Climate change deniers

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
WillieW
Expatriate
Bhutan

Climate change deniers

Post by WillieW »

With the climate emergency meeting in Glasgow this week I recently overheard some people saying how it was a load of nonsense. It has puzzled me for some time why some people can be so against something that is obviously of benefit for the planet. I mean if we do nothing it's going to get worse and worse and future generations will be in big trouble. Even now countries like the Maldives are suffering from the results of global warming! So why is it that some people usually right wing conservative types are so against taking action and even denying that there is a climate emergency.?
Be your own toy.
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Climate change deniers

Post by orussey98 »

Were you born here?

If not, how did you arrive in here?
Do you travel ?

the best way to fight global warming, if you want to take action, is to stay where you are and grow your food

the rest is just virtue signaling and a bit hypocritical
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

How COP21 was made fun of, in France, re-dubbed in squeaky depressed voices
Now it's already COP26.

Sorry, no translation available.

"We're gonna discuss about stuff we said 15 years ago, that we will enforce 30 years from now"

"well, we're not invited, but.." (says the Malaysian / Indo chick)

Seems pretty worthless and ill-organized, not too willing of enforcing real decisions at the right points of pressure, but still ongoing.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Well I don't want to get into a political discussion, but I think most people would agree that having loads of pollution in the environment isn't healthy.
Obviously some things just do cause pollution, but doing it on purpose is fucking crazy.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

This pretty much sums it up:

and this ...

I'm in the camp where we've got to tackle all of the items on the joke above; but equally I'm a firm believer that climate change is inevitable, so humans need solutions for that eventuality anyway. The Earth has been hotter, the Earth has been cooler, the magnetic poles swap every quarter of a million years or so - with inevitable climate consequences; as a species we need to adapt (as well as stop being so bloody destructive meantime ...)
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
sanjuro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by sanjuro »

WillieW wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:46 pm With the climate emergency meeting in Glasgow this week I recently overheard some people saying how it was a load of nonsense. It has puzzled me for some time why some people can be so against something that is obviously of benefit for the planet. I mean if we do nothing it's going to get worse and worse and future generations will be in big trouble. Even now countries like the Maldives are suffering from the results of global warming! So why is it that some people usually right wing conservative types are so against taking action and even denying that there is a climate emergency.?
The main reason right wingers decry the diversionary left wing sanctioned panic is that Russia, China, India, Brazil & Nigeria among others get a free pass to industrialize as "dirtily" as they please. Pointing this out is then likely decried as "racist".

I don't get the feeling you actually want an answer that satisfies you. We all really could be anyone on this forum, couldn't we?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Climate changes constantly, regardless of human influence

Of course humans should take greater steps to mitigate their contribution towards that change, but given the zero fucks given attitude of many countries as they grow their economies and how complicit multi-national corporations are in sidestepping, circumventing and green-washing to appear "green" in one part of the world while wreaking destruction in others I am cynical that things can be made significantly better in the short to medium term

Then there's "scientists" on both the "sky is failing" side and on the "this is fine" side contradicting each other incessantly, and ofc, almost all political parties and a great many of the most popular media outlets straight up propagate and broadcast their bias to their own followers

Electric cars are not the answer, nor are windmills, tidal barrages, hydroelectric, geothermal, coal fired/fossil fuel fired electricity plants

The only answer is to stop burning coal to make all this electricity, because whether you make concrete, steel, aluminum, french ticklers - whatever - at least 33% of the world's power comes from burning fucking coal, filthy cheap coal

And, the thing is; that's just the coal fired to make electricity - I don't have the numbers for this bit on hand - but just about every cement plant in the world burns between 15-200 tonnes of coal a day to fire their kiln - that's 90% of all the cement in the world. EVER. That's 4% of global coal per annum right there

And that is before the manifold other industries fired directly by coal are even considered. It's far more polluting than automobile ICE's - and most of it has to be transported intercontinental by tanker, road and rail before it can even be used. It's horrendously inefficient

Ban Coal

Make world 100% 21st century Nuclear technology dependent and climate change's human contribution will dwindle to the point of irrelevance within a generation or so

It's not about anything else, but that's just like, my opinion, man

EDIT: Oh yeah, stop throwing plastic and shit into waterways also, that would be nice. k thks
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Climate change is very real

Can we personally do anything about it? Nope, not with all these companies/countries (same thing) destroying the planet
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

Climate Emergency Hypocrites: world's rich and famous, led by Jeff Bezos, virtue signaling at COP26 arriving by their private jets, https://www.rebelnews.com/watch_neil_ol ... _and_cop26

I expect they will enjoy the canapes and champaigne while urging the rest of us to eat less meat and more bugs.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

WillieW wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:46 pm So why is it that some people usually right wing conservative types are so against taking action and even denying that there is a climate emergency.?
Hey Willie - Doncha know?
Spoiler:
Because they are sour and silly old dumbasses about everything.
:facepalm:
Just ignore the dinosaurs, they're fast on way out now anyway - or poke sticks thru the cage for a giggle like i do.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic