Congrats Barbados!!

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Congrats Barbados!!

Post by phuketrichard »

a lovely island>>
Barbados declared a republic, drops link to British throne

BRIDGETOWN: Fireworks filled the sky over Barbados on Tuesday as the Caribbean island nation declared itself the world's newest republic, lowering Queen Elizabeth's flag as it severed colonial-era ties to the British throne to the sound of jubilant gun salutes.

"Republic Barbados has set sail on her maiden voyage," Dame Sandra Mason said in her inauguration speech as the first president of the country, recognizing the "complex, fractured and turbulent world" it would need to navigate.

"Our country must dream big dreams and fight to realize them," the former governor-general told those gathered for the ceremony, including Britain's Prince Charles.
One of the first acts of the prime minister of the new republic was to declare Rhianna a National Hero of Barbados: "May you continue to shine like a diamond and bring honor to your nation," Prime Minister Mia Mottley told the international celebrity.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/22241 ... CzVV7zlj3c
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Congrats Barbados!!

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

"Appearing on Oprah soon"

and Hollywood opening nights
and starting a charity for poor malnourished young photogenic kids

Independence. It's become a bit of thing since Harry and Megan pioneered the way.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

What bizarre priorities. A singer of cheesy songs who lives in London is declared a national hero.
The true heroes of Barbados are those who entertained millions, had flaboyant, original talent and stayed on the island.
I am of course referring to Everton Weekes, Clyde Walcott, Frank Worrell, Garfield Sobers, Wes Hall, Gordon Grrenidge, Joel Garner (and many others).
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:54 pm What bizarre priorities. A singer of cheesy songs who lives in London is declared a national hero.
The true heroes of Barbados are those who entertained millions, had flaboyant, original talent and stayed on the island.
I am of course referring to Everton Weekes, Clyde Walcott, Frank Worrell, Garfield Sobers, Wes Hall, Gordon Grrenidge, Joel Garner (and many others).
Who?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Even as a Brit, I have always found it odd that the British Queen would be the head of state of so many other countries. Obviously I get the history of it and understand why, but it still just seems very odd. If I were Canadian or Aussie for example, I'd feel a bit miffed that my head of state wasn't a native person of my own country, even if it were just a ceremonial monarch.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:34 pm "Appearing on Oprah soon"

and Hollywood opening nights
and starting a charity for poor malnourished young photogenic kids

Independence. It's become a bit of thing since Harry and Megan pioneered the way.
They might get the acknowledgement, but I would have to say his mother was the pioneer, maybe unknowingly and possibly reluctantly, leading the way.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

So they're announcing they’re taking a “step back” from the royal family? Where have I heard that before..
:stir:
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

xandreu wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:27 pm Even as a Brit, I have always found it odd that the British Queen would be the head of state of so many other countries. Obviously I get the history of it and understand why, but it still just seems very odd. If I were Canadian or Aussie for example, I'd feel a bit miffed that my head of state wasn't a native person of my own country, even if it were just a ceremonial monarch.
Some downunder are. Personally, the foremums/dads put their own there or they went willingly, so it's somewhat of an extension of Blighty (there would be folks hanging on to edge of the rock, if everone stayed).

Anglo-Canadians are too polite, or don't give a shit enough, to complain, or deny anyone entry - last time I went, I was the only one that look western however, when the entry cards came around and the passports were revealed, I was the sole foreigner - while Franco-Canucks want independence from themselves.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:32 pm So they're announcing they’re taking a “step back” from the royal family? Where have I heard that before..
I'm with you, but you might want to elaborate for the slower ones...
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:50 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:32 pm So they're announcing they’re taking a “step back” from the royal family? Where have I heard that before..
I'm with you, but you might want to elaborate for the slower ones...
Tru dat :mrgreen: post389564.html#p389564
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic