The coming rise of ASEAN

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

The coming rise of ASEAN

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

It is becoming apparent that the ASEAN nations best interest lies in that body becoming a much more powerful force. And that its ability to achieve that is maturing.

1. They need to start, more actively, formulating common policies and strategies.
2. Then clearly and forcefully (when necessary) proceed to articulate them.

Both of these will require adjustments to the current ASEAN/se asian modus operandi - ie, politeness and consensus.
Big adjustments - but don't worry that will happen. it's already starting.

SEA can not afford to be trampled over by outside Great Powers again.
Not to mention the huge benefits that will flow when they start tapping into each other.
It is their only viable economic alternative to China.

Quad are all absolute outsiders with no real skin in the game here. They ​(and the other "great powers) have said FU to ASEAN - because they fear a strong coalition in this dawning economic powerhouse region.
They want to divide and trample. They want the control. They want the $$$ flowing out to them.
And of course, it's alway good to proxify your wars out of your own backyard.

My predict, ASEAN is going to become a real force, and quite soon.
It will because it absolutely needs to.

just sayin'
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: The coming rise of ASEAN

Post by phuketrichard »

ASEAN countries are , well Asian and there's to much a matter of saving face to be taken serious,
Fuck they cant even come down hard on the Burma tatmadaw for fear of losing $$$

and lets not forget big brother up north breathing down their necks
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

posted on the burma thread, but this is an interesting point made concerning He's proposed visit to Burma and what this means to ASEAN:

Incoming ASEAN Chair HE ‘Willing to Visit Myanmar
https://www.irrawaddy.com/news/burma/in ... anmar.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I can only assume this is meant as a joke.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

My guess is that is no joke at all. But it may be a good thing. Help to bring things to a head.

Asean has to go thru the transition to being more hard nosed in developing and pushing the majority view.
It is a big but necessary step. I believe it will happen, the pressures and the realities are already starting to press.

Don't be fooled by the silk gloves. Indonesia, Thailand, Phillipines, Singapore... - none of them are going to be passive players,
- and they are wise enough (hopefully) to realise that their local Bloc needs a strong voice. To claim ownership of their region.

Don't expect too much, tooo quick. It's a big transition.
And don't expect it to look exactly like we want it to.
But don't under-estimate it's very real potential to be an effective counterweight to ch either.

We need to get the local militia up and running - maybe if i put it that way.
No way we can hold the whole region with our troops in pith helmets spreading out thru the rice paddies. Not these days.

and besides, the main battle ground will be in the market places, and the land sale offices, and the business brokers rooms, all throughout SEA.
And amongst "special friends" at the top. It is our job to be those special friends not the Chinese.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

We need to get the local militia up and running - maybe if i put it that way.
No way we can hold the whole region with our troops in pith helmets spreading out thru the rice paddies. Not these days.

and besides, the main battle ground will be in the market places, and the land sale offices, and the business brokers rooms, all throughout SEA.
And amongst "special friends" at the top. It is our job to be those special friends not the Chinese.
TopOnlineOnline
How about if "we " mind our own business?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Ha! 'Says the Great Powers. if only.

C'mon Nemo, get real. Are you advocating vacating the field now.
If any 'outsiders" have skin in the game and can make comment it is Au and NZ (au partic). We are actually part of the 'greater' region.

It has always been the conventional wisdom, since ASEAN was born as an anti-communist bloc, for Australia (and NZ) to build strong ties to a strong ASEAN.
Politically strong, militarily strong and economically strong - as a bulwark against the north.

The totally dismissive attitudes to ASEAN in the previous posts by all you good folks from the other side of the planet demonstrates some degree of both ignorance and arrogance, imo - if i may say that as politely as i can.
It actually sound pretty old fashioned and ridiculous to those of us in the New World.

ask DFAT if you don't beleive me
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

It has always been the conventional wisdom, since ASEAN was born as an anti-communist bloc, for Australia (and NZ) to build strong ties to a strong ASEAN.
Politically strong, militarily strong and economically strong - as a bulwark against the north.

The totally dismissive attitudes to ASEAN in the previous posts by all you good folks from the other side of the planet demonstrates some degree of both ignorance and arrogance, imo - if i may say that as politely as i can.
Aren't these the same countries you are constantly lambasting for neo colonial behavior in the region?
As far as
the other side of the planet
goes, I live in Cambodia, so hope Australia, NZ, et al; steer clear of trying to
get the local militia up and running
and confine themselves to Ag Aid and the like, something they do quite well.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Alex wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:22 pm I can only assume this is meant as a joke.
Cambodian PM HE met with Myanmar's Foreign Minister this morning.
At the invitation of #Myanmar's Junta regime, #Cambodia PM HE says will visit Myanmar from 07 to 08 January. Still unsure about the intend of the visit, but he discussed wit #WunnaMaungLwin issues concerning bilateral relations &ways to strengthen cooperation within
@ASEAN

will they discuss the terrorism, murder, bombings, detentions of citizens, setting fires to homes and churches and on and on??
:stir:
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Nemo. Are you trying to have a personal argument with me? Sorry, but i get that feeling.
Or, maybe you just totally miss the points i am trying to make - because your representations are certainly not what i am saying.

I am advocating good alliances - across the free world.
Wise, informed policy which is informed by skin in the game, close up understanding.
I am constantly stating the case for stronger ties, and a re-newed engagement, with SEA because otherwise you-know-who will walk straight in.

What don't do you understand about that?

The world has changed and moved on since it was effectively controlled by a few foreign powers.
Not involving the nations that actually live in SEA in our plans is foolish beyond my understanding. ffs, we have a hopeless record in trying to impose our will upon the region ourselves.

I, and the Commonwealths of Australia and New Zealand and all their dominions make no bones about helping anti-communist ASEAN become a strong and effective grouping of free nations since even before the bloc was born. And close allies.
Sorry you don't get that and prefer to see it as something twisted totally different.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic