Climate change deniers

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
pauloxleyisland
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Climate change deniers

Post by pauloxleyisland »

OnThisDay Friday 29 January 1960, a stretch of oppressively hot days that had left 25 people dead was over. Despite the cool change, Sydney was suffering from a "heat hangover".

Photo: Mr Jim Joyce of Victoria Street, Alexandria, gives neighbouring children a welcome shower with his garden hose late in the night".- 27 Jan 1960

Sydney Morning Herald - 30 January, 1960.
COOL CHANGE BRINGS FLOODINGS AFTER RAIN STEAMS CITY DROP OF 25 DEGREES... A cool change yesterday brought rain and minor flooding to Sydney after a week of oppressive heat. But the relief of a falling thermometer was short-lived as the humidity soared, smothering the city in a "steam bath."

Late yesterday, heavy, widespread showers — with a cloudburst in the Hurstville-Rockdale district — drenched Sydney, boosting the humidity higher. At least 30 people, including four babies collapsed from heat exhaustion. The Weather Bureau last night forecast rain again this morning, and another cool change on Monday. But Sydney's holiday weekend should be mainly fine, warm, and humid. The Chief Secretary, Mr C.A. Kelly, yesterday lifted the ban on open fires in Sydney, the Blue Mountains, and the Illawarra District. But Sydney's emergency restrictions on water will apply over the holiday weekend, at least.

The Water Board will meet early next week to consider lifting the ban on fixed hoses and sprinklers. Hospital officials last night said no more deaths from heat exhaustion occurred yesterday.

On Thursday night the toll in the record four-day heat blast reached 25. Medical authorities said last night that scores of people were still suffering a "heat hangover". They said people feeling listless or "washed out" should get plenty of rest over the weekend. Yesterday's maximum daylight temperature - 79.3°F at 11am - was 25.1° below Thursday's peak of 103.4°F.

Sydney Morning Herald - 28 January, 1960.... Sydney recorded its worst heatwave in 100 years of official readings yesterday when the temperature soared to 108.3°F (42.4°C) at 3pm. Five more heat deaths, including another baby, brought the three day death toll to 14. Yesterday's reading was a new peak in the three day ordeal - the first time the city has had above-century temperatures on three consecutive days.

Mr Newman said last night: "We are tipping a maximum of 110°F tomorrow and even higher temperatures on Friday. From midnight the temperature began to drop sharply into the low seventies but a Weather Bureau spokesman said today would be a "scorcher". Yesterday's maximum of 108.3 was the third highest temperature ever recorded in Sydney. The two higher temperatures were 113.6°F (45.3°C) on January 14, 1939, and 108.5°F (42.5 C) on January 13, 1896.

As the city sweated through another day of extreme heat yesterday:
☀️ The death-toll mounted to 13 and more than 100 people collapsed in Sydney and suburban streets, causing a bed shortgage in many hospitals.
☀️ After widespread water supply failures, the Water Board banned the use of fixed hoses in Manly Municipal and Warringah shire.
☀️ The State Government banned open fires in an area covering the whole of Sydney and suburbs, the Blue Mountains, and the South Coast as far as Ulladulla and Moss Vale.
☀️ Many factories and offices closed before noon because of the heat and serious absenteeism disrupted factory production in many industries.
☀️ About 200 men and women employees in the assembly section of the Sunbeam Corporation Ltd.'s appliance factory at Campsie walked off the job because of the heat.
☀️ Office workers at a big motor plant at Pagewood said the temperature inside their building reached 140 degrees (60 C) in the afternoon.
☀️ The Sydney waterfront was idle again when more than 3,000 wharf-labourers stopped work because of the heat.

📸 See more pics in comments below👇

☀️ In January 1896 a 24-day heatwave on Australia's east coast saw temperatures climb to 49°C and killed 437 people 👉

[Post & Photo courtesy
Gee and you fools almost had me convinced that my generation fucked the world, now I am confused, who’s fault was it for these wild extreme weather fluctuations. Maybe pops horse farting to much
I know the big words make your cock feel bigger, but I’m just an old truck driver keep it simple aye! 8)
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

Only replying to the OP here.

In 2000, Florida was said that it was supposed to be underwater 6 years ago. I watched that speech live, I was told of the doom and gloom and how certain this outcome was because xx data and I bought into it. I did something about it, drove less, bought a hybrid even when they were total shit, bought solar panels, used energy saving appliances, etc.

2022 Florida isn't underwater and no one's tune has changed. It's like the god damn Jesus rapture stuff. Just keep moving the date until the end of the world.

As far as I'm concerned now, it's just another religious cult trying to mask it's legitimacy with some half arsed charts and wonky interpretations of data, nothing more, nothing less.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

SlowJoe wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:36 pm Only replying to the OP here.

In 2000, Florida was said that it was supposed to be underwater 6 years ago. I watched that speech live, I was told of the doom and gloom and how certain this outcome was because xx data and I bought into it. I did something about it, drove less, bought a hybrid even when they were total shit, bought solar panels, used energy saving appliances, etc.

2022 Florida isn't underwater and no one's tune has changed. It's like the god damn Jesus rapture stuff. Just keep moving the date until the end of the world.

As far as I'm concerned now, it's just another religious cult trying to mask it's legitimacy with some half arsed charts and wonky interpretations of data, nothing more, nothing less.
Let me get this straight. You heard that Florida would be underwater if you didn’t do something to help. So you did stuff to help. And now that’s delayed the process. And you’re saying that’s evidence that they’re moving the goalposts?

Even when you’re ignoring the massive bulk of global data and only looking as far as your own doorstep, you’re still not able to follow any internal logic.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

WillieW wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:46 pm With the climate emergency meeting in Glasgow this week I recently overheard some people saying how it was a load of nonsense. It has puzzled me for some time why some people can be so against something that is obviously of benefit for the planet. I mean if we do nothing it's going to get worse and worse and future generations will be in big trouble. Even now countries like the Maldives are suffering from the results of global warming! So why is it that some people usually right wing conservative types are so against taking action and even denying that there is a climate emergency.?
From some of the replies it looks like a lot of “I got mine jack” types who see two things:
- their own town or region is currently doing fine
- they’re being asked to give up stuff that they want

So when presented with the alternative view of “it’s a hoax”, they’re personally incentivised to believe that it must indeed be a hoax.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

pauloxleyisland wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:12 pm Gee and you fools almost had me convinced that my generation fucked the world, now I am confused, who’s fault was it for these wild extreme weather fluctuations. Maybe pops horse farting to much
Dude you’re comparing once-every-few-decade heatwaves in one local region with consistent year-on-year global temperature highs. That’s not how any of this works. I can’t believe we’re into 2022 and people still haven’t learned the difference between “weather” and “climate”.
SlowJoe
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SlowJoe »

nerdlinger wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:41 pm Let me get this straight. You heard that Florida would be underwater if you didn’t do something to help. So you did stuff to help. And now that’s delayed the process. And you’re saying that’s evidence that they’re moving the goalposts?

Even when you’re ignoring the massive bulk of global data and only looking as far as your own doorstep, you’re still not able to follow any internal logic.
I don't deny the data I see, I deny any legitimacy to anyone especially at the top trying to provide any interpretation (and even worse, the solution), because it's obvious they don't have a clue as to fuck all that is going on.

You can only cry wolf so many times before no one believes you anymore...forget the "science" and "logic". You can have a perfectly logical solution to something entirely based on a fictional scenario.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Climate change, or early summer ?

Beijing upgrades warning for hot weather to highest level
24/06/23 10:30
BEIJING, June 23 (Reuters) - Beijing on Friday upgraded its warning for hot weather to "red" - the highest in a colour-coded alert system - saying most parts of the Chinese capital could roast in temperatures of up to 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit).

On Thursday, the maximum temperature in the city of nearly 22 million people breached 41C and shattered the record for the hottest day in June.

A weather station in its southern suburbs, considered to be Beijing's main gauge, recorded 41.1C in the afternoon. The previous June high was logged on June 10, 1961, when the mercury hit 40.6C.

The daily maximum logged on Thursday was the city's second-highest in history, just below the 41.9C recorded by Beijing on July 24, 1999.

China has a four-tier weather warning system, with red the most severe, followed by orange, yellow and blue.
- Fresh News
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
ceoreg123
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by ceoreg123 »

Climate is the new religion and CO2 the new sacrament
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ceoreg123 wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:12 pm Climate is the new religion and CO2 the new sacrament
You're a boomer, or should we take you seriously? :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic