Have you taken an Covid antibody test?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Have you taken an Covid antibody test?

Post by down_time »

So I recently took an (illegal?) antibody test as I was interested to see if my Chinese vaccine's generated an antibody response.

To my alarm it came back negative despite being double jabbed a couple of months ago. I did a bit of reading to understand why it would come back negative and discovered that not all antibody tests will react to vaccine antibodies. I did try to look at which ones might show the Sinopharm vacc but gave up as there was tons of conflicting advice online.

I was wondering has anyone else vaccinated with Sinopharm or Sinovac taken an antibody test (who as far as they know have not been infected with Covid) which has returned a positive result?

It does make me wonder as to the efficacy of these vaccines...
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Have you taken an Covid antibody test?

Post by Doc67 »

down_time wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:37 pm So I recently took an (illegal?) antibody test as I was interested to see if my Chinese vaccine's generated an antibody response.

To my alarm it came back negative despite being double jabbed a couple of months ago. I did a bit of reading to understand why it would come back negative and discovered that not all antibody tests will react to vaccine antibodies. I did try to look at which ones might show the Sinopharm vacc but gave up as there was tons of conflicting advice online.

I was wondering has anyone else vaccinated with Sinopharm or Sinovac taken an antibody test (who as far as they know have not been infected with Covid) which has returned a positive result?

Where did you take the antibody test?
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

I bought it from a friendly chemist and self administered.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

down_time wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:37 pm So I recently took an (illegal?) antibody test as I was interested to see if my Chinese vaccine's generated an antibody response.

My friends mother got Covid despite 2 Sinovac vaccines. She is old and not at best health, but she only caught a bit and had a slightly fever for a couple of days. She tested negative on 5-6 day. So yes, vaccines are working.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Don't get me wrong I'm a supporter of vaccination but one anecdote of a friends mother doesn't really lend itself to drawing conclusions about a vaccines efficacy. There is no way to know how much her vaccination affected the morbidity of her infection, many people, including a % of older, infirm people have caught the virus unvaccinated and not had any serious issues.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

down_time wrote:I bought it from a friendly chemist and self administered.
Loads of pharmacies sell them for $4.

Def not illegal, although the results are not officially recognized.
down_time
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by down_time »

Equinix wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:40 pm Def not illegal, although the results are not officially recognized.
I know they are fairly widely available but I was under the impression HE banned their use a while back.

Another interesting topic would be if anyone who is unvaccinated has taken one and shown a previous infection. Many people are of the belief that they caught Covid in the winter of 19/20 when Chinese tourists were visiting directly from Wuhan. I'm personally sceptical but it would be interesting if anyone had done an antibody test to prove it.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

From my extremely limited and amateur research on the topic, it's my understanding that once you've either been vaccinated or had covid itself, your immunity in terms of antibodies does start to fade over time, sometimes alarmingly quickly, however your next line of defence, T-cells, remain 'on guard' so to speak, ready to quickly generate new antibodies should they need to.

Or something like that. Basically, antibodies are not your only line of defence and getting a negative antibody result doesn't necessarily mean you're no longer protected.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

They're not illegal.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:21 pm From my extremely limited and amateur research on the topic, it's my understanding that once you've either been vaccinated or had covid itself, your immunity in terms of antibodies does start to fade over time, sometimes alarmingly quickly, however your next line of defence, T-cells, remain 'on guard' so to speak, ready to quickly generate new antibodies should they need to.

Or something like that. Basically, antibodies are not your only line of defence and getting a negative antibody result doesn't necessarily mean you're no longer protected.
That's my understanding too. And, if you have had Covid or your shots 6+ months ago,and still have high levels of antibodies, it is possible that you have been exposed to the virus more recently and your T-Cells have done their job and produced more antibodies to fight off the virus. You might be asymptomatic but your body could be busy fighting off the virus - again.

Anyway, antibodies aren't all they're cracked up to be. A recent survey in the UK revealed 92.5% of adults had antibodies, yet infections are still about 40,000 a day, 8000 people are currently in hospital, 1000 people are on ventilators and 150 people die - every day.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic