Drunk Angry Foreigner Causes Scene in Phnom Penh Drink Shop

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Drunk Angry Foreigner Causes Scene in Phnom Penh Drink Shop

Post by John Bingham »

WillieW wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:49 pm I really don't know why cambodians put up with these drunk nasty ugly foreigners.
They generally don't. That's why this relatively minor incident is in the news.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
WillieW
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by WillieW »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:46 pm
WillieW wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:49 pm I really don't know why cambodians put up with these drunk nasty ugly foreigners.
that's what I thought
Be your own toy.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

WillieW wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:56 pm
that's what I thought
How is this even news? Last week in Siem Reap an off duty cop opened fire in a local restaurant after a drunken dispute. The restaurant and person involved were clearly identified. Now thats news. Not some unidentified drunk wannabe thug brawling in an unnamed bar. Thats not even interesting.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

hdgh29 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:41 pm
that's what I thought
How is this even news? Last week in Siem Reap an off duty cop opened fire in a local restaurant after a drunken dispute. The restaurant and person involved were clearly identified. Now thats news. Not some unidentified drunk wannabe thug brawling in an unnamed bar. Thats not even interesting.
You could turn that question around, and ask why drunk off-duty cops firing off their pistols in public is news. There are at least a couple every week.
Whereas foreigners that get pissed up enough to annoy enough people in order to make the Khmer news are relatively rare.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:43 pm
that's what I thought
You could turn that question around, and ask why drunk off-duty cops firing off their pistols in public is news. There are at least a couple every week.
Whereas foreigners that get pissed up enough to annoy enough people in order to make the Khmer news are relatively rare.
Perfect illustration of social media and the impossibility of posting an opinion without someone else countering with a completely opposite opinion. Well done!
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

hdgh29 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:19 pm

that's what I thought
Perfect illustration of social media and the impossibility of posting an opinion without someone else countering with a completely opposite opinion. Well done!
I thought that a discussion forum was for posting opinions, and well, discussing... :argue:
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

hdgh29 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:19 pm

that's what I thought
It is News, and unfortunately your opinion is open to debate on a public forum... thats what happens on forums :shock:
Pedrazo
Expatriate

Post by Pedrazo »

They put up with it by letting any foreigner live in Cambodia indefinitely, whether or not employed, just by paying $300 a year in visa fees.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Pedrazo wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:22 pm
They put up with it by letting any foreigner live in Cambodia indefinitely, whether or not employed, just by paying $300 a year in visa fees.
How do you figure that? Visas are restricted now.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Many Barangs forget where they are. When they're drunk, they would have a clue.

There is a very good chance the Barang in question was in the right initially. Short changed, over-billed, whatever.

As soon as he lost his cool, he made things worse, and lost his advantage.

In a dog-eat-dog country like this, they are going to take what they can from Westies. It's what they are trained for.

If you catch them and call them out, you need to imply a mistake was made. And do it in a way they maintain face. They will not be happy and you need to read the situation. Aggression rarely works. I know.

If you explain the "mistake" and get a nonsense response like "I already write it down. Too late" or "She say you pay for her, and leave", it's time to play the game(if you can), or cop it (if you can't), and put it down to tax. I will throw in an unnecessary derogatory remark to let them know I wasn't fooled, and they are not clever.

Depending on the situation, and excuse, one option might be "spend" the difference, having already paid.

But once you lose your cool, you have pretty much lost, and your options are scarce, if any. The one above is definitely off the table.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic