RIP Kiwi; John Broadbent Dies on St 135 in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

RIP Kiwi; John Broadbent Dies on St 135 in Phnom Penh

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On 14 December 2021, a male foreign national, aged 60, died after jumping to his death from his apartment, apparently due to facing a personal crisis, including perhaps not having enough money to pay his rent and other living expenses.
This shocking incident happened at 7 am above The Deck Bar and Restaurant, located at 68 AB, Street 135, Toul Tompong I, Chamkarmon, Phnom Penh.

According to police, the victim was JOHN STEPHEN BROADBENT , a 60-year-old New Zealand national who was living in a room above the restaurant. His surprising death was soon attended to by police of the Chamkar Mon district. Forensic Police inspected and confirmed that the victim died from jumping from the second floor of the restaurant into the condominium next door.

The body was taken for safekeeping at Wat Teuk Thla, waiting for family and relatives to receive his body for funerary rites.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
RIP, and condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
violet
Expatriate

Re: RIP Kiwi; John Broadbent Dies on St 135 in Phnom Penh

Post by violet »

RIP
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

RIP. That's just a few doors down from my place. Times are hard all around. Being in a foreign country with personal money problems is never simple nor easy.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Hate to be that guy but there's quite a few people at The Deck who owe the new owners money. I'm sure they kept pestering him about it and he finally snapped.. Hopefully Paul and Anna can come back and assist the new owners in getting their cash back.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Really sad. I didn't know the guy, but that's just terrible.
What is The Deck ? A guesthouse owned by foreigners ?
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

i didn't know the person but that is one thing of concern when living in Cambodia as an expat. Having a support system of people/friends/family.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

BklynBoy wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:13 pm i didn't know the person but that is one thing of concern when living in Cambodia as an expat. Having a support system of people/friends/family.
This is something you need to set up early on.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
jaggop
Expatriate
Denmark

Post by jaggop »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:57 pm Really sad. I didn't know the guy, but that's just terrible.
What is The Deck ? A guesthouse owned by foreigners ?
Close. Mainly a bar, with I think only 1-2 rooms rented out, owned by foreigners. Good place, actually.
Pedrazo
Expatriate

Post by Pedrazo »

Darkcel wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:13 am Hate to be that guy but there's quite a few people at The Deck who owe the new owners money. I'm sure they kept pestering him about it and he finally snapped.
That's a terrible thing to accuse them of without evidence.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Pedrazo wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:05 am
Darkcel wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:13 am Hate to be that guy but there's quite a few people at The Deck who owe the new owners money. I'm sure they kept pestering him about it and he finally snapped.
That's a terrible thing to accuse them of without evidence.
Go ask the renters how much their bartab/room rent is, I know one guy there who owes 4 months rent ontop of a 200 dollar bartab
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic