looking forward to this::

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

looking forward to this::

Post by phuketrichard »

saw them 15 August 1966 ..... was a wee teenager :beer3:
always been a George favorite
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: looking forward to this::

Post by xandreu »

Me too. As much as I like many of their songs, I wouldn't say I'm the biggest Beatles fan in the world. But there was definitely something about them that set them apart from every other band in the history of popular music, then and since then.

Not only the Beatles, but that whole era of music makes todays pop music an utter embarrassment. There was a real sense back then of people making music just for the fun and creativity of it. Most (not all) acts would write, compose, record and perform their own music, which had their own unique sound and character and really said something about them.

Nowadays it's merely about looking the part. Can't play an instrument or don't even know where to start writing a song? Perfect. You'll just sing the song your management tell you to sing. Oh, you can't even sing? Autotune will sort that out for you.

Apart from a few exceptions, there is no soul, personality, creativity, individuality or character in todays music. All the songs sound the same because they literally are written by just a handful of people who dominate the entire industry.

This Beatles documentary will be an interesting insight into how things used to be done. Properly.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

From the promos, it is not totally "candid camera".
Everybody seems to be hamming it up, or at least quite conscious of presenting their preferred image to the camera.

However the camera work/style is far more 'realistic' than anything i have seen before.
It almost makes them appear, nearly, to be normal mortal human beings. I've never seen that before.
Yeah, looking forward to it too.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

xandreu wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:35 am

Not only the <cut>, but that whole era of music makes todays <cut> music an utter embarrassment. There was a real sense back then of people making music just for the fun and creativity of it. Most (not all) acts would write, compose, record and perform their own music, which had their own unique sound and character and really said something about them.
Interestingly the parents of the youngsters loving the Beatles back then could have said the same about Beatles' music when I leave out the name 'Beatles' and the word 'pop'.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

The movie "Yesterday" was one that falls very much outside my comfort zone but I've watched it 4 or 5 times and I think it captures the uniqueness of "The Beatles" extremely well.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

No offense boomers, but every generation says that. I can recognize how they were influential, but their riffs and lyrics are pretty damn simplistic and dare I say, overrated in many ways.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

They were definitely more interesting when they stopped touring. Very experimental and influential. Kind of preferred the Stones myself or even The Who for pure adrenaline.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

"The Beatles Anthology", a multimedia retrospective project consisting of a television documentary (11+ hours long), a three-volume set of double albums, and a book describing the history of the Beatles, already came out around two decades ago.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I'm very impressed at the way they've made it look as if it was filmed using fairly modern camera equipment - I believe the term is that it's been digitised. If it weren't for the obvious 70's fashions of the era and the outdated recorded equipment, you could be forgiven for thinking it was filmed fairly recently.

I know that most people think of Lennon and McCartney as the main Beatles, but I've always found Ringo Star to be one of the more fascinating and underrated band members. Drum tracks often get overlooked in music and drummers have been likened to monkeys just randomly hitting things with sticks, as if it's the easiest job within a band, but a good drum section can really make or break a track and RIngo has always appeared to carry off some of the most iconic drum tracks with absolute ease. I saw somewhere that RIngo was the only band member who was never told or advised what to do by the other members. They had full faith in whatever he produced. If you think of some of the most iconic Beatles tracks - Strawberry fields, A Day in the life, Here comes the sun, it's the drum tracks that really carry the songs in my opinion.

I also like a band called Keane - their first album (Hopes and fears) remains one of my most favourite albums of all time. But in their second album, they sacked the drummer and decided to go with a drum machine instead. To the untrained ear, it was difficult to hear the difference, but you just know that something isn't right. There's no expression, no character, every beat has the same velocity and it was just awful. I haven't liked a single album of theirs since that first one and it's all down to their decision to replace a real life human drummer, capable of making every beat slightly different in it's individual expressiveness with effectively a synthesised robot who wouldn't understand musical character if it was placed with Apple Bionic A18 Drum Character super advanced processor.

You could say the same about Oasis. And many other bands. Good drummers never ever seem to get the recognition they deserve but if you analyse what makes a good track a good track, you will often see that it's the drums.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic