Facebook- Account deleted, or Facebook failure again?

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Facebook- Account deleted, or Facebook failure again?

Post by Freightdog »

First Off, I really don’t like Facebook or messenger. I use it only as a convenience as the other half uses messenger. I also don’t understand it much.

This evening, after contacting a local company that runs everything through their Facebook presence, my Facebook account was deleted by Facebook. A few weeks ago, Messenger was disabled by some outage.
Is this a global issue (my account being closed)? Or something more specific to my account in particular?

They say my account doesn’t meet community guidelines, or some such obscure reason. Given that I have 1 Facebook contact (SWMBO), and More than a few messenger contacts, and membership of a few Facebook ‘clubs’ like car club memberships, I find it very hard to see what offence this might cause. Unless there is a minimum number of Friends that they expect you to have.

It is hugely inconvenient, though, as I normally use Messenger to keep in contact with the family when overseas.

To top it all, Facebook provide no practical means of contacting them to ask them wtf they are up to.

Any thoughts on how I might get around this problem, or what might be at the root of the issue, assuming Facebook globally hasn’t been affected?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Facebook- Account deleted, or Facebook failure again?

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:51 pm
They say my account doesn’t meet community guidelines,
That's the key thing, you are probably an anti social lizard people believer, or at least Facebook's algorithm decided you might be.

You broke their rule, you're out.

Oh, but welcome to the metasphere in the future...
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

So…

As a social platform, Facebook is demonstrating that it is unreliable in this regard, and unfit for purpose? Cannot be used for such things as being social, and remaining in contact with people.

Good to know. Or rather, have confirmed. Again.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Request an account review from the link on this page:
https://m.facebook.com/help/10387310637 ... aq_content

Does your Facebook profile use your real name?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

more and more social media rears its ugly head,
how many are reliant on social media for everything?
reliant on ur smart phone? ( how many of you all know someones elses phone #)
many people's life would be upset if they lost their "tools"/ access ?

People get upset with me if i dont respond in a short time on messenger or whatsapp>
i dont carry my phone with me and even so it does not have internet access, of which i only have via my laptop,
i dont need, nor want be "connected" 24/7
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:02 pm Request an account review from the link on this page:
https://m.facebook.com/help/10387310637 ... aq_content

Does your Facebook profile use your real name?
This.

Have several friends who lost their accounts due to using creative pseudonyms. Nothing offensive but if you get reported and they think you are using a fake name they require ID verification to reopen the account.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

I'd almost guess that someone hacked your account and spammed others with it, as it doesn't seem like they'd have any real valid reason to delete your account based on your usage. Who knows though.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I remember this happened to me a while ago. I assumed someone reported me for using a fake name - I didn't - but I had to provide photo ID to prove I am who I said I am.

I would delete Shitbook in a heartbeat if I could. It's unbelievable what they are allowed to get away with. Zuckerberg himself is quoted as calling people 'Dumbs F*cks' for trusting him with their data. The epitome of what happens to an unregulated industry that, for all the talk to 'curb their power', very little is done, so they naturally act with absolute impunity. I don't blame them - they're a business and are simply doing what the system allows them to get away with. It's the utter lack of regulation that's the issue.

Like most people, I do need to keep an account running to keep in touch with friends and family back home, plus it's also kind of essential living here in Cambodia where most companies can't afford or don't have the know-how to run their own websites so use Shitbook as an alternative. I try to limit the data I give it to the bare minimum such as a fake date of birth, but even that is useless when everyone sends you Happy Birthday messages on your real birthday anyway.

But back to the OP, it does sound like they don't think you are who you say you are. Why a company who's entire business model is based on selling your private data needs to know your real name is anyone's guess?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

I use a fake names ( s) and got about 10 different accounts because at least half are banned at any given times .
I hate it but it’s all we got here , I would never use my real name / face .
Once they asked for an id , so I gave a fake i.d. They keep threatening to delete my accounts but it never happens .

Proud to comment to idiots on there how stupid they are …
Piss on their stupid ass community standards …
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

General Mackevili wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:53 am I'd almost guess that someone hacked your account and spammed others with it, as it doesn't seem like they'd have any real valid reason to delete your account based on your usage. Who knows though.
Agree. Two friends separately had their FB accounts stolen, just recently. Seems to be getting far more common.

Don't know if it's related but I just noticed dozens of notifications of people wanting to send me a message. All of them used sexy photos of white girls. I bulk deleted all of them. Bye bye, Ahmed, Vitaly, Chan, Abdul and Viktor.
Last edited by ExPenhMan on Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic