Rare Reptile "Varanus salvator" Found in Tonle Sap Lake

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Rare Reptile "Varanus salvator" Found in Tonle Sap Lake

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): Tonle Sap authorities recently confirmed that experts have identified a rare reptile which was found in the Tonle Sap Lake.
Prof. Lim Puy, Deputy Chief of the Tonle Sap Authority, disclosed that the reptile discovered was the Varanus salvator, an endangered species listed in the CITES Appendix II list. According to Prof. Lim Puy, the reptile is 80 cm long and weighs 1.1 kg, and the presence of this reptile is a positive sign of the conservation efforts made to the Tonle Sap Lake.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Rare Reptile "Varanus salvator" Found in Tonle Sap Lake

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

One time i was stuck on a floating house on the lake for two months and the only thing i had to read was a copy of the SEA Journal of Parasitology.

Don't tell me i have to worry about one of these weird wrigglies with a latin name ^^ still living in my gut today too!!??
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:43 am One time i was stuck on a floating house on the lake for two months and the only thing i had to read was a copy of the SEA Journal of Parasitology.

Don't tell me i have to worry about one of these weird wrigglies with a latin name ^^ still living in my gut today too!!??
One of the most read parts of that journal was to do with 230 dogs that were randomly selected for the presence of pentastomid parasite.
The study was carried out at Bukuru dog market, Jos-South L.G.A. of Plateau State, Nigeria from May to July, 2017.
A total of 111 dogs were positive
There is a high prevalence of linguatuliasis in the study area and adequate preventive measures should be ensured by dog owners and handlers to avoid the transmission of this parasitic zoonosis among humans, dogs and other intermediate hosts.

Think twice is the answer before eating a canine friend.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:16 am Think twice is the answer before eating a canine friend.
Thanks Andy, one more good reason to convert to Islam as soon as i get back.
No eating dolphins, otters, turtles.. and now you have reminded me, dogs.
Suits my picky tastes. Well, picky for Cambodia.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

Common monitor lizard... We can find them all over southeast asia.

We used to see them all around Singapore and Malaysia.

People used to, and some still belief the meat of a full grown monitor lizard cures asthma. Supposedly the meat is extremely heaty, and warms your insides.

I've eaten it twice. Tasted like goat.

Usually cooked indian style with tons of spices and slow cooked to tenderness.

I could not taste much over the spice either ways.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

ofparadise wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:52 pm Common monitor lizard... We can find them all over southeast asia.
Asian, or Malayan, Water Monitor.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic