Is this a good time to go to Cambodia?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
dave the wave
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Is this a good time to go to Cambodia?

Post by dave the wave »

[/quote]

Why not get out of Bangkok?
[/quote]

You are probably right about that one. I went Wat Arun yesterday and i was the only one there. Today i went to some Palace and i had some 19 year old under cover following me around. KSR is a freak show, 50 cops paroling at night. Other than that Bangkok is fascinating. I did have an outstanding massama curry for breakfast. It will be boring in other places too and even more xenophobia in Krabi. I dislike bourgeois tourist trap$.

I'm thinking now to go to Cambodia because the smog will get worse in later in the season in which it will be better to be in South Thailand. I've been many times to Kep and Kampot. Are the domestic tourists more or less than before? Last time i was there was February 2019 and the local tourists deluge was almost everyday of the week instead of the weekends. I was hoping that they would all stay home these days. :wink: :P
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

very few "tourists" in kampot/Kep except locals
Phuket is much nicer now than ever before, head down there and its cheaper than Kep

How old are you ?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

dave the wave wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:51 pm Where is here for you? Why wouldn't you want to be anywhere else now?
Here in Bangkok, there are cops everywhere. It is getting weird.
If you feel like that, trust your feelings.

I am in Phnom Penh and things are buzzing again, the cops are invisible, or might as well be, there is no anti-foreigner attitude and life is sweet.

It is now very easy to come here so if you are planning a move do it quickly before this Omicron goes global in the next month and they all panic again and do stupid things like quarantine.
Last edited by Doc67 on Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

dave the wave wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:41 am Are the domestic tourists more or less than before? Last time i was there was February 2019 and the local tourists deluge was almost everyday of the week instead of the weekends. I was hoping that they would all stay home these days. :wink: :P
Kampot fills up with domestic tourists during national holidays and that's pretty much it. People that can afford to travel these days mostly appear to stay in resorts or more private accomodations. The places in town that used to be busy with people coming and going are still mostly empty it seems.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

even the migrants in thailand are heading back to Cambodia
In Oddar Meanchey province, deputy governor Dy Rado told The Post on December 9 that the number of workers returning through the O’Smach border checkpoint has jumped from an average of 150 per week up to 200 due to fear of the Omicron variant’s potential to disrupt employment there.
In Battambang province, deputy governor Soeum Bunrith said 252 migrant workers returned from Thailand through the border checkpoint on December 8. In November, they were only averaging about 50 to 60 per day.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:49 am I am in Phnom Penh and things are buzzing again, ....
Dunno about buzzing but yeah, things have picked up in the Riverside area with some tourists coming in and bars open. I saw that New Corner opposite La Croisette reopened the other day too..
mossie
Expatriate
Finland

Post by mossie »

dave the wave wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:18 pmHere in Thailand farangs have been attacked for not wearing a mask.
gee whiz.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

mossie wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:54 pm
dave the wave wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:18 pmHere in Thailand farangs have been attacked for not wearing a mask.
gee whiz.
I would like to kick their teeth in as well, and I'm a farang myself. That combination of paranoia and ignorance is priceless. Strangely enough, I've never felt any resentment by Thais in the street all through the pandemic, but then again, I wear a fucking mask just like them. How difficult can it be?
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

No. You application is incomprehensive.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Alex wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:51 pm
mossie wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:54 pm
gee whiz.
I would like to kick their teeth in as well, and I'm a farang myself. That combination of paranoia and ignorance is priceless. Strangely enough, I've never felt any resentment by Thais in the street all through the pandemic, but then again, I wear a fucking mask just like them. How difficult can it be?
" kick their teeth in" is a figure of speech, right? "...as well..."? You kick this Farang's fangs, and you can fuckin' pick them up and put them back in the glass, where you found them.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic