Best areas to stay for 2 weeks in Phnom Penh?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
yankeesnlakers
Tourist

Re: Best areas to stay for 2 weeks in Phnom Penh?

Post by yankeesnlakers »

Equinix wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:06 am
yankeesnlakers wrote:
Equinix wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:37 am
yankeesnlakers wrote:
Hi,

Why does it suck, could you elaborate? Is it just bad living conditions? I saw a few YT videos and it seemed fine - I am concerned about the location, is there nightlife around there on a walking distance?

I don't want to live in an hotel, I want a living room where I can relax and work, that's why I chose an Airbnb
As Kammekor mentioned, the layout of the apartment seems to be designed by an idiot.

252 is two streets away from 278 street with a few places catering to westerners and it also got Love club (nightclub). From 278 it's only a few minutes walk to Bassac lane which has many little bars/restaurants.
Got it, I will look into 252 and Duong Chan hotel which is very close by. How's Love Club?

As I understand there are no girlie bars in this area and I will need to go to 130 or 136 for that kind of "entertainment" right?

As for the bringing girls question, do the hotel staff care?
Love club used to be the place where loads of bargirls would end up after their shift. Also got some freelancers there. I've not been there for a while.

I don't believe bringing girls is an issue.

Edit: just messaged the owner. She said girls are not allowed Image
Which hotel did you message? 252?
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Nightlife in PP is accessible with tuk tuk in 10-15 min from various parts of town, so no need to limit yourself to live near the nightlife. Just avoid Russian market because of the many Karen"s. :)
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

252 is a quaint French run family hotel. I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing night girls in and out. Tao riverside would be better. Walking distance to the girlie bars and cool cafe's and 10 mins away, via tuk-tuk to Love club and Pontoon, although only really get going at weekends. Bassac lane is fun most evenings.
yankeesnlakers
Tourist

Post by yankeesnlakers »

Chuck Borris wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:14 am Nightlife in PP is accessible with tuk tuk in 10-15 min from various parts of town, so no need to limit yourself to live near the nightlife. Just avoid Russian market because of the many Karen"s. :)
Lol what do you mean by Karens in this context?
Gazzy wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:14 am 252 is a quaint French run family hotel. I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing night girls in and out. Tao riverside would be better. Walking distance to the girlie bars and cool cafe's and 10 mins away, via tuk-tuk to Love club and Pontoon, although only really get going at weekends. Bassac lane is fun most evenings.
Do you know if Tao is guest friendly? Are nightclubs empty Sundays through Thursdays? Stick to bars during the weekdays basically?
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Yes to all 3 questions. If coming over xmas they'll be parties happening around town. Some hotels have rooftop dj's (Sun and Moon), its not Ibiza or even Bangkok but it suffices.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

i went last week to love-club at about 1.30 am, after live music stopped at oscars, and it was packed, completely full with about 50% barangs, and also about 50% of girls,didnt check really out what kind of girls because i had myself arranged already before coming there !! i went on sunday night, or in fact monday morning. Whent also to Pontoon, was pretty empty there, and your QR-code is requested before they let you in. And as last refuge went to G-pub, no idea what time was that, beacuse my memory gotted pretty foggy there !! ??
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

am sure others have their views but i still like staying on street 172,
great location, easy access, good choice for eating and staying and not at all expensive
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

yankeesnlakers wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:21 am
Chuck Borris wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:14 am Nightlife in PP is accessible with tuk tuk in 10-15 min from various parts of town, so no need to limit yourself to live near the nightlife. Just avoid Russian market because of the many Karen"s. :)
Lol what do you mean by Karens in this context?

Expats girls with inferiority complex.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

phuketrichard wrote:am sure others have their views but i still like staying on street 172,
great location, easy access, good choice for eating and staying and not at all expensive
Since covid started, 172 has become super dodgy at nighttime...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Equinix wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:03 pm
phuketrichard wrote:am sure others have their views but i still like staying on street 172,
Since covid started, 172 has become super dodgy at nighttime...
i've spent maybe 3 nights on 3 separate trips to PP, staying on 172, walking around and to the riverside and back at night and such>
didn't feel dogey at all>
empty yes
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic