Elon Musk Offers to Sell Stock to Solve World Hunger

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Elon Musk Offers to Sell Stock to Solve World Hunger

Post by paul2d »

The World Food Program (WFP), a UN Agency, claimed that $6Billion would solve world hunger. In a tweet Elon Musk offered to sell $6Billion in stock to fund this agency if the WFP could provide details of how it would spend the money. So far: deathly silence from the UN and no plan:
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Elon Musk Offers to Sell Stock to Solve World Hunger

Post by nerdlinger »

If he was genuinely serious about helping, he’d have approached the WFP directly instead of mouthing off on Twitter and Fox. It’s pretty blatant that he’s not sincere with this publicity stunt.

Also, you’re factually incorrect about the WFP not responding. They did respond with an invitation to have a meeting and let him see all their books and so forth, and if you have a look at the Twitter discussion it’s a series of Musk being petulant and trying to add one overly specific stipulation after the next in an attempt to backpedal.
Last edited by nerdlinger on Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Not surprised, if they fixed the problem they would be out of a job , they have been helping the starving kids in Africa all my lifetime, where did the money go for feed the kids in the 80s
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

atst wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:59 am if they fixed the problem they would be out of a job
That’s a ridiculous sentiment and blatantly untrue on every level. A competent experienced leader with a track record of success will always be able to find work elsewhere, and nobody goes into the aid sector with the aim of extending suffering.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

Isn't he thinking about selling off shares because of some new tax law the Democrats are bringing in? I think it was to do with paying tax if your shares increase in value rather than just paying tax when you actually sell shares.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Considering there are about 8 billion people in the world and only 10% are considered to be in poverty with logistics etc I don't see how this is feasible. At $1 per person it wouldn't last a week. The WFP who brought this up first spends about 5 billion a year already.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

nerdlinger wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:07 am
atst wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:59 am if they fixed the problem they would be out of a job
That’s a ridiculous sentiment and blatantly untrue on every level. A competent experienced leader with a track record of success will always be able to find work elsewhere, and nobody goes into the aid sector with the aim of extending suffering.
Yer right . It's a business. Show me a charity that doesn't pay themselves first
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:13 am Considering there are about 8 billion people in the world and only 10% are considered to be in poverty with logistics etc I don't see how this is feasible. At $1 per person it wouldn't last a week. The WFP who brought this up first spends about 5 billion a year already.
Thier asking for the money and have an amount they need to fix the problem, so shouldn't they be to show where the money's going?

Ask the Aussies where the millions donated to the bush fires went, not much got to the victims.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

hburns wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:11 am Isn't he thinking about selling off shares because of some new tax law the Democrats are bringing in? I think it was to do with paying tax if your shares increase in value rather than just paying tax when you actually sell shares.
What a ridiculous idea, and what then happens when the share price falls? Do you get your tax back?
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

nerdlinger wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:27 am Musk being petulant and trying to add one overly specific stipulation after the next in an attempt to backpedal.
Back pedaling once in a while, for a guy usually moving forward on fast cars and rockets, is ok with me.

I like his spontaneity, but it leads him to make unwise / stupid moves or comments from time to time.

Leave Mars alone Elon ! Focus on Earth !

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic