U.S. Hits Cambodia with Arms Embargo

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

U.S. Hits Cambodia with Arms Embargo

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Dec. 9, 2021 / 11:35 AM
U.S. hits Cambodia with arms embargo over growing Chinese military influence

Dec. 9 (UPI) -- The United States hit Cambodia with an arms embargo beginning on Thursday over growing ties to China, human rights abuses by the government and corruption.

The U.S. departments of State and Commerce announced the sanctions on Wednesday.

The Commerce Department points to "corruption by Cambodian government actors, including the military, as well as the growing influence of the People's Republic of China's military in Cambodia" as the reason.

That influence includes the construction of new Chinese military facilities at Cambodia's Ream Naval Base on the Gulf of Thailand.

China remains Cambodia's most important political and economic ally. It backed the bloody regime of Cambodian dictator Pol Pot in the 1970s, which was responsible for killing more than 1 million people.

The ban is meant to block the Cambodian government from acquiring weapons, including those of military grade, while also restricting access to "dual-use items, as well as certain less-sensitive military items."

This is not the first time Washington has imposed sanctions on the Southeast Asian nation. In November, the Biden administration issued a business advisory warning U.S. companies doing business in the country and sanctioned two members of Cambodia's military.
https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2021/12 ... 934/?u3L=1
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: U.S. Hits Cambodia with Arms Embargo

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Sebastian Strangio article in The Diplomat:

US Imposes Arms Embargo on Cambodia, Citing Chinese Military Ties
The largely symbolic move is the latest in a series of measures that the U.S. government has taken in response to Phnom Penh’s growing ties with Beijing.
By Sebastian Strangio
December 09, 2021

The United States government yesterday imposed an arms embargo on Cambodia, citing long-standing concerns about human rights, corruption, and China’s growing influence in the country. According to a statement from the Commerce Department, the move will “restrict” access to “dual-use items,” “less-sensitive military items,” and “defense articles and defense services” by Cambodia’s military and intelligence agencies.

“The United States remains fully committed to Cambodia’s independence and the sovereignty of its people,” Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo said in the statement. “We urge the Cambodian government to make meaningful progress in addressing corruption and human rights abuses, and to work to reduce the influence of the PRC military in Cambodia, which threatens regional and global security.”

This doesn’t mean a lot – the U.S. is not currently a supplier of arms to Cambodia – but it marks the latest in long list of measures designed to sanction Phnom Penh over its political repression and increasingly close relationship with China.
https://thediplomat.com/2021/12/us-impo ... tary-ties/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

This doesn’t mean a lot – the U.S. is not currently a supplier of arms to Cambodia
8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Meanwhile : US remains top arms exporter and grows market share

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56397601
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Cambodia has pinned it's colours to China's mast and there is no going back. All this meaningless posturing just makes the US look petty and weak. If they were not prepared to do anything about a 125-0 election 'victory' and the recent illegal extradition of those CNRP women in Thailand, then it's safe to say that they have no influence whatsoever over Cambodia.

One day Cambodia will simply tell the US et al to G.F.Y. and probably issue marching orders to any citizen of those countries who are living here.
Last edited by Doc67 on Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Spoiler:
i
Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:26 amIt’s safe to say that they (US) have no influence whatsoever over Cambodia.

One day Cambodia will simply tell the US et al to G.F.Y. and probably issue marching orders to any citizen of those countries who are living living here.
…and possibly punitive treatment towards nationals of other countries, too?

The top man is making himself felt throughout his own government. Maybe some extra willpower in his closing decades? I can’t see the US, or any allied nation doing much more than writing strongly worded letters. Meanwhile, I see the Khmer government making it’s own way, for as long as it doesn’t unduly impinge on Peking’s plans. If/When that happens, influence will be used to educate the right people.
johnnywalker3
Expatriate

Post by johnnywalker3 »

The problem is the exports. Otherwise there would be no reason at all to care about the opinions of DC. If the US and Europe do nothing to affect products made in Cambodia being sold in their markets then they have no influence. If they decide to act more than symbolically then it would be a different story. Tariffs would most certainly get attention unlike meaningless weapons sales bans. Hopefully it won’t come to that.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:26 am One day Cambodia will simply tell the US et al to G.F.Y. and probably issue marching orders to any citizen of those countries who are living here.
It's this very reason that prevents me from putting down any roots here. As much as I'd like to settle here for the rest of my life, I don't have enough faith that I'll be welcome here for the entirety for my remaining days.

The world is a changing faster now than it ever has before, a new superpower has emerged in an incredibly short space of time, leading to new allegiances being forged or strengthened, and things just don't seem as stable as they once were. Not just Cambodia, I mean globally. Barbados recently leaving the commonwealth and becoming a republic at a time when Chinese interests and investment in Caribbean nations has never been higher, as a classic example.

Living through this period in history, not just politically, but in many other ways, is like having a once reasonably solid house of cards collapse on top of you. If you can somehow manage to survive being crushed, you get to watch the house get rebuilt, but knowing it won't be built the same as it was.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

In recent days, the United States has decided to restrict the sale of arms and military equipment to Cambodia. I would like to take this opportunity to thank the United States for its decision to ban the sale of arms and military equipment to Cambodia today, reflecting the legitimacy of my decision in 1994, when I was working. Decided not to change the existing Cambodian weapons system to buy the US weapons system. At the same time, I would like to issue an order to all armed units to immediately review the weapons and military equipment that Cambodia currently has and to collect all US military weapons and equipment, if any, to be stored or Take it and destroy it according to the reality.

According to my note, those who used to use many American weapons systems lost the war, such as during the Khmer Republic of Lon Nol, who then used the American weapons system and imported a lot of weapons to Cambodia, making Cambodia indebted to this black. To this day. More recently, US weapons users have lost the war in Afghanistan. I believe in the courage and fighting spirit and spirit of the fighters in defending Cambodia's territorial integrity, rather than on weapons alone.

Once again, I thank the United States
That helped confirm that the decision
I do not agree to buy weapons from the United States is right for Cambodia's defense policy and it is a message
A warning to the ruling Khmer
Let the next government know that if you want independence in the field
National Defense, please do not use your United States weapons.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic