Is this a good time to go to Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
dave the wave
Expatriate
Canada

Is this a good time to go to Cambodia?

Post by dave the wave »

I'm in Thailand and the situation i think is not very good. Thai's are desperate and more aggressive as usual. There is a political pressure, anti-farang covid paranoia, etc. Is it a good time to go to kampot/kep? I imagine very few tourists are there, which doesn't both me. Are locals pretty desperate?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: Is this a good time to go to Cambodia?

Post by ItWasntMe »

It's very quiet here. Don't feel like people are desperate or anything but definitely not happy with the customer situation either.

That being said I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now. But I'm a bit of a loner, it's probable that many would find the place a bit too dull right now.

Same faces every day.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
dave the wave
Expatriate
Canada

Post by dave the wave »

Where is here for you? Why wouldn't you want to be anywhere else now?
Here in Bangkok, there are cops everywhere. It is getting weird.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

dave the wave wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:51 pm Where is here for you? Why wouldn't you want to be anywhere else now?
I'm on the outskirts of Kampot town. The reason being the corona craze going on pretty much everywhere still and the fact that we have almost none of that here.

If it wasn't for the news and people wearing masks you'd forget all about it here. At least that has been my experience. Even during lockdowns little changed for those of us who don't spend every day in bars.

Again these are just my reflections and it's all aside from the obvious no tourists and many expats gone home, businesses shut and all that.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
dave the wave
Expatriate
Canada

Post by dave the wave »

But their are still a lot of domestic tourists coming to Kampot and Kep, is there not? Also i heard there is a lot of dust around due to construction. I guess locals are not too bother if you do not wear a mask. Here in Thailand farangs have been attacked for not wearing a mask. I was just in Nepal for 3 months, hardly anyone wears a mask. I am suspicious about Cambodia's covid numbers because they keep reporting Cambodians coming to Thailand who test positive.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

dave the wave wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:18 pm But their are still a lot of domestic tourists coming to Kampot and Kep, is there not? Also i heard there is a lot of dust around due to construction. I guess locals are not too bother if you do not wear a mask. Here in Thailand farangs have been attacked for not wearing a mask. I was just in Nepal for 3 months, hardly anyone wears a mask. I am suspicious about Cambodia's covid numbers because they keep reporting Cambodians coming to Thailand who test positive.
If I were you I'd stay away. Apparently there's a very dangerous variant in Cambodia with a case fatality rate of nearly 30%.
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:33 pm COVID-19: New Cases Keep Decreasing, but New Deaths Remain High
AKP Phnom Penh, December 07, 2021 --

Cambodia’s new COVID-19 cases continue to drop, at only 14 this morning; bringing the tally to 120,286, said a press release of the Ministry of Health.

Unfortunately, the death toll remain high with 4 new deaths recorded (2 of them have not been vaccinated) or almost 30 percent of the new infections.
Spoiler:
Assuming the numbers are correct.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:08 pm
dave the wave wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:18 pm But their are still a lot of domestic tourists coming to Kampot and Kep, is there not? Also i heard there is a lot of dust around due to construction. I guess locals are not too bother if you do not wear a mask. Here in Thailand farangs have been attacked for not wearing a mask. I was just in Nepal for 3 months, hardly anyone wears a mask. I am suspicious about Cambodia's covid numbers because they keep reporting Cambodians coming to Thailand who test positive.
If I were you I'd stay away. Apparently there's a very dangerous variant in Cambodia with a case fatality rate of nearly 30%.
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:33 pm COVID-19: New Cases Keep Decreasing, but New Deaths Remain High
AKP Phnom Penh, December 07, 2021 --

Cambodia’s new COVID-19 cases continue to drop, at only 14 this morning; bringing the tally to 120,286, said a press release of the Ministry of Health.

Unfortunately, the death toll remain high with 4 new deaths recorded (2 of them have not been vaccinated) or almost 30 percent of the new infections.
Spoiler:
Assuming the numbers are correct.

30% fatality rate?? yeah nah...
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

dave the wave wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:36 am I'm in Thailand and the situation i think is not very good. Thai's are desperate and more aggressive as usual. There is a political pressure, anti-farang covid paranoia, etc. Is it a good time to go to kampot/kep? I imagine very few tourists are there, which doesn't both me. Are locals pretty desperate?
Sounds like you might be eligible for expat refugee status.

There are a lot of hungry people here, and there could be more aggression, than usual, out of frustration, but I doubt it is anywhere near Thailand. The girls are scarier here than the blokes.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

dave the wave wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:51 pm Where is here for you? Why wouldn't you want to be anywhere else now?
Why not get out of Bangkok?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

Any time is a good time to come to Cambodia.

OML
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic