Electric Vehicles for Cambodia Supported by Ministry

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Electric Vehicles for Cambodia Supported by Ministry

Post by SlowJoe »

John Bingham wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:41 pm
SlowJoe wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:14 pm I remember buying into one of those EVs back in "real" civilization, and even there it was a pain in the ass and I needed a 2nd vehicle for many trips.

Why not encourage plug in hybrids here instead? I mean, even most developed countries can't sustain a mass influx of EVs, what's the rationale pushing this stuff over here?
Well the Toyota Prius is probably the most common car here and it's a hybrid. I've seen a few of these electric tuk tuks around in the last few months. They are probably great but the small number of charging stations is an issue for now.
Prius is a strictly gasoline car though. I mean like the hybrids you can charge and run also on gasoline (like the Chevy Volt or Fisker whatever it was a while ago).

I'm still skeptical of the whole EV push, I have a friend back in Vancouver who works on EVs and he shows videos all the time of 2 to 3 year old cars dropping transmissions and battery packs all the time, and at $20-40k a pack, they're a nightmare for warranty costs to deal with.
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

SlowJoe wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:14 pm I remember buying into one of those EVs back in "real" civilization, and even there it was a pain in the ass and I needed a 2nd vehicle for many trips.

Why not encourage plug in hybrids here instead? I mean, even most developed countries can't sustain a mass influx of EVs, what's the rationale pushing this stuff over here?
What hybrids require plug-in charging?
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

John Bingham wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:41 pm

Well the Toyota Prius is probably the most common car here and it's a hybrid. I've seen a few of these electric tuk tuks around in the last few months. They are probably great but the small number of charging stations is an issue for now.
As far as I understand they can just swap the batteries over rather than wait for a charge. Shop along norodom (around the turning to bassac somewhere) is a dedicated battery swap place.

Good idea for tuktuks, especially if they are leased from the company as I suspect most are
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

Hybrids are self charging.

Never mind, there are plug-in hybrids. Didn’t realize that. I was wrong, forget everything I said previously.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

At least 84 electric vehicles registered at the ministry of public works since January

The Minister of Public Works and Transport has registered 148 electric vehicles since its introduction.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501083686/ ... e-january/
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

AndyKK wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:35 am At least 84 electric vehicles registered at the ministry of public works since January

The Minister of Public Works and Transport has registered 148 electric vehicles since its introduction.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501083686/ ... e-january/
Those will be great for a ride around the block, on medium or long distance rides you better bring some towing gears...
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Neophobes should have joined the Amish.
I hope my mind remains open and I do not join the ranks of Geezerdom.
These arguments against e-vehicles is highly reminiscent of the advent of the automobile when luddites cried "get a horse".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

nemo wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:12 pm Neophobes should have joined the Amish.
These arguments against e-vehicles is highly reminiscent of the advent of the automobile when luddites cried "get a horse".
Those luddites were right for about two centuries, after which availability of roads and fuel had become sufficient.

Just as a comparison , from Kratie to Ratanakiri (250 km stretch) there are three petrol stations selling LPG and no EV charging points. Gas a& diesel rule in Cambodia and will rule for at least another decade.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Kammekor wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:36 pm
Those luddites were right for about two centuries, after which availability of roads and fuel had become sufficient.

Just as a comparison , from Kratie to Ratanakiri (250 km stretch) there are three petrol stations selling LPG and no EV charging points. Gas a& diesel rule in Cambodia and will rule for at least another decade.
The automobile is only 135 years old, so presumably they were prophets or dabbled in science fiction.
Most modern EV have a range comparable to conventional cars.
Tesla and Ford F150 for ecample.
All this stuff about charging points is laughable, all you need is a decent extension cable and suitable power source.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

nemo wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:56 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 5:36 pm

The automobile is only 135 years old, so presumably they were prophets or dabbled in science fiction.
Most modern EV have a range comparable to conventional cars.
Tesla and Ford F150 for ecample.
All this stuff about charging points is laughable, all you need is a decent extension cable and suitable power source.
You nailed it. Suitable.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic