Student Hacked to Death While Eating on Riverside

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Student Hacked to Death While Eating on Riverside

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): At 1:50 pm on November 21, 2021, a customer eating at a riverside snack bar in Sangkat Chroy Changva, Khan Chroy Changva, Phnom Penh, was stabbed to death by a gang of men, who arrived at the scene wielding swords and knives.
The victim was identified as Sin Sokhon, a law student aged about 30, from Takeo province.
Police are still searching for the suspects and a motive for the attack has not yet been established.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Student Hacked to Death While Eating on Riverside

Post by IraHayes »

Jilted or jealous boyfriend/husband.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

According to some news outlets, the motive for the murder was possibly political.

Updated: CNRP Activist Slain Overnight in Phnom Penh, Witness Recalls Slashing

5 min read

Ananth Baliga
| Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:11 pm

An opposition activist was killed around 1 a.m. Sunday in Phnom Penh, with a witness saying she saw him running from near Wat Chas as assailants slashed his body with a sword.

Sin Khon, an activist for the outlawed CNRP, was previously attacked in May when struck in the back of the head, similar to some of the assaults against several other opposition activists since the party’s dissolution in 2017.

Srey Nuth, a 31-year-old food vendor outside Chroy Changva’s Wat Chas, said she was cleaning up her stall around 1 a.m. when she saw the attack.

“He was running from there,” she said, pointing toward Wat Chas. “He fell over there,” Nuth said, moving her finger toward the front step of her shop. “And then they slashed him over here.”

The vendor is just one street over from the pagoda. The activist fell on a metal ramp on the sidewalk in front of her food cart.

“The dishwasher saw it happen and called out for help, but there was no one to help. I grabbed my son and ran inside. I panicked,” Nuth said, unable to identify the number of attackers. “There was blood everywhere and it was flowing into the sewage drain.”

The activist had bought beef stomach about an hour before the attack, she said.

“He was kind and soft spoken. I feel terribly sorry he was killed. I feel bad and pity for him. I wish I had CCTV to help with the investigation.”

The vendor said police and an ambulance took the body away before returning it, though a monk at Wat Chas said the activist had been brought inside still alive.

The monk, who declined to be named, saying the incident was too political, said Khon had lived at the pagoda for around 10 years.

“Sin Khon was my assistant, my disciple. He was a CNRP youth activist as well,” he said.

On Sunday morning, there were straw mats laid out in Wat Chas. Khon’s body lay in the middle with a white cloth placed over his body as incense burned. There were monks, friends and family seated around, some people trickling in to pay their respects. A few police officers stood around.

The monk said Khon’s body had four gashes on his back and right leg, as if “hit with a samurai sword.”

He added that Khon had been “an outspoken and active youth.”

The monk recalled the first attack against Khon in May, which happened around 8 a.m. in broad daylight. The activist was beaten on the back of the head and hand.

“This attack was to traumatize him,” he said, suggesting that Khon had also received death threats, without elaborating.

A mechanic working outside Wat Chas was reluctant to answer questions about the incident. He said vaguely that he had received a call around 2 a.m. from his brother, who sounded panicked while asking to be picked up.

Pressed for more details, the mechanic said he had been asked not to speak to the media.

“The police asked me not to talk to journalists,” he said. “I was not here so I do not need to give you my phone number and I was asked not to talk to journalists.”

The monk from Wat Chas said a mechanic was usually outside the front gate of the pagoda and could have witnessed the murder.

A bar employee right next to Wat Chas said the bar and riverfront area were packed with people drinking and celebrating the Water Festival holidays. He did not know if Khon was drinking nearby, and only saw a commotion around 1 a.m. when the attack took place.

Sin Yon, Khon’s older sister, said the family was alerted by local Champa commune police where they live in Takeo province’s Prey Kabbas district around 4 a.m. early Sunday morning. She had little information about the murder, and police had only told her that her brother was dead after being slashed.
https://vodenglish.news/cnrp-activist-s ... -slashing/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

The dark underbelly of Cambodian politics. The last thing they need is and a young and educated man getting a following here. Far easier to deal with him while he's an unknown.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Fucking hell.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:07 pm Fucking hell.
I'm surprised it made the news with that political element explicitly mentioned, unless it was approved and designed to act of a warning to others.

I wonder if this is the last news report we will ever see about this?
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Another Kem Ley assasinated ?
They don't want an opposition do they?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

An arrest has been made.
Cambodia News (Phnom Penh) On 25 November 2021, the Investigating Judge of the Phnom Penh Municipal Court decided to detain Mr. Sieng Chhoroth in the Phnom Penh Municipal Prison pending legal procedings, on charges of premeditated murder under Article 200 of the Criminal Code.

According to the order of the investigating judge, the accused Sieng Chhoroth, alias Thom, a 29-year-old male construction worker, was placed under judicial supervision (detention). He could face up to life in prison if convicted.

The accused was arrested by the Chroy Changvar District Military Police on the afternoon of November 22 after he allegedly killed the victim, Sin Khon, by cutting him with a machete around 1:30 am. on 21 November 2021, in front of the old pagoda in Sangkat Chroy Changva, Khan Chroy Changva, Phnom Penh. Sieng Chhoroth has reportedly confessed to the crime, but the motive for the killing is unclear.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Just a personal grievance then.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Comment By UN HR Office Spokesperson On Killing Of Cambodian Human Right Defender And Refoulements From Thailand
Saturday, 4 December 2021, 6:31 am
Press Release: UN High Commissioner for Human Rights

GENEVA (3 December 2021) – “We are shocked by the recent killing of Sin Khon, near his home in Phnom Penh on 21 November. Mr Sin Khon was affiliated with the Cambodia National Rescue Party (CNRP) that was disbanded by the Supreme Court in 2017. He had been previously attacked by unidentified assailants in May this year, sustaining several injuries, and had received anonymous threatening phone calls.

We note that a suspect has been arrested but are concerned by certain inconsistencies between the official version of events offered by the authorities and information received by our office. We call for an independent and impartial investigation into this crime.
https://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO2112/ ... ailand.htm

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic