Expired visa and closed borders

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
cab
Tourist
Sweden

Expired visa and closed borders

Post by cab »

Hi everyone!

I have couple of questions related to my carelessness.
I forgot that my visa had expired. The school used to take care of this, and since my contract expired, my stupid head didnt remind me of the visa.

1. My overstay is 2 months. I can pay the overstay fee (of course, it's expensive, but we have to pay for our mistakes). However, I read that if the overstay is more than 30 days, it is necessary to leave the country. And at the same time, all land borders are closed. Does this mean that after paying the fine I must fly to my country in Europe or that I must fly to any neighboring country? Or due to covid, maybe I can somehow resolve the issue on the spot in immigration?
2. Since I've never made a visa for myself, I dont really understand - is it possible to get an annual multivisa through an agency without having a job contract? Let's say I managed somehow to figure out question №1 without leaving the country. What should I do next? Get a 1 month Evisa or can I get an annual visa?

Sorry for my stupid questions. And thanks for the comments.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Expired visa and closed borders

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

If you are planning to stay in Cambodia, then go to a Visa agency, apply for a new 12 mth EB (Business) Extension of Stay and pay the overstay fines. The DoI have been rather lenient lately due to COVID-19 restrictions.

If you go to the DoI Visa office directly, the supporting documentation criteria for a new EB EOS is extensive, and they may say cannot due to the long overstay. Hence my advice to use an agent in this case.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

cab wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:22 pm 1. My overstay is 2 months. I can pay the overstay fee (of course, it's expensive, but we have to pay for our mistakes). However, I read that if the overstay is more than 30 days, it is necessary to leave the country. And at the same time, all land borders are closed. Does this mean that after paying the fine I must fly to my country in Europe or that I must fly to any neighboring country? Or due to covid, maybe I can somehow resolve the issue on the spot in immigration?
You can settle your fines before flying out of the country at the airport itself, after checking in, at the immigration counter. But that is not what you are looking for based on your post.
cab wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:22 pm 2. Since I've never made a visa for myself, I dont really understand - is it possible to get an annual multivisa through an agency without having a job contract? Let's say I managed somehow to figure out question №1 without leaving the country. What should I do next? Get a 1 month Evisa or can I get an annual visa?
Like the previous poster said, approach a "reputable" agency. They can help you get a business visa within a few days. Sometimes, they may ask you to get a letter. Ask them about your options and if you're at the right agency, they will walk you through it.

If the agency can't help, thank them and move on to the next agency. You'll eventually find one that can help.
cab
Tourist
Sweden

Post by cab »

Thanks a lot guys!!

To clarify:
Did I understand you correctly that if I find a reputable experienced agent and pay the entire fine for overstay, then I will not need to fly to Singapore and back?
And did I understand you correctly that agents can make visa extension for a year without a contract and other papers?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

cab wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:58 pm Thanks a lot guys!!

To clarify:
Did I understand you correctly that if I find a reputable experienced agent and pay the entire fine for overstay, then I will not need to fly to Singapore and back?
And did I understand you correctly that agents can make visa extension for a year without a contract and other papers?
Have you got the other supporting documents? Work permit and residency cert? I'm not sure if you need to show a work contact, I haven't applied for an extension in person in about a decade. :? Good luck, it might not be too difficult using an agent but it will cost way over the odds if they have to cover too much missing paperwork.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

cab wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:58 pm Did I understand you correctly that if I find a reputable experienced agent and pay the entire fine for overstay, then I will not need to fly to Singapore and back?
Yes. They will handle the extension. If you have the funds, you can apply for a regular visa extension first. Then use the 1 month you have have here to sort out the EB visa.
cab wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:58 pm And did I understand you correctly that agents can make visa extension for a year without a contract and other papers?
However, if you need documents, the agency would be able to advise you. You won't get much more "advise" on a public forum on this matter. Just go to an agency and talk to them and be honest with them, so they can help you. I speak from experience.
cab
Tourist
Sweden

Post by cab »

Thank you all very much guys! You gave me hope that things are not so bad. Losing money is not as bad as loosing reputation and look like a criminal, even if without malice.
Thanks!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I overstayed by accident a few years ago. I was used to HR asking for my passport every six months and I totally forgot about it myself. So I had to pay $300 or something, work was happy to pay for extensions but not overstays. Another time I was waiting for a new passport and had to pay 25 days overstay but it was only $5 a day then. As above, with the difficulties of traveling since COVID the authorities are being more lenient in many cases.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic