Fakes - and how to spot them

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Fakes - and how to spot them

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Swiss Army Knife

That ding when the knife opens - that dong when closes.
No other knife can do that. You cant fake it because it is the very echo of its excellence.
If you found one that made the same sound it would have to be made with the same level of mastercraftsmanship. And that is impossible.
All copies are silent, or make a dead clunk.

Infallible, according to the top tech bloke at Victornox.

yeah well, it's Saturday night and i ain't got a date
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Fakes - and how to spot them

Post by Username Taken »

SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Fake ^^

the Bee Gees hair styles was the real thing
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

You've got me there Stern.

Not sure whether to reply with Russell Morris' Real Thing, Coke is the real thing, Kylie Minogue, or Cold Chisel's Saturday Night.

Maybe you should take a wander up to the Cross for some night fever.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

The real thing

SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Username Taken wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:17 pm Maybe you should take a wander up to the Cross for some night fever
Good thinking, Ute

(thats Sally Anne at min 1;10, for those that knew, loved and miss the old Kings Cross.
But even more boring than staying home playing with my Swiss Army knife on a Saturday night these days)
blueman.cambodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by blueman.cambodia »

SternAAlbifrons .... I think you are not familiar with the copying that goes on in Vietnam.

Swiss Army Knife - only a sample studied in Metallurgy can determine if the best of the fakes made there are not genuine.

Zippo Lighters - the copies made are so well done, there are numerous stories of guys buying those $4 Vietnamese copies that had a later mechanical failure, have taken it to Zippo shops worldwide where the seller could not pick the difference, and replaced them with a genuine zippo under their life time warranty.

Louis Vuitton - the best of them appeared so genuine, LV opened outlets in Hanoi and Saigon without any real plan to make sales, for the sole reason of doing so, to enact copyright laws in Vietnam. Prior to that, LV fakes were legal in Vietnam and accounted for well over half of the fakes distributed world wide.

Harley Davidson - a buddy of mine dropped his Harley on an oil slick in Vung Tau severely damaging the side that slid across the pavement. He took those damaged parts to a shop in Ba Ria and had them all replaced by authentic looking copies made on site.

Vintage car parts - in Saigon, near the Benh Thanh markets is a large metal shop that can perfectly replicate any unobtainable part for old cars. For example, a hub cab for a 1951 Edsel, a radiator for a model A Ford, or even a head light for a 1930 model Rolls Royce. A company in USA advertise "rare spares" and enlist that particular workshop to make the otherwise unobtainable parts.

Precious Gems - they have honed the art of synthesizing and dying cheap gemstones it to what would appear to be sapphires, topaz and diamonds. So authentic in appearance which they have even been able to introduce flaws to make them look even more authentic, the fake can only be established by use of expensive equipment. (Dichroscope, Polariscope and/or Spectroscope)

Perfumes - of the best copies, only a chemical analysis can determine it is not a genuine Chanel number 5.

Levis jeans - genuine authentic replicas... just $8 a pair
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

You may be right Bluey. But i find it very hard to believe that a Vietnamese copyist can replicate a dozen different highly developed metallurgical skills that the Swiss have taken centuries - a their highly refined engineering mindset - to develop.

If you watch an hour doco of SA knives being manufactured you will maybe see what i mean.
I don't think you even VN ingenuity and some multi-million dollar high-tech machines could fake that Swiss mindset and their metallurgical mastery.

Its a bit like saying a VN fake Rolls Royce is near close to the real thing. Simply not possible except in appearance.

But willing to be proved wrong :mrgreen: specially if they are super cheap.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Fake people use all these expensive branded things you mention (genuine or not), real people not so much.

Always been a good compass to me.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Yes you are right Ghost, mostly.
but obviously, that doesn't apply to Swiss Army knifes.

lol..... and next time you see me in a Rolls Royce you can call me anything you like.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic