a reflection of the overall sentiment of the country.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

nerdlinger wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:06 pm Most by-elections aren’t triggered by scandals like this one, so the result may be more of an outlier than a reflection of the overall sentiment of the country.
In a constituency never lost by the Tories before? And the sentiment of my British friends is quite clear: they are quite tired of Johnson's lies.
angsta
Expatriate
Iran

Post by angsta »

He's done.

The most incompetent and dishonest PM ever.

He can't stop lying.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

angsta wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:36 pm He's done.

He can't stop lying.
Who is next, I wonder?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

He clearly has very little respect for democracy and the established democratic systems that have served us well for centuries. From proroguing parliament, twice breaking international law, allowing ministers to get away with breaking their own laws and then barefaced lying about it (Cummings and now last years Christmas party), trying to cover up for his mates when found to have broken the ministerial code and whole list as long as your arm of other things, he's clearly a loose cannon who thinks that by being PM, he can pretty much do what he likes. Our system is deliberately set up so that the power of a PM is curbed and they can rarely act alone and without accountability, yet he seems to get away with it purely because people like to think there's something Churchillian about him, but the two couldn't be more different.

The only thing the Tories themselves have going for them is that they aren't Labour. That's it. It's all very well getting rid of Johnson, but who would replace him? The only one I can think of that might, just might, be able to do the job half decently is Sunak. Apart from him, I can't think of a single Tory who would command enough respect and have the ability to do the job, even though I'd still prefer any of them, even the Downing Street Cat to Starmer.

As I've said many times, the two-party system like the one we have in the UK is not a democracy. Someone like Boris would never have got into number 10 in the first place if people were given more choice. In our system, we don't end up with the best. We end up with the least worst. And that, in a nutshell, is how we end up with the likes of Boris.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

xandreu wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:10 pm He clearly has very little respect for democracy and the established democratic systems that have served us well for centuries. From proroguing parliament, twice breaking international law, allowing ministers to get away with breaking their own laws and then barefaced lying about it (Cummings and now last years Christmas party), trying to cover up for his mates when found to have broken the ministerial code and whole list as long as your arm of other things, he's clearly a loose cannon who thinks that by being PM, he can pretty much do what he likes. Our system is deliberately set up so that the power of a PM is curbed and they can rarely act alone and without accountability, yet he seems to get away with it purely because people like to think there's something Churchillian about him, but the two couldn't be more different.

The only thing the Tories themselves have going for them is that they aren't Labour. That's it. It's all very well getting rid of Johnson, but who would replace him? The only one I can think of that might, just might, be able to do the job half decently is Sunak. Apart from him, I can't think of a single Tory who would command enough respect and have the ability to do the job, even though I'd still prefer any of them, even the Downing Street Cat to Starmer.

As I've said many times, the two-party system like the one we have in the UK is not a democracy. Someone like Boris would never have got into number 10 in the first place if people were given more choice. In our system, we don't end up with the best. We end up with the least worst. And that, in a nutshell, is how we end up with the likes of Boris.
You have put it much more eloquently than I could ever have.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

angsta wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:36 pm He's done.

He can't stop lying.
We already knew that in 2019 and still gave him an 80 seat majority.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic