I cycled the new Kep beach today-

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: I cycled the new Kep beach today-

Post by kgbagent »

By the Sailing Club yesterday

truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

I probably wont recognize anything anymore on my next visit...or maybe I should never go back and keep my memories.
work is for people who cant find truffles
sammycooke
Expatriate
Canada

Post by sammycooke »

One more reason that Cambodia has lost its charm. Always wanted to retire there. Not anymore
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

truffledog wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:04 pm I probably wont recognize anything anymore on my next visit...or maybe I should never go back and keep my memories.
Except for new land 2.5kms x90 from north of the crab market, a new pier for rabbit island, new land along that coast and lots of new very ugly villas between the crab market and the horse .
Not much has changed :-)

oh forgot to mention that some of the mtns have been stripped of trees for the dirt ;-(
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Well, as you know, mountains will topple to provide the dirt for landfill. The scenery overall will be changing, and the area will to some, be that little more attractive, lucrative, safe. I have always thought of the time being a bit of a double standard, meanwhile the truck driver and his load will be safer first.

Work in progress to clear all landmines in Kep province

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501007573/ ... -province/
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

I was living in Sihanoukville during the first six months of its transformation. I don't like the looks of this. Things could get really ugly in a hurry.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

lol. You won't win too many friends with statements like that, Coolhead.
The punters want Honolulu, alaskan crab and no uncomfortable questions asked.
Spoiler:
You are 100% correct, imo, this is going to be a absolute flocking disaster
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

up behind the beach area was a little quiet road now getting wider and after this if you keep right a few steep short climbs on freshly remade smooth roads

and this is further round before the enterance to the national park walk
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

the road leading to the sailing club got widened :-)

The Kep Provincial Administration has defended its decision to fill in 2,700 meters of sea to expand the beach, claiming the expansion is for the public’s own good.
On Aug. 18, 2021, the National Committee for Coastal Management and Development gave the green light to fill in 2,700 meters of coastline from the Kep Crab Market to the mangrove forests and so far, the project—which aims to extend the width of the beach by 30 meters in Kep City’s Thmey Village—is 90 percent complete.
Beach?? its dirt
“After filling the coast with soil to expand the beach, the hard title will be issued for the provincial administration to use, meaning that it is not private property,” Piseth added.

The soil used to fill the 2,700-meter-long beach was taken from the Phnom Voar and Phnom Preah areas.
https://cambodianess.com/article/kep-pr ... on-project
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:47 pm Beach?? its dirt
Yes Richard, and you clearly demonstrated that with one of your first photos on the other thread about this wonderful "beach".
Maybe it is just the base and they are going to put sand on top? (yes, somebody actually said that)

The Rong Rong's, boys and girls.
Or the still virgin hundreds of k's of koh kong coast and islands if you want to break new ground. Believe me, there are some gems still there.
That's my tip for our new resort/retreat/retirement dreams.

At least some of that will last until we are dead (c'mon.. it's not thaaat far away). I don't reckon Kep will be a pleasant option for another 12 months.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic