Kyle Rittenhouse Acquitted of All Charges

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse Acquitted of All Charges

Post by nemo »

It all went wrong about the time jfk and mlk were shot along with others.
No point in arguing the wrongs here.
This is meant to be a Cambodia forum.
This American political bickering gets old after a while.
It is astonishing to see non Americans being so partisan about events that do not concern them.
Especially weird to see Brits, Aussies and Kiwis being vociferous pro gun supporters when they are mostly barred from owning guns except under strict conditions.
Last edited by nemo on Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Big Daikon wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:28 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:17 am But reasonable people can agree to disagree ey, no guns required :good:
If we can't agree on the definition of a woman, then we really can't share a society.
I envy the life where women carry such importance. To me it's something on TV, like zebras.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

ItWasntMe wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:54 am
Big Daikon wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:28 am
ItWasntMe wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:17 am But reasonable people can agree to disagree ey, no guns required :good:
If we can't agree on the definition of a woman, then we really can't share a society.
I envy the life where women carry such importance. To me it's something on TV, like zebras.
Are we still allowed to say women? Getting off topic, but it follows my previous argument.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

For everyone who (like me) thought he was guilty as fuck, Planet America did this very good explainer on Friday's show, taped before the verdict came out. Well worth a look.

(11 minute clip)

I still don't think people should be playing vigilante cops though.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

TheImplication wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:40 am
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:48 am]

You missed the issue. Why did he go there in first place? It was stated to protect the community. Vigilantism, right there.
If not, why would you enter a place of danger, knowing it was such? Does he always go out packing?
I realise you will reply with "go where you like." But I would say, he went there with the purpose of protecting the community by attempting to cease the looting.

Before you jump down my throat, I am trying to grasp how he got off, unscathed, having not followed the story.
Protecting property isn’t vigilantism and neither is self defense, it’s a basic human right. The whole argument about “why was he there in the first place” is akin to blaming a woman who is raped on what she was wearing.
To wrap it up, again, it was mentioned he went to protect the community, not property. Community, to me, indicates people, ergo: Vigilanism.

Even if it were property:

"Vigilantism

Taking the law into one's own hands and attempting to effect justice according to one's own understanding of right and wrong; action taken by a voluntary association of persons who organize themselves for the purpose of protecting a common interest, such as liberty, property, or personal security;..."
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

nemo wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:51 am Especially weird to see Brits, Aussies and Kiwis being vociferous pro gun supporters when they are mostly barred from owning guns except under strict conditions.
I haven't read the whole thread but I'd be surprised to read as many Brits, Aussies and Kiwis being pro-gun as you're sort of making out. Especially Brits.

I can assure you that the overwhelming consensus in the UK with regards to gun laws are that people are perfectly happy with how the laws stand at the moment, with extremely strict gun control. It is possible to own them, but (a) you have to jump through many, many legal loopholes to get a gun licence, which regularly get reviewed, and (b) we are just not a gun-focused culture. Most people live their lives quite happily without a single serious thought about trying to obtain a gun. It's just not in our DNA.

No offence to our American friends here, but we do often stand in shock horror at the latest in a long line of mass shootings that appear to have just happened across the pond. But I realise that gun control is a much more complicated issue than simply saying 'ok, guns are now banned!'
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:50 pm For everyone who (like me) thought he was guilty as fuck, Planet America did this very good explainer on Friday's show, taped before the verdict came out. Well worth a look.

(11 minute clip)

I still don't think people should be playing vigilante cops though.
Interesting video. Thanks!
The video touches upon the legal differences between rifles and pistols. I carried one of my father's rifles as a teen when I went hunting with him (deer, partridge), but I had to legally wait until I turned 21 to purchase a pistol. Concealability seems to be the main issue. I can shove a pistol in my pocket, whereas a rifle is hard to hide. Also, culturally, pistols are more associated with the police and the military.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

nemo wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:51 am It all went wrong about the time jfk and mlk were shot along with others.
No point in arguing the wrongs here.
This is meant to be a Cambodia forum.
This American political bickering gets old after a while.
It is astonishing to see non Americans being so partisan about events that do not concern them.
Especially weird to see Brits, Aussies and Kiwis being vociferous pro gun supporters when they are mostly barred from owning guns except under strict conditions.
God forbid anyone should discuss important events that didn’t happen in Cambodia in a section dedicated to exactly that kind of topic.
The clue’s in the title, ‘The rest of the world’, if you’re not happy with a thread, you can always exercise your freedom to not click on it.
As for your concerns on non-Americans voicing opinions about events in America, by the same logic? non-Cambodians should not be posting about events in Cambodia, but then CEO traffic would be a little light don’t you think?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Big Daikon wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:58 am
Are we still allowed to say women? Getting off topic, but it follows my previous argument.
Imagine, in the future, when your non-binary-specific-gender-identified-but-still-largely-human offspring announce they are bringing an individual-friend home to meet you.

And they thought Sidney Poitier and cast were pushing the boundaries with Guess who’s coming to dinner?
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:42 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:58 am
Imagine, in the future, when your non-binary-specific-gender-identified-but-still-largely-human offspring announce they are bringing an individual-friend home to meet you.

And they thought Sidney Poitier and cast were pushing the boundaries with Guess who’s coming to dinner?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic