Chinese state media mocks Australia: 'How much left to lose?'

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

https://au.yahoo.com/news/chinese-state ... 13049.html
Chinese state media has mocked Australia's insistence on protecting the country's sovereignty, questioning if it has any to lose.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison and multiple cabinet ministers have repeatedly stressed it will not kowtow to Beijing's demands in expense of its own sovereignty as Sino-Australian relations continue to struggle.

Last month, Defence Minister Peter Dutton, whose ongoing campaign to highlight China's supposed threat in the Indo-Pacific has enraged Beijing, said China has issued demands Australia will never meet.

"The Chinese government has delivered to Australia a list of 14 requirements for us to meet before that relationship is normalised including giving up essentially freedom of speech, and many of our democratic rights which we will never do as a sovereign nation," he told ABC's 7.30.

On Wednesday, US Indo-Pacific Coordinator Kurt Campbell reiterated Washington's support for Australia during its rocky period of strained relations with China.
Scott Morrison looking solemn in a navy suit.
Sovereignity has been a common theme for Scott Morrison when discussing China. Source: Getty

"I fully understand how important sovereignty and independence is for Australia. So I don't want to leave any sense that somehow that would be lost," he told a Lowy Institute event.

But the Beijing mouthpiece the Global Times, a renowned critic of Australia, took aim at a word now synonymous with addresses about China from the Morrison government.

"But seriously, how much "sovereignty" is there left for Australia to "lose"?" it asked in an opinion piece.

It claimed Australia's decisions were largely influenced by the US – a nation it claimed gave the Morrison government a false sense of security with "hollow promises".

'Stigmatising China': Surprising detail behind Covid variant's name

'We will never’: Dutton's frank warning to China over demands

Minister's war-of-words with China dramatically escalates: 'SELFISH'

"But such so-called reassurances cannot hide one single and simple fact: The Australian government lacks real diplomatic autonomy to make choices in line with its own strategic interests," the nationalistic tabloid said.

Chinese state media has regularly referred to Australia as the US's "pawn" and the Global Times did so again on Thursday, quoting Guo Chunmei, an expert on Australian studies with the China Institutes of Contemporary International Relations.

#Opinion: Seriously, how much "sovereignty" is there left for Australia to "lose?" Australia has been passively, or proactively, tied to the US chariot, and rational voices in Australia are muted to some extent.https://t.co/Fu1MYu1iyd

— Global Times (@globaltimesnews) December 2, 2021

"Australia not only has little autonomy left, but is also being taken advantage of by the US," the Global Times continued.

"Under US hegemony, Australia has enjoyed the benefits and status far exceeding its political and economic value, at the cost of losing sovereignty."

The Global Times warned Australia to be careful it is not abandoned by the US leaving the country "powerless and confused".

Relations between China and Australia have taken a turn for the worst in recent weeks after a relatively uneventful period thanks to Mr Dutton's ongoing commentary on China and the threat of war in the region.

At a National Press Club address last month, Mr Dutton warned Beijing has "engaged in increasingly alarming activities".

He said China's militarisation of the South China Sea, recent aggression towards Taiwan and the introduction of a national security law in Hong Kong were examples of China's actions contradicting its claims that it desires peace and prosperity in the region.

China's foreign ministry has repeatedly said such issues are internal matters and it is not Australia's place to be getting involved.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Chinese state media mocks Australia: 'How much left to lose?'

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Well, they would say that wouldn't they? Trying to drive a wedge between the Australia and US relationship.
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by mouytiet »

Go get a dead dingos donga up ya for fcks sake aye.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Australia is in a very unique and potentially difficult position when it comes to global politics.

It's clearly part of the 'western world' in terms of its politics, but as part of the 'western world', it is clearly closer to the Chinese 'sphere of influence' geographically than any other western nation.

I watch / read a lot of Aussie news output and have a lot of respect for their extremely critical stance they have on the CCP and China in general. Sky News Australia in particular is often so critical, I can't imagine a British media outlet being quite so straight forward, but I do respect the way Australia stands up to them, at least through their media.

I have personally been obsessed for a long time now about how covid started, where it came from, was it a natural occurrence or a lab leak, and if it was in some way an artificially devised virus or something that occurred naturally, who is responsible and what repercussions should happen.

I'd say it's 80% Aussie media that is asking and seeking the same questions I'm personally interested in. The rest of the world doesn't seem to think these things are important.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

One day last week it was reported that Au has lost 10 bill in various exports to China because of it's stance.
Next day it was reported that USA and Canada had directly picked up most of that 10 bill very happily.

Next day USA, maybe a bit embarrassed, goes out of its way to say "G'donya Australia - you're a hero!".

USA China trade
Imports in U.S. dollar terms rose 17.6% last month from a year ago to $240 billion. That’s less than the 20% estimated by analysts polled by Reuters.
China’s trade surplus with the U.S. rose to a monthly record of $42 billion — exports surged by about 30% from a year ago, while imports climbed by just under 17%. The U.S. remained China’s largest trade partner on a single-country basis.
Chinese imports of coal and natural gas surged, while that of soybeans and crude oil fell.
China’s exports in U.S. dollar terms surged 28.1% year-on-year in September to $305.74 billion, beating the 21% growth figure expected by the Reuters poll.

G'donya USA - You're a hero every time you open yr mouth!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Yeah, I read last week that much of Australia's 'lost' exports to China as a result of their bans has been the USA and Canada's gain.

IMHO this is not a bad thing. Australia became too dependent on one country for its exports. Illustrated here:
Source: https://www.abs.gov.au/articles/austral ... china-2020

This has proven to be risky and toxic trading relationship. Too many eggs in the one basket with a regime that you get penalised if you don't agree with its political aspirations and conduct in the world.

If the Vale company in Brazil still hadn't iron ore production problems, they'd be cutting those exports too. And if wasn't because of Australia's highest quality and lowest cost of production for coal and harsh winter in China, that would be cut too. Funnily, overall exports to China have actually grown despite the bans if it wasn't for those 2 items. Anything else that was 'discretionary' or easily supplied by another country was targeted for bans.

The Aus government trade authorities have been busy building better relationships with other countries such as India and other SE Asian countries via free trade deals. Not withstanding gov't efforts, companies that have been 'stung' by the bans will think twice about dealing with the PRC again. Example, ASX company Treasury Wine Estates had their wine exports to China killed, have shifted their marketing activities to other countries and have actually done better then most thought since. They've even recently bought a winery in California where they see future growth. I daresay a lot of other Aus companies will shift their focus to other 'friendlier' trading partners too.

A good thing for the future of Australia to broaden its export base imo but iron ore and coal exporters better watch out going forward. I think Australia got lazy chasing the easy dollar with China and whilst it has caused pain for many exporters in the short/medium term, I think they will be in better stead for the future.

As I posted earlier, of course the CCP are going to try to capitalise on this news and promote the notion that the US and Canada have 'stolen' our exports and that Aus is a loser to try to destabilise Aus and drive a wedge between us.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Barnaby Joyce needs to STFU
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

At the same time USA's dependency on China only gets worse.
and galloping.
Same advice for them, Clutch?

Wedge? you mean like Trump.
- deliberately in-your-face insulting Australia by not appointing an ambassador at the same time as Au troops were fighting right along side American troops in half a dozen wars foreign wars, at their request.

"America's closest ally"
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:29 pm At the same time USA's dependency on China only gets worse.
and galloping.
Same advice for them, Clutch?
I don't see it that way.

I'm not very knowledgeable about USA's trade with China. Others can speak better on that. But having said that, whilst Aus has a big trade imbalance of more exports than imports with China (hence the dependency issue), AFAIK the US has the opposite problem ie more imports than exports (hence also a dependency issue but of a different kind).

Maybe this is a bit simplistic but seems to me if Australia and the US had less trade imbalance issues, that makes thing more on an even trade keel and less likely for either party to apply leverage as they have done ie China banning Aus exports, US applying tariffs on China imports. So without such big trade imbalances.. less dependency, less risk.

In any event however, it's not just a case of having ideal 50/50 imports/exports...also, and importantly I think, is not solely relying on just a one or two major trading countries but diversifying to reduce risk. An analogy.. would you put 50% of your stock portfolio into just one stock? Or even two? What if something goes wrong? No doubt the US and China are both big players with huge economies but there's a whole big world out there collectively.. I suspect many US companies are also looking at alternative markets to invest and trade. :mrgreen:
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

I actually agree with you Clutch, about much of this.
but as you know, i am a bit over-sensitised to hypocrisy (maybe a bit dysfunctional about it - but it stems from solid personal reasons. imo)

I hear nearly all the Americans here railing against China - but USA's dependancy on trade with China is actually galloping.
It has nearly destroyed their manufacturing base - lots of howls but they keep wanting to buy cheap chinese shit.
It's still, "Apple, Huawei.. it doesn't matter a flying flock who made it - i just want it!"

I am trying really hard to get my head around a closer relationship between Au and USA - i think it could be a very very good thing in these times - but it sticks in my craw when USA is so uncaring about Australia's national interests.
IMO the relationship suffers from a huge "imbalance".

Ps, and my constant harping about our joint defeats in so many wars comes out of genuine concern that we don't all repeat the same mistakes when we head off to China side by side.
I happen to think it is unpatriotic to both Au and USA to just keep ignoring that. I want to win one for a change.

Peace, Bros.
:mrgreen:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic