Best areas to stay for 2 weeks in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Best areas to stay for 2 weeks in Phnom Penh?

Post by Kammekor »

Equinix wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:03 pm
phuketrichard wrote:am sure others have their views but i still like staying on street 172,
great location, easy access, good choice for eating and staying and not at all expensive
Since covid started, 172 has become super dodgy at nighttime...
It eased up a lot over the last weeks.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

phuketrichard wrote:
Equinix wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:03 pm
phuketrichard wrote:am sure others have their views but i still like staying on street 172,
great location, easy access, good choice for eating and staying and not at all expensive
Since covid started, 172 has become super dodgy at nighttime...
i've spent maybe 3 nights on 3 separate trips to PP, staying on 172, walking around and to the riverside and back at night and such>
didn't feel dogey at all>
empty yes
Been there a few times this year, when it gets late people started warning me about parking my moto and mentioned there has been loads of theft and some mugging. Combination of desperate methheads, no lights and it being quiet on the road.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Yeah, I'm a 172 guy when in PP, but not a night crawler. If I were to go to PP in Jan-Feb, my plan was to stay at the Silver River where I stayed before. So 172 is dodgy after midnight, eh? Hmmm.

Now that I think of it, was there in March 2019. There definitely were some dodgy dealers, meth heads and drunken 30-somethings even in the daylight and evening hours on 172, as well as noisy garbage pickers weeding through the pile across from the Sun Dance, near the Dolce Vita.

For me, TTP (Russian Market area) is a non-starter, having done a 5-night visit in the area 3-4 years ago. They rolled up the sidewalks, even the convenience stores, at 10 pm. Mind you I was quite far south on 155, almost near 488 (Super Duper St.). Is the Ink and Drink still around? Kinda liked the Japanese guitar coffee shop. Otherwise, meh.

I guess if you're closer to Sihanouk Blvd., everything is reachable: Score sports bar on 282, the BKK1, BKK2 an BKK3 and Bassac Lane and deeper into the northern streets (178 to 130) where the fun never ends (past tense for me).
independencequarter
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by independencequarter »

ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:19 pm Yeah, I'm a 172 guy when in PP, but not a night crawler. If I were to go to PP in Jan-Feb, my plan was to stay at the Silver River where I stayed before. So 172 is dodgy after midnight, eh? Hmmm.

Now that I think of it, was there in March 2019. There definitely were some dodgy dealers, meth heads and drunken 30-somethings even in the daylight and evening hours on 172, as well as noisy garbage pickers weeding through the pile across from the Sun Dance, near the Dolce Vita.

For me, TTP (Russian Market area) is a non-starter, having done a 5-night visit in the area 3-4 years ago. They rolled up the sidewalks, even the convenience stores, at 10 pm. Mind you I was quite far south on 155, almost near 488 (Super Duper St.). Is the Ink and Drink still around? Kinda liked the Japanese guitar coffee shop. Otherwise, meh.

I guess if you're closer to Sihanouk Blvd., everything is reachable: Score sports bar on 282, the BKK1, BKK2 an BKK3 and Bassac Lane and deeper into the northern streets (178 to 130) where the fun never ends (past tense for me).
Ink and Drink is still open but has changed its name to Checkpoint Charlie. No tattoos there anymore either. Japanese guitar shop moved and I don´t think they have coffee at the new place. A couple of years ago it died quite early but there are a few spots now that are open later like Sam´s.
WillieW
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by WillieW »

Why would a tourist want to stay away out there.? Stay on the Riverside plenty of good cheap hotels around there.
Be your own toy.
Sirhaden1
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Sirhaden1 »

cambo swa wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:31 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:15 am WTF is EDM?
Electronic Dance Music. Not proud that I know that. Somewhat resembles what we all know as music.
WTF is WTF?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Sirhaden1 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:31 pm
cambo swa wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:31 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:15 am WTF is EDM?
Electronic Dance Music. Not proud that I know that. Somewhat resembles what we all know as music.
WTF is WTF?
AFAIK it's TLDR IMHO :plus1:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

yankeesnlakers wrote: Not be indelicate, but do hotel staff mind if I bring girls (either the ones I meet at clubs, tinders, or even "working" girls)? Different girls every night?
LoL. Don't kid yourself: the girls you bring back from any of these venues will be one and the same.

WillieW wrote:Why would a tourist want to stay away out there.? Stay on the Riverside plenty of good cheap hotels around there.
The riverside isn't the epicenter anymore, and there are few attractions there nowadays. It's actually a bit depressing out there. Accommodation options aren't great either. Not sure what the price is at The Bridge, but that doesn't seem so great (although Epic is nearby). Sun and Moon is by the Riverside and not bad, one of the few options. Otherwise, I reckon BKK is a way better area as he can easily get there from the riverside, TTP area or wherever he chooses to go. I've stayed at Baitong and it's not a bad option.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:30 pm The riverside isn't the epicenter anymore, and there are few attractions there nowadays. It's actually a bit depressing out there.
I agree. People who haven't been here for a while probably don't realize how much that central riverside area between the palace and st 90 or so north has decayed in the past few years. The riverside esplanade is still quite pleasant in the late afternoon/ evening between the area of the Areyksat ferry and about st 144. Families out walking, people exercising, visiting fortune tellers and shrines etc. Then after that there are more sketchy people, they seem to have cleared most of the degenerates away from the walkway recently but it's always rougher to the north. On the street size it might be picking up a bit but it was grim as hell for over a year, endless closed businesses. The streets in between there and 51 have always attracted robbers. Anywhere from 178 all the way past Wat Phnom is dodgy as fuck at night. The whole area had a lot of businesses depending on tourism so it is fuct now. Other areas haven't been affected to such an extent. I heard that the plan is to get rid of all the crummy businesses in the center and make it into something fancy like Singapore. They've already started to the south and up by the old port. :?

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-prop ... early-2019
Silence, exile, and cunning.
nndavid
Expatriate
Singapore

Post by nndavid »

Speaking of St 178, just checked in to the Hyatt Regency yesterday. Got a good long-stay rate on a small suite - thanks to COVID, I guess! Occupancy is about 40 in a 247 room, new hotel, I'm told. Wonderful property.

Apparently, official opening is on in the morning (15 Dec) and we are locked in till noon, as SAMSPTHS will be popping in (sure you can work that acronym out!) :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic