Cambodia is on course to be the next Asian Tiger, and that is good news for America.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
DanielH
Tourist
Malaysia

Re: Cambodia is on course to be the next Asian Tiger, and that is good news for America.

Post by DanielH »

Do people see the US moving more of its manufacturing to Cambo?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Cambodia is on course to be the next Asian Tiger, and that is good news for America.

Post by phuketrichard »

....Ford is one of the best selling car brands here now. Rangers and Raptors are all over the place
Trucks :-) I see very few ford cars here, a few mustangs and thats it
Now Toyota on the other hand.
Cambodia has as much chance of being the "next " asian tiger as i have of flying to the moon

FYI:
Americans can own 100% of an american company in Thailand, ( since i constantly reference Thailand)
..I have been reluctant to visit, because of past security concerns
you are as safe here as just about anywhere, and alot safer than certain areas after dark in the states, ( except after dark in Kampot) :stir:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Anchor Moy wrote:
^ Yeah, that's one point of view, and it's natural that he is working to encourage investment from other countries. That goes with the job.

Written by: Chum Sounry is the ambassador of Cambodia to the United States.
The views expressed in this article are the writer's own.
Cambodia has developed a legal and regulatory framework that encourages domestic and foreign investment. My government has introduced tax incentives, special economic zones and reduced logistics costs, all of which are attractive to businesses wishing to reach large Chinese, U.S. and European markets. In Cambodia, companies can be 100 percent foreign-owned, so foreign investors can employ Cambodia's educated work force without having to find a local partner.
Yeah, but at least this one was well-written and void of grammatical mistakes, unlike the puff pieces which the KT regularly churns out. At least he's reaching out.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
LoukBongThom
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by LoukBongThom »

Still don't understand the statement "and that is good news for America"
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Of course, sustainable economic growth is quite achievable several decades after completely destroying the economy. After hitting zero, the only place you can go is up.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

LoukBongThom wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:24 am Still don't understand the statement "and that is good news for America"
More jobs leaving the US is surely good news for somebody.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

When I see images and videos of a Ford assembly plant, I usually see rolling assembly lines and hordes of robots, CNC machines and lots of computer control.

All requiring stable, reliable sources of electricity, large, well-maintained roads, and speedy freight rail lines.

A gas powered generator can run a bank of sewing machines, but insufficient for generating large amounts of pure sine wave power needed to power delicate robots and computers.

Clothes don’t care if they get tossed around across numerous potholes, but delicate parts don’t do so well.

Bolts of cloth can be ordered in bulk and held in reserve. Hundreds of sub assemblies would be more difficult. Railroads that take 8 hrs+ from Phnom Penh to China land when motos take half that time (and if they could do 100-140 kilometers per hour, even less), does not help just in time production.

I wish Ford the best in their assembly plant venture. It will be an interesting adventure into how to build a modern plant without modern infrastructure.

Or maybe Ford develops their own infrastructure?
Stable off grid power not dependent on the EDC? Their own port and rail or roads to ship parts into and finished cars out? Build a town around the plant to create a highly skilled, dedicated labor force?
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

There’s already a Ford plant here.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic