How safe is Kampot nowadays?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Happy2
Tourist
St Lucia

How safe is Kampot nowadays?

Post by Happy2 »

I’ve been seeing quite a few stories of thieves stealing stuff, and sometimes even attacking foreigners.

I’ve been thinking of going over for some quiet time now that the rains have slowed down, but all of this is very worrying.

How is the situation now in Kampot? Is it worth the risk?

Hopefully someone who actually lives there can answer too.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: How safe is Kampot nowadays?

Post by Spigzy »

No foreigners in Kampot nowadays, they were all murdered. Other than that, its great!
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I was staying on a friend's farm in the hills of Kampot, he was the GRK commander for the district. It was a moonlit night so I decided to go for a stroll along the road up the hill. I hadn't gone far when a crazy tattooed guy in just a krama with a machete popped out ahead of me. He was screaming while heading towards me. I decided to go back to the house - at a brisk pace. That was in 2009. Almost the exact same thing happened to me in Prey Veng in broad daylight a few years before that except he just had a big stick. The boonies are full of savages. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Horrendous scenes regularly in Kampot streets, but you can get some chips and a cuddle after you've waded through the blood.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Despite all the replies so far, this is a legitimate question and something I have been wondering about also. Kampot has always been one of my favorite places in the country to chill out but I haven't had time to go for the past 6 months or so and in that time I've also read more than enough stories on FB to raise a little concern about going back.

It has apparently become a bit of an alternative to Siem Reap for those that get fed up with the impact of covid up north but didn't want to experience the city life, so there is a part of that wonders if these stories are slightly exaggerated to keep the influx of foreigners down to a reasonable number...
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

It's reasonably safe, but there have always been thieves around and now is no different
Happy2
Tourist
St Lucia

Post by Happy2 »

Is it worse than say, a year ago?
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

The amount of risk you are willing to tolerate to be happy is entirely your call and only you will be able to quantify risk in that manner.

From my research, it's not bed of roses.

But Kampot draws me each time my thoughts wonder there. I'm in PP now though.

Perhaps because it's not a bed of roses and that's why the fields there seem greener.
Happy2 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:52 pm I’ve been seeing quite a few stories of thieves stealing stuff, and sometimes even attacking foreigners.
I’ve been thinking of going over for some quiet time now that the rains have slowed down, but all of this is very worrying.
How is the situation now in Kampot? Is it worth the risk?
Hopefully someone who actually lives there can answer too.
Happy2
Tourist
St Lucia

Post by Happy2 »

Yes but surely someone can give a decent approximation of what’s actually going on.

I.e. vs Phnom Penh. Vs. kampot 1 year ago, etc.

I mean here in Phnom Penh I haven’t heard any such stories as I hear from Kampot? And I assume there are much more foreigners in the capital than Kampot?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Depends what you compare it to. It's maybe not as safe as your typical Swiss mountain village but hell of a lot safer than Tripoli.

There was always some theft here, but I suppose when there were more tourism we didn't hear too much about it. Now that it happens only to expats every theft or attempted such is reported on the notice board and the town is talking about it.

Personally, having lived in my fair share of exotic places I feel Kampot is about as safe as it gets.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic