Lovely Fremantle

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Lovely Fremantle

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Another day roaming Perth city with a quick trip down to Fremantle. I'm having a bit of a scream making these now with some of the more peculiar characters just being hilarious - eccentrics add color to the canvas of life, I believe.

Summer has hit Perth seemingly overnight after a long wet winter - here comes the heat.

As usual - always open to any criticisms, advice or suggestions.

Have at it.

Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Lovely Fremantle

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I take it by the time of your quick Fremantle trip, you had stopped roamimg; that's quite the meander!

I was in Freo for the America's Cup - I was only 3! - when the "town", as it was back then, first put on its party dress.

I used to go down from Scarborough, most race days, get pissed watching them go out, impersonating a Kookaburra (perfectly) - name of the Australian 12 Metre. Kookaburra 3, to be more precise - and end up stagging out of a bar at 20-pissed stupid o'clock. Every bar had strippers, or closed.

Went for the 1- or 2-month event, and returned to Sydney 13 months later, only to be told, on my return, I had lost my job! Unfair dismissal: I should never have left WA.

I shall enjoy your latest of your safari adventures. Are they still sans-narrative?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

YUk.
Gimmie Freo back in the olden days.
boring old grey beard emoji

Working ports that were just right there - not all walled off, distant and remote like they are these days.
Wharfie's pubs, communist poetry readings (fab girls! if you like them all liberated and uninhibited -and don't mind a bit of hair), real people, real fish and chips. Those great little houses but you could afford to live in them then. A real feeling of revolutionary freedom in the air - and music everywhere.
Hippies, yippies, wharfies and old-school scaffolders all partying on together in perfect sinc.

I spent about 3 months there twice. approx 1980. A great place to relax/party after a stint in the Pilbara or a biz trip to India.
The perfect place to be a drunken sailor on a spree.

I went back there about 10 years ago from Koh Kong for a day and it seemed to have become a bit of a FreoDisney World - a parody trading off its old rep.

I guess its different if you live there - probably a bit of anarchy, rebellion, free thinking and free love still hidden beneath the sheets. ??

Thanx for the mems anyway, Foo.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ Yep, Freo was a nice place back in the day, sadly it got yuppified when the America's Cup came to town.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Funny hearing Fish n chips. Freo was known for that in '87/8.

I saw it as the original, with a new coat of paint. No way it could have sustained a football franchise. Guess I wouldn't recognise the place now, but hopefully they have maintained some of the old look on some streets, and built up elsewhere.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Well... Pseudo.. they couldn't have afforded a football franchise back then. Lucky bastards.
They didn't need to - for a hundred years they had two, real, genuinely tribal, fierce, local football teams.

The first football match was played in Fremantle in the 1880's and teams based in Fremantle won 24 of the 34 WAFL premierships. It was represented for over a century by two very strong clubs, East Fremantle and South Fremantle. However, it was only in 1995 that it got representation in a national Australian Football competition. (ie, franchised away)

An Americas Cup and franchised football will kill even a 100 year old rebellion stone dead.
it seems
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:32 pm Are they still sans-narrative?
Do you mean without dialogue, or subtitled only? My voice sits in a base-ie/baritone kind of register which comes across a bit serious or grave if I'm casually speaking in vids. To make the voice engaging or dynamic takes a lot of performance effort or energy (gee that sounds arty-wanky-knobhead-like)I used to do voice over work, act professionally blah blah blah, but the vids I enjoy making are more observational - just wandering around shooting what pops up. It does seem I may not have a choice however, as finding background music is a huge time drain with copyright claims looming at every turn - copyright free music is just awful and can't be used.

Three copyright strikes on YouTube and you're out/banned! The tracks on the last two vids were sourced from the artist with him taking a portion of any moneys made, which is fair. That's fine now while it's just a giggle and a bit of fun, but screw that for a long term proposition should I decide to take this YouTube malarky a bit more seriously.
Last edited by Kung-fu Hillbilly on Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

I worked on a fishing boat off Gauge Rhodes, Fremantle, at the time of the Americas cup. Wind blew up for a few days and we were stuck on the leeward side of the island with no money and bored out of our heads. I told the skipper I'd row ashore with a couple of sacks of snapper, emperor etc and sell the fish so we could go to the pub on Rottnest. The island was full of wealthy Italians, French, English, Americans etc of course....and I sold everything making hundreds of dollars. We were pissed for days. Good times.

Prior to the America's Cup "beautification", old Fremantle had more characters than a Warner Brother's animation lot. There are still a couple of old timers about, but, well...
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

oumedc love the music at the start who is that
Shadow of the Bluff by Pierce Murphy is available on Spotify, Apple Music, and anywhere else you listen to music.
piercemurphymusic.com
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Remember staying at the Firestation Backpacker Hostel many years ago..some of the worst rooms but the common area had a kind of vibrant atmosphere.I still have friends whom I met first time there.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic