Elon Musk Offers to Sell Stock to Solve World Hunger

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Elon Musk Offers to Sell Stock to Solve World Hunger

Post by newkidontheblock »

atst wrote:Not surprised, if they fixed the problem they would be out of a job , they have been helping the starving kids in Africa all my lifetime, where did the money go for feed the kids in the 80s
They grew up and had kids. And now they and their kids are now starving and need more to not starve everyday.

The goal of every organization is to sustain itself and grow any way possible.

I think the term is ‘poverty pimps.’

That’s my take on it, anyways.
sanjuro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by sanjuro »

I thought Bill Gates did that!
With shit water & soylent green!
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

For once I'm actually on the Musty Musk fanboy side, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that 99% of these charities are greedy money pits that do more harm than good.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

That would be about 5% of his wealth as per article I read. Such a stunt in "details", "good lad" mr.Musk.....
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

nerdlinger wrote:If he was genuinely serious about helping, he’d have approached the WFP directly instead of mouthing off on Twitter and Fox. It’s pretty blatant that he’s not sincere with this publicity stunt.
It started with an article that was posted on CNN, the articles headline was "2% of Elon​ Musk's wealth could solve world hunger, says director of UN food scarcity organization"

Elon's reply

And after the Chief of the WFP started back peddling, Elon posted this.

It became pretty quiet after that Image

Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

His latest challenge on the ludcrous notion of taxing unrealised gains is equally welcome. What is essentially a motion to tax money you haven't even earned yet is bonkers with seriously negative repurcussions that only a full on communist can't see beyond the initial big pay day. Musk is worth billions on paper, if Tesla tanks tomorrow, he'll be as poor as Vlad. Give or take a million.

The fact he went out on Twitter again to ask Joe Public "Should I sell 10% of my Tesla stock?" (i.e. realise some capital gains & pay tax) in a poll so far is revealing the communists are edging it. I'm sure it is a calculated poll on his behalf, he must have known folks can't see beyond tomorrow when it comes to money for the most part, so it is another PR stunt - 10% isn't the end of the world; 10% of $1.2t isn't to shabby.

Also begs the question, does the SEC get involved again, because if his poll closes on "Sell up 10%" winning, the stock will surely drop (opinion) - is that not a CEO effectively tinkering with the stock price - and again, what stops him shorting his own stock knowing the price will drop. As a Tesla shareholder, I'm on the fence - love his Gung Ho style versus the corporate, regulatory & government stiffs of this world, on the flip side, doesn't help my personal pocket book if he tanks the stock... or does it..
:D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
velvet_thunder
Expatriate

Post by velvet_thunder »

hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

atst wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:41 am
hburns wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:11 am Isn't he thinking about selling off shares because of some new tax law the Democrats are bringing in? I think it was to do with paying tax if your shares increase in value rather than just paying tax when you actually sell shares.
What a ridiculous idea, and what then happens when the share price falls? Do you get your tax back?
I'd guess not but I'm not sure of the full ins and outs of it. It's going by the name "billionaire's tax" and is just a proposal at this stage. Some of our American friends might be able to shed more light on the issue.
velvet_thunder
Expatriate

Post by velvet_thunder »

Tax on unrealized capital gains. that's a concept.

Main goal seems to capture this tax on profit yearly to avoid the super-rich to skip taxation this way for example:
"Simply put, in the US, if a person sells an asset that s/he inherited, the cost of the asset (for the calculation of profit) is considered to be the price at the time of inheritance. That’s usually a lot higher than the actual cost of the asset and so, the taxable profit shrinks."
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

So, now Twitter have voted for the stock sale

Probably will be some Tesla shorts open this week amid uncertainty

Then (I suspect) Musk will somehow seek to swing that uncertainty into another short squeeze like last year with the actual sale being carried out in such a way as to not tank share price too much over time with a specific future deadline to meet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic