How Many Stupid Deaths from Electrocutions in Cambodia ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Many people die every day in Cambodia from electric shocks.
RIP
Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): At 8:00 pm on November 24, 2021, in Choam Chao 1, Khan Por Senchey, an unidentified young man was electrocuted and died instantly.
Unfortunately, the cause of the electrocution has not been determined.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: How Many Stupid Deaths from Electrocutions in Cambodia ?

Post by cambo swa »

It has always "shocked me" how cavalier Cambodians are with electricity. I have seen things at our company that even if you have no education there should have been some common sense learned in life to keep you from doing very risky decisions with electricity. Yes, there are many avoidable unbelievable electrocutions in Cambodia especially at construction sites (metal ladder placed on high voltage electric wires) but I wonder even more how many fires are started based on just plain bad decisions? Fortunately after 10 years we have not had any serious incidents with our staff but it is not because they haven't tried.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

All of them.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It’s funny that this thread comes up today, after the shennanigans last night and today….
Our lights started flickering again last night, as they do during heavy rain and thunderstorms. (Except it wasn’t raining)

And then it went dark.

The neighbours were talking about fire and stuff, but given that Cambodians insist on using the same word for different, and mutually incompatible effects, it’s hard to establish whether Bat Phleung is good or bad, on or off, or just a statement that one should run away. I’ve never heard anyone use the actual word for electricity.

អគ្គិសនី

Akkisani

Even EDC electricians this morning kept yelling

Bat phleung (turn off)
Bat phleung (turn on)
Bat phleung, bat phleung (turn it off again, I think….)

That’s the guy upstairs yelling to the guy down stairs to turn the main breaker on or off (or maybe just changing the state from whatever it is now, to the other option)

Two photos coming…

The cause of our issues, melted terminal blocks on the incoming supply, then taped, then taped together, but sat in what is a serious overflow from the gutters during heavy rain.

This

EDC electrician. Fixed. He’s cut the old terminal block out, twisted the wires together, taped them up, kept them separate.
A well deserved pat on the back for job well fucking done. Chat for twice as long as it took to fix the problem, and then fucked off.

I’m now informed that everything is ok. But if we have any more problems, they can do a better perfect job if someone pays…

Stalemate.

We’ve been having issues for a while, now, and the main breaker is downstairs, accessible by the landlady. The same landlady who left her wok cooking, and we woke up one night to an apartment full of smoke. Her cooking area is right next to her clothes drying area. (Previous fire averted!)
The main breaker usually trips. It’s lower rated than our upstairs breaker which is 20A.

Try explaining to a local electrician what amps and volts are!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

cambo swa wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:31 am It has always "shocked me" how cavalier Cambodians are with electricity. I have seen things at our company that even if you have no education there should have been some common sense learned in life to keep you from doing very risky decisions with electricity. Yes, there are many avoidable unbelievable electrocutions in Cambodia especially at construction sites (metal ladder placed on high voltage electric wires) but I wonder even more how many fires are started based on just plain bad decisions? Fortunately after 10 years we have not had any serious incidents with our staff but it is not because they haven't tried.
Cavalier is definitely the most appropriate term.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Freightdog wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:01 pm

I've been fortunate enough to work with many of the best trained electricians and electrical engineers in this country for years

"Caan gizinee" save the day quite often

Anyhow the fuxktards twisting wires together in our houses when shit goes wrong aren't electricians. They are just chancers with some basic knowhow and a cheaper proxy than losing ones own life fucking with another's mess of bad wiring

The real guys are busy working with full osha rules and making four figure monthly salaries with benefits and don't need to bother with domestic electricity nightmares or nonsense
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

An Englishman i know sent an uneducated kid into his leaky boat with an electric drill in my town one day.
He forgot to explain the water thing.
RIP kid.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:23 pm
Freightdog wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:01 pm

I've been fortunate enough to work with many of the best trained electricians and electrical engineers in this country for years

"Caan gizinee" save the day quite often

Anyhow the fuxktards twisting wires together in our houses when shit goes wrong aren't electricians. They are just chancers with some basic knowhow and a cheaper proxy than losing ones own life fucking with another's mess of bad wiring

The real guys are busy working with full osha rules and making four figure monthly salaries with benefits and don't need to bother with domestic electricity nightmares or nonsense
What gets me is that these guys were in EDC uniforms, with EDC vehicle. Blatant…..

Does anyone have a decent domestic electrician they can recommend?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There was a German woman here way back who was fixing up a premises to open a bar/ restaurant. It was the same building that later became the Gym Bar. I can't remember the exact details, but I think she had her feet soaking in a basin of warm water and accidentally dropped a power tool in. Anyway she was electrocuted. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Stupid is as stupid does

Local communes could easily have training classes for free about proper safety protocols when dealing with electricity, I 1000% believe that would work extremely well in province.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic