British Woman, Brenda Wells, Passed Away in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: British Woman, Brenda Wells, Passed Away in Phnom Penh

Post by ItWasntMe »

Sorry for your loss.

R.I.P. Brenda
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

My condolences to you and your family. Sorry for your loss.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Sorry for your troubles
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

IraHayes wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:59 am My mother was born in 1947 and married my father when she was 20. She had 4 children. Carol, myself, Sharon and our younger brother Michael. She was always there when we woke up and she saw us to school and was there when we went to bed. She spent her entire life looking after us and even as we all grew up and moved away she was there. While I was studying my A-levels my mum started fostering children. She did this as a short term foster parent with my father and over the course of 25 years they took in and cared for over 120 children from the ages of 5 to 16. She was involved with Social Services a lot during this time and then as they got older my mother stopped fostering and then started a Youth Club in our local village. She ran this with a few other people but she was on the Village Hall committee in our village for many years following this. While she was not educated in the sense of University but if she felt something was not best for the village she would speak up.
She has taken care of Hannah and Daniel the same as any Cambodian grandmother would take care of their grandchildren and she was definitely the "boss". It was always "Nana said no papa" or "Nana said yes papa".
It is only now that she has passed that I am seeing posts from people i never knew but they knew my mum and it has been heartwarming to see how many lives she touched.
My younger sister, who is emigrated to Australia 25 years ago, is going to contact a local Buddhist temple and the plan is for her and the friends and family over there to have a small ceremony and she wants to have a small shrine, like we will have, for my mother in her home. And I have told her the monks at her local pagoda will help her with any questions and if there's a ceremony that maybe she can have for mum, there.

Once this is all over and some normality returns to my life I am going to try and document my experiences with my mums death and hopefully this information will help others who find themselves in this unfortunate situation.
But I will say one thing and that is that Evergreen Funeral services have been beyond amazing in ensuring the ceremony and cremation could go ahead swiftly and without any paperwork issues. Anyway, I will give more details when I make the thread in the future. So, thank you Dusty. You have created order from chaos and for that I am eternally grateful.
"Mother Brenda". People who are the topic of choking me up should have a title. Mums are so often The Unsung Heroes. Thanks for sharing the unofficial eulogy. Nice one! Sorry for your loss at this time.

Can't work now. That's my day done.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:25 am RIP “Mrs Robert’s Mum”

She had become such a familiar part of the small circle of friends, here.
Thanks for everything you have done for us. From looking after the kids for the night and all the running around you’ve done for us. It will not be forgotten. Today when I was at Samaki market, which is directly across from us and the street we are in is full of vendors in the morning, the lady who mum bought chicken fillets from stopped me as she had heard of mums passing. Luckily, I had my iPad on me so I was able to show her some photos of the initial ceremony and in my extremely bad Khmer, I was able to tell her that my mum would be cremated tomorrow. She was clearly delighted that my mother was having a “proper” send off. She pressed some money into my hand and I now have a much deeper understanding of why people do this.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

You’re very welcome, although it’s not much.

At times like this, it’s reassuring that some indelible mark is left; especially in a community that can sometimes seem so different, yet ultimately many of the same values are true.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

My sincere condolences to you and your family. Sorry for your loss. Your mother sounded to be a very remarkable lady.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

My sincere condolences.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Thanks for sharing. If it's any comfort, dying at home with the people you love, is not the worst way to go.
Thoughts to Brenda's family. She sounds like a remarkable person who will be deeply missed.
I wish you all strength and peace.
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

Sorry for your loss. You obviously had a very loving and caring mother who gave a lot to this world. I didn't know her but am inspired by her life. RIP Brenda
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic