Tiny ant-like things

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Tiny ant-like things

Post by Kammekor »

nemo wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:00 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:57 pm
nemo wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:51 pm supermarket laundry section or the markets
បូរ៉ាក់
bau rea k
I tried 'bau rak' and all I got was blind stares of misunderstanding....
Will try again next time I'm in PP to arm up for the December war against the fire ant explosion in my garden.
Show them the Khmer script
Thai Hout formerly had that 20 mule team borax stuff a few years back.
will try
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

From the FB group: Where to get stuff in Phonm Penh:
Borax is the common name for Sodium Borate, the Sodium salt of Boric acid. Boric acid is specifically sold as an insect killer specifically for ants and cockroaches. You will probably find it under a brand name in the insecticide section of your nearest supermarket. If you fail to find it there you can buy it in Cambodian superstore on street 1986 , about $2. Borax is sold as a laundry product. As such it is not ground to such a fine powder as the ant killer. It will work but maybe not as quickly. Boric acid works by being picked up by the insects and carried home where it grinds the joints of the insects and kills them.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

xandreu wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:37 pm Image

No, they're not rice weefils. Here's a picture I just took of them. They're so small it's hard to get the camera to focus. I've never looked at them this close before, and now that I have, they do look more ant-like than I imagined. But they are much smaller.
You need to put something recognizable like a cigarette next to them for scale. How small are we talking about? There are these almost invisible ones that turn up in my house the odd time when someone drops a crumb on the floor. I just find the end of the route or the door they are entering through and spray that spot with Black Flag.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic