Electric Vehicles for Cambodia Supported by Ministry

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Electric Vehicles for Cambodia Supported by Ministry

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): During a panel discussion on the "Electrification of Vehicles for a Green Future in Cambodia", on 4 November 2021, Senior Minister of Public Works and Transport, H.E. Sun Chanthol, said that policies to support the use of electric vehicles in Cambodia as part of Cambodia’s efforts to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by the country are being developed by the Ministry.
While electric vehicles are available at present in Cambodia for transportation, the Minister said that the Ministry is preparing a policy that will ensure a complete infrastructure for the use of electric vehicles in Cambodia including the establishment of battery charging station, spare parts service centers, staff training systems and battery disposal points, and other measures to ensure the import of high-quality electric vehicles into Cambodia.

He further expressed that the Ministry has been working with relevant ministries and other stakeholders including the Ministry of Economy and Finance, the Ministry of Commerce, the Ministry of Interior, the Ministry of Science, Industry, Technology and Innovation, and the Ministry of Mines and Energy to prepare a draft national policy on the development of the transport sector for 2022-2031, which draft has been approved by the Royal Government.
ImageImage
British Ambassador to Cambodia, Tina Redshaw, supported the Royal Government’s policy, stating that the use of renewable energy vehicles would help reduce carbon emissions and help keep the environment clean technologically. It should be noted that the British Ambassador recently received an electric vehicle which attracted the attention of key leaders as well as the general public to participate in environmental protection through the use of electric vehicles.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Electric Vehicles for Cambodia Supported by Ministry

Post by cautious colin »

electricity is too expensive and there won't realistically be any infrastructure for at least 10 years. We have powercuts now fairly often.

Maybe they could make a tax break for importing electric cars which would get the ball rolling and make the private sector set up charge points etc , powercuts still will obviously still be an issue but its a start
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

cautious colin wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:26 am electricity is too expensive and there won't realistically be any infrastructure for at least 10 years. We have powercuts now fairly often.

Maybe they could make a tax break for importing electric cars which would get the ball rolling and make the private sector set up charge points etc , powercuts still will obviously still be an issue but its a start
Would do well with the solar powered charging stations that Beam Global produce :thumb:

But yeah, the day that bong rides an electric scooter through the muddy village roads are still a bit off ..
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Saw my first ever Tesla in Cambodia this week (Model X). Had its four ways on and going real slow, so not sure what the deal was. I agree that infrastructure is far away, but I think makers will count on people charging at home.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:35 pm Saw my first ever Tesla in Cambodia this week (Model X). Had its four ways on and going real slow, so not sure what the deal was. I agree that infrastructure is far away, but I think makers will count on people charging at home.
Facilities (allowed power) at most homes are insufficient for realistic day to day EV use I think.

To charge an EV in 8 hours or less at least 40A is needed. Most houses are connected by 16A or 32A only, and if the whole street would start using up to max. power there probably would be a large blow out at that street.....
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I see a lot of old rural bongs buying the electric 3 and 4 wheelers for village use. This company posts pics of happy customers.
3 wheelers $1200
4 wheelers $1600, would not take much to charge- I bet most trips with these are under 15 km
https://www.facebook.com/loyal555561

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Electric Tuktuk Manufacturing Factory Opens in Kandal
Cambodia News (Kandal Province): On May 24, 2022, a $20M manufacturing factory of electric tricycles (tuktuks) began operations on two hectares of land in the Sovanna Phum Special Economic Zone, Kien Svay district, Kandal province.
Its first target is to manufacture 3,000 tricycles within 2022-2023. Cambodia plans to reach the goal of reducing global warming by eliminating emissions from burning fossil fuels in 2050.
There are 10 charging stations for the tricycles and these stations will continue to be built, with the target of 500 electric charging locations available in 2025.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Private Sector Encouraged to Invest in EV Charging Station Installation
AKP Phnom Penh, May 27, 2022 --
The Ministry of Public Works and Transport (MPWT) has welcomed private companies wishing to invest in the establishment or installation of electric vehicle (EV) charging stations, stressing that the investment will contribute to promoting the use of emission-free vehicles in Cambodia.

The remarks were made by H.E. Sun Chanthol, Senior Minister, Minister of Public Works and Transport in the MPWT LIVE SHOW held here on Friday.

H.E. Sun Chanthol stated that investors shall contact the ministry for the applications for EV charging stations and the Electricité du Cambodge (EDC) for power supply.

The ministry is cooperating with relevant ministries and institutions to make a joint declaration regarding the establishment or installation of EV charging stations, he said.

In addition, the ministry has partnered with petroleum stations - Caltex, Total, PTT, Sokimex and Tela on the installation of EV charging stations at their stations.

EV charging stations will be installed on major national roads - Phnom Penh-Sihanoukville Expressway and on major national roads as well.

As of May 14, 2022, the ministry has registered 148 EVs, including 110 cars and 38 motorcycles and tricycles.

The number of electric vehicles in the first five months of 2022 saw an increase by 84 units or 800 percent compared to the same period in 2021.
By Chea Vannak
AKP

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

I remember buying into one of those EVs back in "real" civilization, and even there it was a pain in the ass and I needed a 2nd vehicle for many trips.

Why not encourage plug in hybrids here instead? I mean, even most developed countries can't sustain a mass influx of EVs, what's the rationale pushing this stuff over here?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

SlowJoe wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:14 pm I remember buying into one of those EVs back in "real" civilization, and even there it was a pain in the ass and I needed a 2nd vehicle for many trips.

Why not encourage plug in hybrids here instead? I mean, even most developed countries can't sustain a mass influx of EVs, what's the rationale pushing this stuff over here?
Well the Toyota Prius is probably the most common car here and it's a hybrid. I've seen a few of these electric tuk tuks around in the last few months. They are probably great but the small number of charging stations is an issue for now.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic