American MICHAEL BERG (AmCham Board Member) Caught on Video Allegedly Trying to Bribe Police in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: American MICHAEL BERG (AmCham Board Member) Caught on Video Allegedly Trying to Bribe Police in Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I think forum owners attract stalkers. I seem to recall stories of KIR having a long list of places he would not go.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: American MICHAEL BERG (AmCham Board Member) Caught on Video Allegedly Trying to Bribe Police in Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

nemo wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:55 pm I think forum owners attract stalkers. I seem to recall stories of KIR having a long list of places he would not go.
Well it was a bit different in his case. The Guvnor who set up the site in 2003 was a very inoffensive guy. He liked the banter and just set it up originally to stay in touch with friends abroad, it was pre-Facebook. It was very irreverent but it was quite funny and there was no meanness. He was too busy to bother with it so KIR bought it and changed it a bit. He encouraged the "rudeness" which he insisted was in a Jamaican sense. He could be quite abrasive though and got into vendettas and used the forum to propagate these. Some were valid but others were just petty squabbles. He got a bit too involved in the site. He pissed a lot of people off with his "Fuck off cocktrumpet"+ banhammer. It got him really stressed out and had a huge affect on his demise. He couldn't go to places because he was worried he'd bump into someone who he had pissed off online. Scobienz was a lot more reasonable. He did some weird moves at the end though by creating loads of sock-puppets. Miguelito seemed quite reasonable and neutral. The new owner has tried to make the place a bit more friendly, however I think KIR ruined the site's reputation. Bless his rotten socks. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
sanjuro
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: American MICHAEL BERG (Owner of The Cove) Caught on Video Allegedly Trying to Bribe Police in Cambodia

Post by sanjuro »

nerdlinger wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:14 pm
Cooldude wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:01 am
sanjuro wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:01 am ^
well then her boyfriend should beat her.
fk sake "social justice comes to cambodia". should make a fkng coloring book.
Unfortunately these social justice warriors have already been in Cambodia for awhile and completely ruining the place.
Are you kidding me? No way she’s an SJW, she’s a classic Karen. She might use SJW talking points to try scraping sympathy but I highly doubt she actually believes in them.

In fact I’m beginning to wonder if exposure to people like this is why so many people find the concept of encouraging an inclusive society so distasteful…
Fill us in on the 'Inclusive Pronouns for ESL Teachers: Imperial Edition'' and 'Navigators guide to Sexual Vexillology' and we just might become True Beliebers.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Pizzalover wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:48 pm I like the word schmuck much better.

What really matters is the bribery attempt. The story and the reactions tell us something about the expats in PP. It is popular to decry the police, the corruption and whatever. With more or less good reasons. The untold other side of the coin is, however, that the same people do like it when it suits them. And they not only like it, they engage in it.

The policeman who refused the money does not fit into their narrative. No wonder that comments on his behavior are few.

One reason for the defense of Michael Berg is that he did something these characters consider as being perfectly ok. In their view there is no reason even to comment about it. So the little incident works as a wonderful mirror for a good part of that expat community. It confronts self-perception with a very ugly reality.

and, the lady might be a total nut case or whatever negative attribute might come to mind but, still, she is way ahead of that scene and she got the guy. So who is the idiot in the end? Results speak for themselves.
Also there is no return. I cannot see him repairing that and maintaining the American Chamber affiliation. If he does then the story needs to move on to the next level.

GMJS-CEO you just dont get it. But that's ok.
I don’t recall if it was the American Chamber, but one of them had prominent members in the news for fisty cuffs. Didn’t they remain in position? Is a folded up note worse?

I am not one to throw my cash around to make life easier but for as long as I have read the forums it has been said that bar and restaurant owners are required to lubricate authorities to get by with less hassle. I won’t condemn a person who does what every other person in the business does.
For the record I’ve spent less than an hour in his company with others. Don’t know him. Not a friend.
Having read all the comments I am still more offended by a woman who plays the I’m a woman and you made me feel unsafe card than I am offended by a person doing what I have read is the norm (regardless of whether I’d do it - I wouldn’t open a bar etc partly because I wouldn’t want to navigate the gifts expected to stop from being targeted)
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

violet wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:53 pm
Pizzalover wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:48 pm I like the word schmuck much better.

What really matters is the bribery attempt. The story and the reactions tell us something about the expats in PP. It is popular to decry the police, the corruption and whatever. With more or less good reasons. The untold other side of the coin is, however, that the same people do like it when it suits them. And they not only like it, they engage in it.

The policeman who refused the money does not fit into their narrative. No wonder that comments on his behavior are few.

One reason for the defense of Michael Berg is that he did something these characters consider as being perfectly ok. In their view there is no reason even to comment about it. So the little incident works as a wonderful mirror for a good part of that expat community. It confronts self-perception with a very ugly reality.

and, the lady might be a total nut case or whatever negative attribute might come to mind but, still, she is way ahead of that scene and she got the guy. So who is the idiot in the end? Results speak for themselves.
Also there is no return. I cannot see him repairing that and maintaining the American Chamber affiliation. If he does then the story needs to move on to the next level.

GMJS-CEO you just dont get it. But that's ok.
I don’t recall if it was the American Chamber, but one of them had prominent members in the news for fisty cuffs. Didn’t they remain in position? Is a folded up note worse?

I am not one to throw my cash around to make life easier but for as long as I have read the forums it has been said that bar and restaurant owners are required to lubricate authorities to get by with less hassle. I won’t condemn a person who does what every other person in the business does.
For the record I’ve spent less than an hour in his company with others. Don’t know him. Not a friend.
Having read all the comments I am still more offended by a woman who plays the I’m a woman and you made me feel unsafe card than I am offended by a person doing what I have read is the norm (regardless of whether I’d do it - I wouldn’t open a bar etc partly because I wouldn’t want to navigate the gifts expected to stop from being targeted)
I think you've hit the nail on the head violet, has so to speak, being a business owner, or running a restaurant/bar. Unfortunately for a western person doing so, it takes a little bit of understanding. It's more than likely for seen has corruption in our eyes, but it's how people have run their business dealings in this part of the world, something of an excepted service between business dealings with owners and authority figures, long before the western expats arrived.
I don't know the people in this story, but if we treat them has any other person's, one manager or owner of a business, and one of what could be considered has being such has many a paying customer. When a situation arises where you are facing the police on your premises, firstly that situation is now noted by authority, the person who's place it is, now is answerable for the problem that has arose, no matter who maybe in the wrong.And again it might be expected you may have to pay for the person's time or interaction, that will end in the situation being sorted out.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Lucky_Man
Tourist

Post by Lucky_Man »

Wow.

So I’ve just heard that Ashley’s (Khmer) boyfriend, Yi Yourn, the original poster of all of the messages, has huge gambling debts and is trying to use this to extort Berg out of money. He got fired from his last job for stealing hundreds of dollars, which he gambled, and is now using his girlfriend to cause issues to extort white guys with his lawyer friend (which explains how she could get cops to arrive).

Craziest story in a while - times are tough and no one in immune from this shit.
Albror
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by Albror »

After seeing the video one would hope that he just forgot there was money in his hand while trying to get a handshake because who would be that stupid?

We all know that when something is caught on video there is no more "forgetting" things for 20 bucks. Just as when the Vietnamese guy caught two traffic police who asked for a bribe. Of course no one, especially the police chief had no idea that police officers were taking bribes but when there is a video of it published online there is no more pretending not to know and those who took the money will get laid of 100% to cover the chiefs back.

That is how it works and this guy fucked up big times. Bribes only work as long as you are smart enough to keep it from the publics eyes.

Also that place never cared about covid restrictions so why would they care about a covid vaccine paper? Man what a idiot.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

:dm:
Frankly, IMO, if there was no "special handshake" to a cop from a barang restaurant owner caught on video, then there was no story here, except maybe: "Expats have an argument in a fancy fish and chip restaurant and call the cops."

Anyway, good luck with that . Once something gets on FB in Cambodia, it's like official news. Like it or not. TIC.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

One false step here can ruin a reputation no matter how petty.
I like to stay home for many reasons.
Hopefully I will never get into any public scrapes - seems all too easy to do by accident.

Disclaimer: I have never met any of the protagonists in this story.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

[self-edit]
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic