Smuggling through airports with body-strapped stuff

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Smuggling through airports with body-strapped stuff

Post by Ghostwriter »

(What an exciting title...well...) Hopefully it catches the eye of mule wanabees ?

It isn't an acceptable task anymore, risk-wise, as it seems.
Metal detectors, body scans, and now the térahertz detector, "scanner from a remote position", just point on the person and watch the screen. At 100.000 $ a piece, i guess it gets swiftly worth it.
If i was hoping to outsmart the airport security, i'd think twice, thrice, with such next-step equipment.

Taken from Quora :

How effective are metal detectors ?

As others have stated - metal detectors are quite sensitive BUT…

You need to worry much more about covert terahertz scanners…

I used to work for a company selling these scanners and we were conducting a live demonstration at an unnamed Asian airport.

Just after we fired the scanner up in the exit doorway from Customs inspection to the “free world”, we detected an elderly lady with a double concealment strapped to each leg. Turns out she was carrying a kilogram of heroin on each leg - under her sari… She had already successfully passed Customs inspection…
Worst case of bad luck - for her - ever!

These hidden scanners can see if you are concealing ANYTHING!
And you might not even know that you were scanned…
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Smuggling through airports with body-strapped stuff

Post by johnny lightning »

Hard to believe there are no privacy issues over this. Especially when done without consent. Gotta be lawsuits around the corner one would think.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

LOL: carrying , ( SAFELY) on ur body went out in the late 80's

recall heading out of Tribhuvan International airport, going thru security ur in a curtained room, just you and the official.
$100/kilo and ur waved thru..

even cramming it up ur ass the scanners will see .
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Still people keep doing it. Don't even want to think about how much rectally transported haschis I've smoked in my youth ugh.

Kind of appreciate this technique though. Been hassled so much at airports in my days, if they just pointed that scanner at me and got it over with everybody would be having a more productive day.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

johnny lightning wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:56 am Hard to believe there are no privacy issues over this. Especially when done without consent. Gotta be lawsuits around the corner one would think.
Not too sure about this...I mean, if you pass this scan, you'll never know you've been scanned...And the suspects ones won't make that claim if guilty.
The false positive ones could be the ones carrying a colostomy bag or some external device i guess...
The scanner doesn't seem to tell (yet) if one is wearing a thigh or kangaroo brief..The day it can tell it, lawsuits might happen in the lands of ladyboys....
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:02 am even cramming it up ur ass the scanners will see .
I can imagine.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Big Daikon wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:00 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:02 am even cramming it up ur ass the scanners will see .
I can imagine.
"Just the Fiat Tipo"
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
RorschachRev
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by RorschachRev »

Phone set to vibrate only mode. Probably.
blueman.cambodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by blueman.cambodia »

Last time I travelled into Phnom Penh or Siem Reap airports internationally..... no body scanners, no x-ray of luggage upon arrival, no sniffer dogs, no swab tests.
I seriously believe that if you could somehow bypass security in the originating country with an AK-47 and a couple kg of C4 and a few kg of heroin in the checked in baggage.... Cambodia authorities would not know it.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

blueman.cambodia wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:47 am Last time I travelled into Phnom Penh or Siem Reap airports internationally..... no body scanners, no x-ray of luggage upon arrival, no sniffer dogs, no swab tests.
I seriously believe that if you could somehow bypass security in the originating country with an AK-47 and a couple kg of C4 and a few kg of heroin in the checked in baggage.... Cambodia authorities would not know it.
I'd agree that the airports here may not be quite as thorough as other countries, but don't forget that just because you can't see anything happening doesn't necessarily mean nothing is happening. A lot of the time the checked baggage is x-rayed/sniffed before the luggage goes on the carousel.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic