Cambodian Woman Marries Cow

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian Woman Marries Cow

Post by cambo swa »

No judgement from me. Interesting story. The KOW is full of surprises. Maybe the house and bed sheets get a bit messy but one lucky cow.

https://www.jpost.com/international/cam ... and-687486
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Cambodian Woman Marries Cow

Post by Anchor Moy »

cambo swa wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:18 am No judgement from me. Interesting story. The KOW is full of surprises. Maybe the house and bed sheets get a bit messy but one lucky cow.

https://www.jpost.com/international/cam ... and-687486
This is one of my favorite TIC stories.

A very touching story.
The Cambodian family who believe a calf is reincarnation of beloved husband and father
When 74-year-old widow Khim Hang spotted a calf near her home, she knew it was her reincarnated husband Tol Khut.
By David Sim
July 20, 2017
When 74-year-old widow Khim Hang spotted a calf near her home, she knew it was her reincarnated husband Tol Khut, a farmer who died unexpectedly just over a year ago in Cambodia's northeastern Kratie Province. The calf now spends nights inside the family home, with the TV on in the background to keep him entertained – just as Tol Khut would have liked.

"I believe that he (the calf) is my husband because whatever he does when he goes upstairs... it is in exactly the same way as he (my husband) did when he was alive," she told Reuters. "When I went to see a medium, his soul came in and said 'I am your husband'. Then I noted that he (the calf) licked my hair, then my neck, then kissed me so that really made me believe that he is my husband," she added.

She is not the only one to hold this belief – so too do her seven children and her neighbours. Her son, Tol Vandy, for example, says the calf only licks the arms of his relatives. Her neighbour, Lim Rith, says it is clear that the calf "loves his children" when you see his behaviour in person.
Inside the wooden stilted house, the calf is fed, washed and put to bed, with a long fluffy pillow propped up along his back. He lies there from 6pm to 10am, then walks back down the stairs to graze on the grass or drink his mother's milk.
Khim Hang says the new familial addition is here to stay; "I will keep him and take care of him for my entire life," she said, adding that her children had been instructed to look after him if she dies earlier than he does, and to give him a human funeral ceremony upon his death.
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/cambodian-fami ... er-1631116

I wonder how he's doing these days ?
From 2017: general-chatter/you-believe-reincarnati ... 14770.html
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:16 pm

I would speculate that he lasted as long as the old lady and then would be BBQ for her funeral party
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:19 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:16 pm

I would speculate that he lasted as long as the old lady and then would be BBQ for her funeral party
Family photos - Before and After

:dm: Seriously, I bet that if someone went to ask about dear old "dad", the family would come up with a replacement quick enough.
If I remember, they were doing quite well with presents and offerings from pilgrims.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:16 pm "I believe that he (the calf) is my husband because whatever he does when he goes upstairs... it is in exactly the same way as he (my husband) did when he was alive,"
Mmmh, so that particular cow has an habit of regurlarly going upstairs, just like the owner, a.k.a the husband ?

Someone might have an interesting theory about that, although how did it went downstairs afterward ?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Isn't it usually men who end up marrying old cows?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Well, a cow won't lose the family savings playing cards or burn the house down in a drunken fit. She might be on to something!
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

A few years back I worked with a guy who’s family had a smallholding ( a kind of mini farm) where amongst other things they kept a dozen or so cows.
One evening his mother went to check on the cows as they sounded unsettled, when she entered the cowshed and switched on the lights, she was met with the sight of her neighbor, standing on a beer crate, ‘romancing’ one of her cows, they made eye contact before she backed out closing the door behind her. She told her family, who in turn told anyone who would listen, about this deviant cow raping neighbor.
You’d imagine the guy would sell up and relocate someplace where nobody knows him? nope, he still lives there today.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I wasn't aware that Cambodia allowed same sex marriages.

Now that's progress!
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Best headline of '21. :plus1:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic