American MICHAEL BERG (AmCham Board Member) Caught on Video Allegedly Trying to Bribe Police in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: American MICHAEL BERG (AmCham Board Member) Caught on Video Allegedly Trying to Bribe Police in Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

nemo wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:58 am One false step here can ruin a reputation no matter how petty.
I like to stay home for many reasons.
Hopefully I will never get into any public scrapes - seems all too easy to do by accident.

Disclaimer: I have never met any of the protagonists in this story.
By all means stay home if you like but please don't be concerned about one false step!
You'd have to do somethting majorly bad here to stir any interest in your reputation, let alone ruin it! Many people have tried and failed to ruin their reputations, including all kinds of professionals etc.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: American MICHAEL BERG (AmCham Board Member) Caught on Video Allegedly Trying to Bribe Police in Cambodia

Post by Darkcel »

armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:33 am
nemo wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:58 am One false step here can ruin a reputation no matter how petty.
I like to stay home for many reasons.
Hopefully I will never get into any public scrapes - seems all too easy to do by accident.

Disclaimer: I have never met any of the protagonists in this story.
By all means stay home if you like but please don't be concerned about one false step!
You'd have to do somethting majorly bad here to stir any interest in your reputation, let alone ruin it! Many people have tried and failed to ruin their reputations, including all kinds of professionals etc.
The amcham governor literally did a thing most of us have done

He's ruined so..
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:33 pm ... I just find the attempt of a venue owner trying to "thank" a cop openly on the floor of his business with clientele cameras rolling, hilarious. He has the sophistication and discrete elegance of a giraffe going to drink.
So piddly, so open....
and refused!!!

lol
Former AmCham emeritus, the most esteemed HE Bretton Sciaroni, will be turning in his grave right now.
MightyMariner
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by MightyMariner »

By the way so many jumping to his defence when the video clearly shows him trying to hand money to the police, I was wondering, does the restaurant serve blowjobs with the fish and chips? (Take care with the tartare sauce!)
“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Dastardly behavior which expats and Khmers never do.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

MightyMariner wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:17 pm By the way so many jumping to his defence when the video clearly shows him trying to hand money to the police, I was wondering, does the restaurant serve blowjobs with the fish and chips? (Take care with the tartare sauce!)
Considering it's your first post in over two years, which one are you desperate for? A Berg blowie, F&C or both? :jerk:

Seems like most people posting never met the guy.
Manaboutasia
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Manaboutasia »

MightyMariner wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:17 pm By the way so many jumping to his defence when the video clearly shows him trying to hand money to the police, I was wondering, does the restaurant serve blowjobs with the fish and chips? (Take care with the tartare sauce!)
No blowjobs, but if they believe you’re unvaccinated it’s not just the fish they’ll ‘batter’ for you 😂😂
sanjuro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by sanjuro »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:20 pm
nemo wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:55 pm I think forum owners attract stalkers. I seem to recall stories of KIR having a long list of places he would not go.
Well it was a bit different in his case. The Guvnor who set up the site in 2003 was a very inoffensive guy. He liked the banter and just set it up originally to stay in touch with friends abroad, it was pre-Facebook. It was very irreverent but it was quite funny and there was no meanness. He was too busy to bother with it so KIR bought it and changed it a bit. He encouraged the "rudeness" which he insisted was in a Jamaican sense. He could be quite abrasive though and got into vendettas and used the forum to propagate these. Some were valid but others were just petty squabbles. He got a bit too involved in the site. He pissed a lot of people off with his "Fuck off cocktrumpet"+ banhammer. It got him really stressed out and had a huge affect on his demise. He couldn't go to places because he was worried he'd bump into someone who he had pissed off online. Scobienz was a lot more reasonable. He did some weird moves at the end though by creating loads of sock-puppets. Miguelito seemed quite reasonable and neutral. The new owner has tried to make the place a bit more friendly, however I think KIR ruined the site's reputation. Bless his rotten socks. 8-)
I liked KiR's version. It reflected Cambodia expats general street interaction most realistically. It was amusing. You gleaned actual information. I can't comment on the previous owner. As far as Scobienz and Miguelito are concerned, they come across as the initial slow demise, placeholders/uninspired bureaucrats, The Harding and Coolidge years so to speak. This last guy, Michael, so overly micro-manages the site that he's almost totally calcified it as in a type of Woke stock crash.
CEO branched out at the end of the KiR period and was almost heretical. It was strangely refreshing. There was no longer a monopoly. It's just now coming out of a period of brief overbearing censorship, yet nowhere near as bad as the mind-numbing competitor's approach.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Manaboutasia wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:17 pm
No blowjobs, but if they believe you’re unvaccinated it’s not just the fish they’ll ‘batter’ for you 😂😂
You and you friend sure like your own jokes. When you cry with laughter, does it sound like others are laughing too?

"Blowhard" seems more appropriate. :lol1: :Bravo: :Yahoo!: nope. It's a loner thing 8)
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Manaboutasia
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Manaboutasia »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:32 pm
Manaboutasia wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:17 pm
You and you friend sure like your own jokes. When you cry with laughter, does it sound like others are laughing too?

"Blowhard" seems more appropriate. :lol1: :Bravo: :Yahoo!: nope. It's a loner thing 8)
🎣so easily triggered you are, berg and Joel must give you a bump every time you defend them, I’d love to hear your defense of the bribe caught on camera.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic