I cycled the new Kep beach today-

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: I cycled the new Kep beach today-

Post by phuketrichard »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:00 pm On the photos, is that the fishing boats waiting for high tide so they can pull in and unload their catch at the small pier? Or is it what I expect and the fish market is soon to be under the plans of new development, or even moved from the area.

By the way Richard, excellent report of changing Cambodia.
its where the boats pull in to unload the seafood which is then taken up for sale at the crab market>

its always been this way> right across from the small pier is a new development of about 50 small shops 4 m x10 m ( 95% empty)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:19 pm
AndyKK wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:00 pm On the photos, is that the fishing boats waiting for high tide so they can pull in and unload their catch at the small pier? Or is it what I expect and the fish market is soon to be under the plans of new development, or even moved from the area.

By the way Richard, excellent report of changing Cambodia.
its where the boats pull in to unload the seafood which is then taken up for sale at the crab market>

its always been this way> right across from the small pier is a new development of about 50 small shops 4 m x10 m ( 95% empty)
In a sarcastic way that is what I was getting at, being that because of the new development, there's not much room left at the pier side, and very little sea water anyhow.
I keep reading in the country's tabloids about the hard times due to the pandemic, and much of that has had a major effect on tourism and businesses to do with this sector, with the majority of workforce in that industry affected greatly.
Then we see such constant developments like this in Kep. But, has most large-scale development, monies are found either from home or overseas investors. It seems even though there's people struggling to get by, another door opens to employ a workforce in the construction industry.
Again, it the same has you mentioned about the small shops with only 5% occupancy, there's money to build them, but the general public who maybe feeling the pinch, or shortness in their finances cannot afford to take on these shops for business at this time.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Uncle-V
Expatriate
Croatia

Post by Uncle-V »

thanks for the photo trip report. Nice to see what is going on in Kep. I really enjoyed the Crab market when I was there last. I hope the expanded tourism doesn't kill the place.

Are the boats running to Koh Tontsay? I always wanted to get out there but it was closed due to Covid last time I was out there.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Those 50 shops between the crab market and Kep beach are doomed to failure as there is nowhere to park and no Bong Thom in his Lexus 570 Sport is going to walk to get there. Great location and nice views but as is often the case poorly thought out.

Kep is lovely Tue/Wed/Thu before the hordes arrive on the weekend but the downside is 80% of the restaurants with quality food are closed those days. I couldn't live there.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

2 weeks later ( this morning)
the reclaimed land behind Don Boscos extend over 150 meters out<

the back side of Don's

this road was 2 meters wide 2 weeks ago heading towards the Mangroves. Now>>>

this guy has great property and now has an additional 100 meters out into the sea to landscape

The shops just south of the crab market and small boardwalk

enjoying New years breakfast at 9 am on Kep beach

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

kgbagent wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:34 pm Those 50 shops between the crab market and Kep beach are doomed to failure as there is nowhere to park and no Bong Thom in his Lexus 570 Sport is going to walk to get there. Great location and nice views but as is often the case poorly thought out.

Kep is lovely Tue/Wed/Thu before the hordes arrive on the weekend but the downside is 80% of the restaurants with quality food are closed those days. I couldn't live there.
Has Kep is or has been in the past, living there I don't think would be very problematic. It's very quiet normally and if you need or want something a little livelier Kampot is a little journey down the road. Best of both worlds.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
dude
Expatriate

Post by dude »

@phuketrichard "this guy has great property and now has an additional 100 meters out into the sea to landscape"...
apparently waterfront landowners are given first option to buy the reclaimed land in front of their property, after that the reclaimed land can be sold to the highest bidder.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

dude wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:49 pm @phuketrichard "this guy has great property and now has an additional 100 meters out into the sea to landscape"...
apparently waterfront landowners are given first option to buy the reclaimed land in front of their property, after that the reclaimed land can be sold to the highest bidder.
not what i heard<
i heard that the property owners get 50% of the reclaimed land for "donating " their waterfront
the remainder is kep governments to develop ( parks, beach) sell ? not sure
their cutting lots of roads of new roads to the new land.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

The official announcement stated that whole project is paid by current landowners who will then in exchange receive 50 meters of new land. Rest of the new land will be public land. Public beach will ~30 meters wide, ~50 meters of "park/garden" (I think divided both sides of the road) and ~12 (or was it 20?) meters of public road and parking.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:28 pm The official announcement stated that whole project is paid by current landowners who will then in exchange receive 50 meters of new land. Rest of the new land will be public land. Public beach will ~30 meters wide, ~50 meters of "park/garden" (I think divided both sides of the road) and ~12 (or was it 20?) meters of public road and parking.
yep, seems ur right, still that millions of cold hard $$
dont understand if their funding it why they only get 50%
July 23rd
As planned, the project will include the creation of a 30-metre-wide natural beach, parks, and a playground among other public amenities.

This new beach development is being built under a co-investment contract between the government and the private sector to restore and create public beaches and greenery in the province.

August 14th
According to the plan, the tasks include recreating a 30-metre-wide and 2700-metre-long beach as well as a 50-metre-wide and 2700-metre-long public park.

NCCMD revealed that the budget for this project will be mainly from the landowners nearby the beach, in exchange for the free 50-metre-long section of land from the border of their lands to the public park.
Nov 24th
Under this new public beach development project, a 2.7km long muddy beach from the Crab Market to a mangrove forest zone in Phum Thmey village will be transformed into a standardised natural beach with plenty of activities.

According to the plan, the tasks include recreating a 30-metre-wide and 2700-metre-long beach as well as a 50-metre-wide and 2700-metre-long public park.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic