Cambodia is on course to be the next Asian Tiger, and that is good news for America.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia is on course to be the next Asian Tiger, and that is good news for America.

Post by John Bingham »

Cambodia has expanded its economy by an annual average rate of 7 percent. But, just like the original Asian Tigers of the 1960s—South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore—Cambodia's growth has been strategic and stable. We have not suffered a recession over the last 30 years, even during the Asian financial crisis of the 1990s, the bursting of the dot-com bubble in 2000 and the financial meltdown of 2008.
Cambodia's rapid growth has been fueled by tourism, textiles and garment manufacturing. Construction has boomed, producing high-quality jobs in skilled trades. Foreign investors have flocked to Cambodia's open factories and take advantage of our favorable trade agreements with the United States, the European Union and China. Our employment rate is over 90 percent, and standards of living have improved markedly, particularly in education and health care.

During the economic turndown produced by the coronavirus pandemic, my government invested more than $1 billion to support affected businesses, taking extraordinary measures to keep ordinary Cambodians from sliding back into poverty. We waged an aggressive vaccination campaign, administering over 26 million doses to nearly 90 percent of the country's population—including nearly the entire urban population.
More:
https://www.newsweek.com/cambodia-next- ... on-1642788
Silence, exile, and cunning.
sanjuro
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Cambodia is on course to be the next Asian Tiger, and that is good news for America.

Post by sanjuro »

Maybe Cambodia will adopt a new currency, a Bengaled Dogecoin perhaps? Tuk Tuk on reverse?
"No money no Huny"
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Cambodia is on course to be the next Asian Tiger, and that is good news for America.

Post by Anchor Moy »

^ Yeah, that's one point of view, and it's natural that he is working to encourage investment from other countries. That goes with the job.

Written by: Chum Sounry is the ambassador of Cambodia to the United States.
The views expressed in this article are the writer's own.
Cambodia has developed a legal and regulatory framework that encourages domestic and foreign investment. My government has introduced tax incentives, special economic zones and reduced logistics costs, all of which are attractive to businesses wishing to reach large Chinese, U.S. and European markets. In Cambodia, companies can be 100 percent foreign-owned, so foreign investors can employ Cambodia's educated work force without having to find a local partner.
sanjuro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by sanjuro »

Cambodia would be happy to embezzle Ford's money and let it sink in a rice field. So Cambodia is going to be an Asian Tiger because they lure in a single production plant?--an ailing American car company, America's pre-eminent auto manufacturer. Suddenly I bet The Khmer are all going to be driving Ford's I suppose. And then ship through where?--the port of Sihanoukville? The Chinese would love that! Ah The humiliation! Does the Ambassador hope to draw new investors, ala "Robinhood" . He sounds so typically Khmer, 'Cambodia very small country..'
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

Well, I hope Cambodia the best! I have been reluctant to visit, because of past security concerns. The development of Cambodia has made it more appealing to me, which is why I am on this forum. I do hope that they take off, but they don't fall victim to foreign investment that leads to foreign control. The Belt and Road Intiative has done a lot of great things for Cambodia too, but I am worried that it will undergo too much Chinese control. I think that will have a much greater effect than just Ford building a plant.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

sanjuro wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:59 pm Cambodia would be happy to embezzle Ford's money and let it sink in a rice field. So Cambodia is going to be an Asian Tiger because they lure in a single production plant?--an ailing American car company, America's pre-eminent auto manufacturer. Suddenly I bet The Khmer are all going to be driving Ford's I suppose. And then ship through where?--the port of Sihanoukville? The Chinese would love that! Ah The humiliation! Does the Ambassador hope to draw new investors, ala "Robinhood" . He sounds so typically Khmer, 'Cambodia very small country..'
Someone who obviously hasn't been in Cambodia for a long time, or at least hasn't been paying attention. Ford is one of the best selling car brands here now. Rangers and Raptors are all over the place. It's quite sad how people spew on about "typically Khmer" when they don't even know what they are talking about. Maybe they can recover. Good luck. 8-)
sanjuro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by sanjuro »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:33 am
sanjuro wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:59 pm Cambodia would be happy to embezzle Ford's money and let it sink in a rice field. So Cambodia is going to be an Asian Tiger because they lure in a single production plant?--an ailing American car company, America's pre-eminent auto manufacturer. Suddenly I bet The Khmer are all going to be driving Ford's I suppose. And then ship through where?--the port of Sihanoukville? The Chinese would love that! Ah The humiliation! Does the Ambassador hope to draw new investors, ala "Robinhood" . He sounds so typically Khmer, 'Cambodia very small country..'
Someone who obviously hasn't been in Cambodia for a long time, or at least hasn't been paying attention. Ford is one of the best selling car brands here now. Rangers and Raptors are all over the place. It's quite sad how people spew on about "typically Khmer" when they don't even know what they are talking about. Maybe they can recover. Good luck. 8-)
Ooo that's rich coming from the plantation lord himself. You're right, it's been a few years since Cambodia proper, however, when there I don't insulate myself in expat drawing rooms.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

sanjuro wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:44 am You're right, it's been a few years since Cambodia proper...
Thanks for confirming what I thought. Disparaging Cambodia without being informed might strike you as funny or clever, however some of us actually care about the country and don't appreciate your dismal put downs.
sanjuro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by sanjuro »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:59 am
sanjuro wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:44 am You're right, it's been a few years since Cambodia proper...
Thanks for confirming what I thought. Disparaging Cambodia without being informed might strike you as funny or clever, however some of us actually care about the country and don't appreciate your dismal put downs.
Scobienz is it? I see you're a Robinhood user.

One does not have to endure the capital relentlessly to be concerned about the country.
Concern for the country does not equate to having mannicured fox chases and croquet matches on its soil.
I've seen way more on foot for years than you can even imagine.
No need to turn a Newsweek fluff plug into some kind of personal attack.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Cambodia might indeed do better for itself under China's hardcore reality based system - than under the paternalistic, aid dependent, NGO guided and executed, previous model that the West had all planned out for them.

:stir:
For discussion.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic