American MICHAEL BERG (AmCham Board Member) Caught on Video Allegedly Trying to Bribe Police in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Re: American MICHAEL BERG (AmCham Board Member) Caught on Video Allegedly Trying to Bribe Police in Cambodia

Post by Kuroneko »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:15 pm
There are certainly a lot of opinions on Peterson the man, and I admit I didn't read everything or every article you attached, but can you point me to the discrediting of his research that has been peer reviewed?

Thanks
Be careful not to conflate his peer reviewed research papers with his more recent popularised books and videos which are heavily critiqued and are the the majour concern with Peterson. He has many peer reviewed articles which predate his popularised material (see here https://neurotree.org/beta/publications.php?pid=16239 ) and are not the focus of concern. In 2018 he put his clinical practice and teaching duties on hold when he published his second book, 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos. This book is critiqued here:

An article published in 2020 in the International Journal of Jungian Studies, ′Carl Jung, John Layard and Jordan Peterson: Assessing Theories of Human Social Evolution and Their Implications for Analytical Psychology', offers a sustained critique of Peterson's thought as outlined in 12 Rules for Life.[109] The article claims that Peterson fails to take account of research in paleoanthropology, evolutionary anthropology and ethnographic studies of egalitarian societies. Such societies, which are believed to represent the ancient forager adaptation of H. sapiens, are matrilineal and lack social hierarchy. The author argues that a major sociocultural transformation occurred from this ancient adaptive complex with the onset of agriculture giving rise to modern patrilineal and hierarchical cultures. This view contrasts with Peterson's, which postulates modern social and economic structures are an outgrowth of the hierarchical impulses of our premammalian, mammalian and primate ancestors. This led the author to conclude that Peterson seems to have 'projected his own cultural biases back into the deep past.'[110] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Rules_for_Life

Effectively Peterson was using his past academic career to legitimise or add credibility to his populist views
As I quoted in my earlier post “Peterson’s secret sauce is to provide an academic veneer to a lot of old-school rightwing cant, including the notion that most academia is corrupt and evil, and banal self-help patter,” says Southey. “He’s very much a cult thing, in every regard. I think he’s a goof, which does not mean he’s not dangerous.”.....................

Again re quoting my previous post:
...............................In many ways, Peterson is an old-fashioned conservative who mourns the decline of religious faith and the traditional family, but he uses of-the-moment tactics. His YouTube gospel resonates with young white men who feel alienated by the jargon of social-justice discourse and crave an empowering theory of the world in which they are not the designated oppressors. Many are intellectually curious. On Amazon, Peterson’s readers seek out his favourite thinkers: Dostoevsky, Nietzsche, Solzhenitsyn, Jung. His long, dense video lectures require commitment. He combines the roles of erudite professor, self-help guru and street-fighting scourge of the social-justice warrior: the missing link between Steven Pinker, Dale Carnegie and Gamergate. On Reddit, fans testify that Peterson changed, or even saved, their lives. His recent sold-out lectures in London had the atmosphere of revival meetings.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... rnets-nest
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: American MICHAEL BERG (AmCham Board Member) Caught on Video Allegedly Trying to Bribe Police in Cambodia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Kuroneko wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:53 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:15 pm
There are certainly a lot of opinions on Peterson the man, and I admit I didn't read everything or every article you attached, but can you point me to the discrediting of his research that has been peer reviewed?

Thanks
Be careful not to conflate his peer reviewed research papers with his more recent popularised books and videos which are heavily critiqued and are the the majour concern with Peterson.
I don't believe I am the one conflating anything. My initial post which garnered responses and some stick simply listed the man's credentials as a scientist suggesting his research to be very well respected in academia - which it is. I then asked a couple of posters who were dismissing him entirely to discredit his research - which nobody has. You've offered what appears to me to be normal academic differences between competing ideas (which is perfectly standard scientific discourse) but falls a little short of discrediting the man as a scientist or his work and research.

I've made no reference or have any interest in his public life, personal habits or short fallings, character flaws or anything else many people seem to be fixated on. I simply acknowledged his esteem as a scientist. Everyone can bang on all they like about him, his diet, his daughter, his mental health... but you can't deny that his work isn't valuable or deserves respect.

Sadly, one of the issues we've begun to face recently as a society is the manner in which social or political biases have been allowed to warp truth.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

" but you can't deny that his work isn't valuable or deserves respect". They can and they will. It is not a question of valuable work or respect, it is whether or not he is towing the wokester (is that a word yet? if not it should be) line. If not he should be shunned and shamed, simple as that.
Lucky_Man
Tourist

Post by Lucky_Man »

Ashley’s next target: Mark Zuckerberg. Take that, Mark!

Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:30 am Does anyone have any idea who she is or what she does here? I saw she used to be in the Metropolitan Police.

ImageImageImageImageImage

:?
Apparently, she like vendettas against restaurateurs

rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I knew I recognized the name!
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

What a ridiculous thread. Phnom Penh has really gone to shit with this nonsense. Bassac Lane should be bulldozed with all those frightfully self important people eating there. Anyone who bought Khmer440 is obviously delusional.
LaudJohn
Expatriate

Post by LaudJohn »

Cambodia has the best police that money can buy.
This thread is much adoo about nothing.
A lot of Saints that have never made a mistake here.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

willyhilly wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:55 pm What a ridiculous thread. Phnom Penh has really gone to shit with this nonsense. Bassac Lane should be bulldozed with all those frightfully self important people eating there. Anyone who bought Khmer440 is obviously delusional.
Wait 3 years and you can dig it up for us.
anka
BANNED

Re: American MICHAEL BERG (Owner of The Cove) Caught on Video Allegedly Trying to Bribe Police in Cambodia

Post by anka »

Darkcel wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:46 am The man in the white T-Shirt who is threatening to have her beaten up is Joel Shipsides, owner of The Vine and "investor" (whatever the fuck that means here, paid for someone's visa I guess) in the cove. He like Michael, has also been known for his shady business dealings.

Who knew the hospitality sector here was riddled with shady white fellas? Color me surprised
Darkcel wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:45 pm We currently live in the boonies so it's just Khmer food and the occasional Pho if we make the 20 minute drive.

Wife's parents house is 5 minute walk from bkk market so I have that going for me when we make the visit. This post really made me want a burger from The Vine right about now...
Interesting assertions here.

It's also weird that you enjoy eating the guy's food but you're not averse to spreading rumors about him. I find it very hard to believe that he is known for any "shady business dealings" that you fail to identify. He and his girlfriend seem pretty successful on their own merits and hard work.

Do you make a habit of copping gratification off of people and turning around and spreading bullshit about them online? I bet you do.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic