Tailored shirt for less than $10??

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Tailored shirt for less than $10??

Post by HappyChappy »

I hear stories of being able to get tailored shirts for just a couple bucks, anyone I speak to is charging $10....tbh that's really not that bad. But are these $2 tailors a thing of the past or are there any still around??

High quality ties and tie clips I'm keen for also, all the ones I've seen suck.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Tailored shirt for less than $10??

Post by nemo »

Never heard of shirts going for $10 even.
A shirt will use 1.8 m off a 1.2 wide meter roll.

I don't believe you could get the fabric for $2
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

HappyChappy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:30 pm I hear stories of being able to get tailored shirts for just a couple bucks, anyone I speak to is charging $10....tbh that's really not that bad. But are these $2 tailors a thing of the past or are there any still around??

High quality ties and tie clips I'm keen for also, all the ones I've seen suck.
I heard there's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis,
but he's a liar and I'm not sure about your story.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

nemo wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:48 pm Never heard of shirts going for $10 even.

Here in the UK you can get off the peg shirts for £4 inc VAT at Primark or ASDA, so $2 for fabric doesn’t sound impossible. It’d be shite fabric of course, but still.

If a $2 tailor did exist I wouldn’t use them, seems like a good way to waste $2.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Luis Futton
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

nerdlinger wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:39 pm
nemo wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:48 pm Never heard of shirts going for $10 even.

Here in the UK you can get off the peg shirts for £4 inc VAT at Primark or ASDA, so $2 for fabric doesn’t sound impossible. It’d be shite fabric of course, but still.

If a $2 tailor did exist I wouldn’t use them, seems like a good way to waste $2.
Fabric or plastic?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It is certainly possible to get a tailored shirt for under $10. However, without mincing my words, it will probably be fucking shite.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

With Gucci, for 1800 $, you can look like shit from the 80's, when people were high on coke with padded vests and weird non-matching colors.
I love the way they took an asian to make it more acceptable for westerners. Looks weird, but hey, asians love it, so maybe we're late you know ?.
At least it proves that money & fabric aren't so important, but taste is.
There is hope, even in Cambodia, with 2$.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I’d hazard a guess it, might be found out in the provinces, where the price of labor is a lot cheaper. Price would strongly depend on material. A shirt made of cheap fabric, maybe.

In terms of where most foreigners live - the big cities - Phnom Penh, and Siem Reap - where the price of cloth and labor are more expensive - probably not.
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

Couple lads I work with tell me the shirts on their back were tailored for a couple bucks. Honestly the people I spoke to showed me their materials and they seemed decent, the craftsmanship however, I'm yet to see.

I'm gonna sink 10 quid and see what the verdict is. It's cufflinks ties and tie clips I still ain't got a clue about. TO THE NIGHT MARKET!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic