Boris Johnson and the dead cat

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Boris Johnson and the dead cat

Post by Kuroneko »

Boris Johnson bets on a ‘dead cat’ strategy to get him out of trouble :lol:

Prime minister surprises MPs with rapid rollout of new coronavirus restrictions

Boris Johnson looked strained as he entered the House of Commons at midday on Wednesday, hoping that a “dead cat” and an apology over Downing Street parties would dig him out of his latest political hole. The backdrop of sullen Tory faces was a sign that he had much work to do.

The first part of the prime minister’s escape plan — the tactic of putting the equivalent of an inanimate feline on the table to change the subject — was the immediate activation of his so-called Plan B coronavirus restrictions to curb the spread of the new Omicron variant.

The fact that many Conservative MPs are opposed to fresh restrictions in England — especially Covid-19 vaccine passports — and that Johnson has desperately tried to avoid them was an indication that the strategy was high-risk.

The move came as a surprise to ministers, not least because Downing Street has repeatedly insisted it would not have enough evidence about the Omicron variant until next week to decide if new restrictions were needed.
https://www.ft.com/content/12713c27-010 ... 6f79bd572e

SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Boris Johnson and the dead cat

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Hero.
Accountability, al la Boris

Allegra Stratton, the Prime Minister’s then spokeswoman who was caught joking on camera about the contentious Christmas party, wept as she delivered a statement to journalists outside her home before resigning from her job as an adviser.

"No flies on me."
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Is that like a 'dead cat bounce' in the stock market?

Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Image Image

Boris will be smiling as he eats his egg and cress sandwiches around now
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Who in there right mind would want to be a politician in today's world, with a ongoing pandemic that no world leader knows how to stop it. Johnson may be a clown and on the whole, the house's of parliament is now looking like a circus sideshow of all parties, "who mentioned party" "no, no it never happened". It seems this incident has caused huge distrust in the country of the leading political party, shame on you PM and your minimums while the whole country was at the same time strictly following lockdown rules. Adding to the hardship for the people, now it is expected that a pint of beer is going to cost the consumer £5 in a London pub.
With no ideas of how to curb the covid19 current situation the current leaders are well and truly under fire, obviously with Boris on the front line. What a pleasure it must be to be a PM or country leader in these times, where Covid and politics are very heavily inter-twined. But even so, has normal people we understand how serious this situation is to our health.
It must be voiced that the advice for the current updated situation, that most of us to go by and act upon, is none other than that of the World Health Organisation.
Taking note of what is coming from the News briefings on an hourly basis regarding the pandemic, it's fair to say that due to events the virus is predominantly in control of itself, with the WHO at this stage at a loss of how to curb any of the ongoing issues. The WHO for example, stated that there should be no travel bans form South Africa, although now we see 57 countries with infections from the Omicron variant of Covid-19. But while the world population may initially worry about the new variant and its rapid spread, the WHO'S remark "However, they maintain it is too early to tell if it is more infectious", also they warned that in the context of ongoing global supply constraints, “broad-based administration of booster doses risks exacerbating inequities in vaccine access.” WHO also said wealthy countries donating Covid-19 vaccines with a relatively short shelf life has been a “major problem” for the Covax dose sharing programme. The last statement ties in with the article I recently read about some African country wasting approximately 1 million vaccine's, apparently because of only a few weeks shelf life. I think I would be asking the question "how long do you need to administer that amount of shots", considering Cambodia's a developing country and has managed quite well.

But, the initial outbreak of covid19 was not controlled and contained at its first source in Wuhan, China. Although, exactly how Covid started is still in question and under investigation. Suggestions that the virus could have crossed to humans at the Huanan Seafood Market, or escaped from the Wuhan Institute of Virology were dismissed by WHO in a lengthy press conference on February 9, 2021.
One more question. Should new variants be confined at their initial source? Covid cases in South Africa surged by 255% in the past seven days but there is mounting anecdotal evidence that infections with the Omicron variant are provoking milder symptoms than in previous waves.
The UK reported another 50,867 coronavirus cases and a further 148 deaths within 28 days of a positive test, according to the latest data from the government’s Covid dashboard.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I dunno, but I feel like you are missing the point Andy.
People in the UK have been asked for terrible sacrifices, like not seeing the people they love who are dying of Covid, missing funerals, losing their jobs, and all this, in order to stop the spread of Covid - and then you have Boris and his friends having parties at 10 Downing Street during lockdown.
Seriously, I don't think that one dead cat is enough to distract from the main theme of "one rule for Boris and friends, and another for the rest of the plebs." And the lies and the bullshit are sickening.

How many dead cats does it take ?
ETC
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:48 am I dunno, but I feel like you are missing the point Andy.
People in the UK have been asked for terrible sacrifices, like not seeing the people they love who are dying of Covid, missing funerals, losing their jobs, and all this, in order to stop the spread of Covid - and then you have Boris and his friends having parties at 10 Downing Street during lockdown.
Seriously, I don't think that one dead cat is enough to distract from the main theme of "one rule for Boris and friends, and another for the rest of the plebs." And the lies and the bullshit are sickening.

How many dead cats does it take ?
ETC
Including Schrödinger’s cat as well :plus1:

Schrödinger’s Christmas party could exceed Barnard Castle for harming Boris Johnson’s reputation

Watching the growing furore over the Schrödinger-like No. 10 party that both was and wasn’t, I’m strongly reminded of the public fury over Barnard Castle; but this has the potential to supersede it for reputational harm.
https://www.prweek.com/article/1735363/ ... reputation
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic