Routes to PP after Omicron?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Routes to PP after Omicron?

Post by pczz »

rogerrabbit wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:30 pm
pczz wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:28 am
Bluenose wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:53 am There weren't any direct flights from Europe to Cambodia even before Covid!
There was one sort of with qatar thatflew into pp then HCM where we sat in the plane for refueling.
Thanks everybody for the info but does anyone know whats happening with transit at BKK? And anyone got any contacts in the insurance business? problem would be partially solved if thai insurance or Cambodian insurance covered you in both countries cos this messing about with thai policies that cancel when you leave thailand and another Khmer policy which cancels when you leave Cambodia is a load of expensive b"ll$h1t. If they dont want to accept worlwide travel insurance then they outh to come up with their own asian one! I know if you 30 the policies are pretty cheap but I am way over that and i reckon it would cost me $500+ if I took out the recommended/required policies in thailand and Cambodia. I hve free travel insuranc eon my credit card and it is for 10,500,000 GBP and covers covid and thailand, but there is no printed certificate !
Where do you get Thailand doesn't approve worldwide travel insurance? As long as you have a paper that say it's worldwide and covers covid treatment min. $50k you should be good to go. I just arrived via Thailand and I just used my free worldwide travel insurance that comes with my credit card. Asked them to write validity of insurance for covid that stated the amount like this, no needed specially state it's valid in Thailand :

Edit. just ask from your credit card / insurance provider that insurance validity document. I emailed them and got it next day. They totally knew what I needed.
Thanks. I had heard that some people were getting through, but there were more reports of people not getting through. Was your luggage automatically transferred for you? i was looking at qatar who codehare with Bangkok Airways and there is a 2 and a half hour transit in bkk
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Regarding the luggage regulations, I would think the small flight bag that a person is allowed to keep with them is sufficient enough for arrival in Cambodia, with a pair of socks and shorts.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Qatar, and every other Middle East airline have their hubs in the Middle East. So, no, they do not provide a direct flight from Europe. You connect through Doha, or Dubai, Abu Dhabi, etc.

Emirates had a short lived code share with JetStar; it went horribly wrong for my return trip in August, and then the route disappeared again.

The codeshares should all result in your baggage being checked all the way through the route. If you book your ticket with an airline, and they use a codeshare partner for part or all of the route, then that should be the case. (I’m not talking about US bound flights, here)
It’s easy to check, though. The final confirmation being when they check you in at your initial departure point, and give you baggage labels. They should tell you, but your baggage labels will confirm the destination of the bags- always check them before you leave.

If your connecting flights (BKK, Sin, etc) are booked separately, then you may need to allow sufficient transit time for reclaim and checking in bags again. During the best of times, I hated doing this. Under COVID, I want none of that potential fiasco except as a last resort. Airport baggage staff are equally limited by COVID precautions, and what once was a pretty quick process may now be very slow.

There are one or two caveats-
Things change. It’s easy for an entry regulation to be changed without much notice, and to create a problem.

Keep an eye on the transit times, and potential delays. If you arrive late at the transit hub (no fault of yours) but depart on time; there’s a good chance for baggage to miss the connection. No problem if there are regular flights, but a real pain if their next flight is in two or three days. I generally like to travel light, and my main case rarely has anything that I desperately need.

As aviation starts to recover, or tries to amid the increasing reports of variants and new measures, it could be a painful time. They may want everyone to think it’s getting back to normal, but expect foul-ups. They happened frequently in the good ole days pre-COVID.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

pczz wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:21 pm
Thanks. I had heard that some people were getting through, but there were more reports of people not getting through. Was your luggage automatically transferred for you? i was looking at qatar who codehare with Bangkok Airways and there is a 2 and a half hour transit in bkk
I actually stayed 3 nights in Bangkok as there was not convenient connections to PP so I didn't just transit at airport, and my luggage was not transferred automatically.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

rogerrabbit wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:13 pm
pczz wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:21 pm
I actually stayed 3 nights in Bangkok as there was not convenient connections to PP so I didn't just transit at airport, and my luggage was not transferred automatically.
Ok. I have been onto my card issuer. They can provide a covid certificate like you said but they have a standard one which just says worldwide and they say they cannot change it to specify Thailand. I am just going to go somewhere else for the winter thats less hassle. Thanks for your assist
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic