Metaverse: 5 things to know about tech's latest buzzword

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Metaverse: 5 things to know about tech's latest buzzword

Post by xandreu »

There has been a theory buzzing around the science world for a while now that describes this very scenario. It goes something along the lines of the fact that, once it becomes technologically possible, every advanced civilisation will inevitably want to build some form of a simulated reality. If that's the case, there's a very good chance that we're living in a very advanced version of the metaverse right now. A real-life Matrix if you will. And to take it one step further, if we're living in one now and we're starting to build our own, who's to say that the 'Matrix' the created us is real or part of another simulation? And whatever created that, is part of it's own etc... How far up the rabbit hole does it go?

Crazy when you think about it. But if true, it would go some way to explaining some of the biggest mysteries in science that have yet to be solved.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

xandreu wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:36 pm There has been a theory buzzing around the science world for a while now that describes this very scenario. It goes something along the lines of the fact that, once it becomes technologically possible, every advanced civilisation will inevitably want to build some form of a simulated reality. If that's the case, there's a very good chance that we're living in a very advanced version of the metaverse right now. A real-life Matrix if you will. And to take it one step further, if we're living in one now and we're starting to build our own, who's to say that the 'Matrix' the created us is real or part of another simulation? And whatever created that, is part of it's own etc... How far up the rabbit hole does it go?

Crazy when you think about it. But if true, it would go some way to explaining some of the biggest mysteries in science that have yet to be solved.
Wouldn’t it be a total mind bend if we discovered we had been so far into layers of metaverses that we had forgotten, or had never been aware?
I hate that I am unlikely to be alive to be part of the great unwrapping/emergence
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

violet wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:42 pm
xandreu wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:36 pm There has been a theory buzzing around the science world for a while now that describes this very scenario. It goes something along the lines of the fact that, once it becomes technologically possible, every advanced civilisation will inevitably want to build some form of a simulated reality. If that's the case, there's a very good chance that we're living in a very advanced version of the metaverse right now. A real-life Matrix if you will. And to take it one step further, if we're living in one now and we're starting to build our own, who's to say that the 'Matrix' the created us is real or part of another simulation? And whatever created that, is part of it's own etc... How far up the rabbit hole does it go?

Wouldn’t it be a total mind bend if we discovered we had been so far into layers of metaverses that we had forgotten, or had never been aware?
I hate that I am unlikely to be alive to be part of the great unwrapping/emergence
If we are living in an advance form of the metaverse, we're unlikely to know because it would be almost infinitely improbable that we were 'base reality' so to speak. Meaning that whatever created us must, itself, be inside of a simulation, and whatever created that must also be inside of a simulation, and whatever created etc...

It's not fringe science either. There are many credible physicists taking it seriously right now. Even Elon Musk has famously declared that the chances of us being in some kind of simulation far outweigh the chances that we are not. There are far too many 'cosmological constants' in the universe that have to be precisely the way that they are in order for the universe, and ultimately life to exist. Yet there is no reason whatsoever as to why these constants are what they are. They range from the speed of light, to the strength of gravity, how time behaves, the strong and weak nuclear forces which bind atoms together, and a whole host of other constants that must be the very speed or state that they are, otherwise the universe could not exist.

Nobody knows where these constants came from or how they came to be just right, in order to give us the stable universe that we see around us today, and ultimately give rise to life.

Simulation theory - the theory that we are already living inside of some advanced metaverse that was deliberately designed - does go some way to explaining a lot of that.

It's fascinating once you start getting into it.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

So, how does each sub simulation exist without the original still existing? And if the original must exist (I don’t know), HOW does it still exist?
Would we expect the original pre-simulation experience to be much like our pre simulation experience (by that I mean pre our now developing metaverse/s)?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

violet wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:51 pm So, how does each sub simulation exist without the original still existing? And if the original must exist (I don’t know), HOW does it still exist?
Would we expect the original pre-simulation experience to be much like our pre simulation experience (by that I mean pre our now developing metaverse/s)?
Well, they all co-exist at the same time, with each one only aware of the one they themselves created.

Imagine if SuperMario one day became conscious in his 2 dimensional world. He'd realise that all these blocks he has to hit his head on, all these mushrooms he has to jump over (I forget how to play the game properly but you get what I mean) imagine if he one day decided to study each element of his world more closely. He'd see that everything seemed to be made up of the different variations of the same thing - pixels. No matter what he looked at, he'd see that it was nothing more than a bunch of pixels. Much in the same way we now know that everything is made up of nothing more than molecules - different arrangements atoms.

Not only that, but SupMario notices that when he moves too far right or left of his 2D world, the world in front and behind of him seems to just disappear off the screen. He can only see what's being rendered on the screen at any one time. Anything outside of the screen seems to just not exist anymore. Quantum physics has shown us that this is also the case for our reality. Check out the 'double slit' experiment, an experiment done in the 1920s which nobody has still managed to work out. It essentially shows that particles behave differently depending on whether they are being observed by a conscious observer or not. In fact, quantum mechanics proves that nothing exists as a definitive state until is it observed. Almost as if the universe renders only what it needs to.

I could go on all day about this. I personally find it all extremely fascinating once you start going down the rabbit hole. And as crazy as some of it seems, it is actual, quantifiable science, backed up by real scientists who've done real, peer-reviewed experiments. Even Einstein had trouble accepting some aspects of quantum physics.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

xandreu wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:31 pm
violet wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:51 pm So, how does each sub simulation exist without the original still existing? And if the original must exist (I don’t know), HOW does it still exist?
Well, they all co-exist at the same time, with each one only aware of the one they themselves created.

Imagine if SuperMario one day became conscious in his 2 dimensional world. He'd realise that all these blocks he has to hit his head on, all these mushrooms he has to jump over (I forget how to play the game properly but you get what I mean) imagine if he one day decided to study each element of his world more closely. He'd see that everything seemed to be made up of the different variations of the same thing - pixels. No matter what he looked at, he'd see that it was nothing more than a bunch of pixels. Much in the same way we now know that everything is made up of nothing more than molecules - different arrangements atoms.

Not only that, but SupMario notices that when he moves too far right or left of his 2D world, the world in front and behind of him seems to just disappear off the screen. He can only see what's being rendered on the screen at any one time. Anything outside of the screen seems to just not exist anymore. Quantum physics has shown us that this is also the case for our reality. Check out the 'double slit' experiment, an experiment done in the 1920s which nobody has still managed to work out. It essentially shows that particles behave differently depending on whether they are being observed by a conscious observer or not. In fact, quantum mechanics proves that nothing exists as a definitive state until is it observed. Almost as if the universe renders only what it needs to.

I could go on all day about this. I personally find it all extremely fascinating once you start going down the rabbit hole. And as crazy as some of it seems, it is actual, quantifiable science, backed up by real scientists who've done real, peer-reviewed experiments. Even Einstein had trouble accepting some aspects of quantum physics.
Simulation theory

It's very possible that we do exist in a simulation

Makes more sense than the creation myths and all that nonsense
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic