American MICHAEL BERG (AmCham Board Member) Caught on Video Allegedly Trying to Bribe Police in Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Owen
Expatriate
Mexico

Re: American MICHAEL BERG (AmCham Board Member) Caught on Video Allegedly Trying to Bribe Police in Cambodia

Post by Owen »

Yeah good luck following that reliable J Peterson data to his quack regimen of pills and the ridiculous diet of a feral 6-year old who hates taking baths.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: American MICHAEL BERG (AmCham Board Member) Caught on Video Allegedly Trying to Bribe Police in Cambodia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Owen wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:40 am Yeah good luck following that reliable J Peterson data to his quack regimen of pills and the ridiculous diet of a feral 6-year old who hates taking baths.
Try discrediting his work.

I'll wait.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Word on the street is that the Shitberg hasn't been back at the cove since the event
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Rightio.
The next time a man verbally abuses me I will tell him to grow some bulls and hit me like a real man.
Got it :)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

rozzieoz wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:20 am Rightio.
The next time a man verbally abuses me I will tell him to grow some bulls and hit me like a real man.
Got it :)
Nobody's condoning physical violence, Roz.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:42 am
Owen wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:40 am Yeah good luck following that reliable J Peterson data to his quack regimen of pills and the ridiculous diet of a feral 6-year old who hates taking baths.

I'll wait.
Where to begin! Here's an old Guardian article from 2018 for a start
How dangerous is Jordan B Peterson, the rightwing professor who 'hit a hornets' nest'?

Since his confrontation with Cathy Newman, the Canadian academic’s book has become a bestseller. But his arguments are riddled with ‘pseudo-facts’ and conspiracy theories......

Not everybody is persuaded that Peterson is a thinker of substance, however. Last November, fellow University of Toronto professor Ira Wells called him “the professor of piffle” – a YouTube star rather than a credible intellectual. Tabatha Southey, a columnist for the Canadian magazine Macleans, designated him “the stupid man’s smart person”.

“Peterson’s secret sauce is to provide an academic veneer to a lot of old-school rightwing cant, including the notion that most academia is corrupt and evil, and banal self-help patter,” says Southey. “He’s very much a cult thing, in every regard. I think he’s a goof, which does not mean he’s not dangerous.”.....................

...............................In many ways, Peterson is an old-fashioned conservative who mourns the decline of religious faith and the traditional family, but he uses of-the-moment tactics. His YouTube gospel resonates with young white men who feel alienated by the jargon of social-justice discourse and crave an empowering theory of the world in which they are not the designated oppressors. Many are intellectually curious. On Amazon, Peterson’s readers seek out his favourite thinkers: Dostoevsky, Nietzsche, Solzhenitsyn, Jung. His long, dense video lectures require commitment. He combines the roles of erudite professor, self-help guru and street-fighting scourge of the social-justice warrior: the missing link between Steven Pinker, Dale Carnegie and Gamergate. On Reddit, fans testify that Peterson changed, or even saved, their lives. His recent sold-out lectures in London had the atmosphere of revival meetings.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/201 ... rnets-nest

And some more...............

The Professor of Piffle The dangerous underside of Jordan Peterson’s crusade against the humanities
by Ira Wells Updated 11:16, Dec. 17, 2019 | Published 15:45, Nov. 27, 2017
https://thewalrus.ca/the-professor-of-piffle/

What the hell happened to Jordan Peterson?
Jordan Peterson has turned out to be the self-help guru unable to help himself. By Caroline Overington The Australian Nov 5 2021

Peterson disappeared from public life soon after leaving Australia. Rumours as to the state of his health since then are legion: he became addicted to prescription painkillers (true); he had to go to detox (true); he’s had pneumonia (true); suffered neurological damage (true); he’s got problems with his relationship with his adored son (true); he contracted COVID-19 (also true.)......................

............It is not yet known whether Peterson will ever be well enough to return to public life and he knows some people will question the worth of his advice anyway: “Like, why would anyone take anything I say seriously? And I guess what I would say is if you’re going to wait to learn from people who don’t make mistakes, or don’t have tragedy into their life …”

Well, you know the rest. And yes, of course there has been some online glee about the predicament in which Peterson finds himself. Some have suggested he was never more than charlatan but, for others, the feeling is one of understandable disappointment, like he somehow talked the big talk and turned out not to have the answers. Like anyone does.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/inquir ... d959cd28eb
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Kuroneko wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:53 am

I'll wait.
Where to begin!
There are certainly a lot of opinions on Peterson the man, and I admit I didn't read everything or every article you attached, but can you point me to the discrediting of his research that has been peer reviewed?

Thanks
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:15 pm
Kuroneko wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:53 am

I'll wait.
Where to begin!
There are certainly a lot of opinions on Peterson the man, and I admit I didn't read everything or every article you attached, but can you point me to the discrediting of his research that has been peer reviewed?

Thanks
And calling him Far-right lol .. seriously ... like there's nothing between what those on the far left and those on the far right??

To anyone on the far left those who do not agree with them are instantly "far right" like there's no middle ground between. You know, the centre and left /right of centre?? Nope, It's our way or you're Far Right .. simple as that.
So. 1 argument debunked... onto the next one
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:15 pm

Thanks
depends what you look for in his work

Jordan Peterson teaches how to live in society but not with yourself

That's why he became a suicidal drug addict
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

The second piece "the professor of piffle" is a perfect example of "the story of the Zebra". He's attacking Peterson for not toeing the line, for daring to be out-spoken, for standing out.
It starts with a mis-representation of Petersons objections to using pronouns. It was all about compelled speech. Not about upsetting someone. But, they never talk about this in the hit pieces do they. It's all dog-whistles and Nazi's!

As he has repeatedly stated, NEVER before in history has there been a law to compel speech. This, he believes is dangerous ground but no ones discusses that. They just go back to "so YOU dont think trans women are real women?" type of questions when the discussion is about compelling the words we use by law.

He then states Peterson has not made any worthwhile contributions to the field ... again .. laughable given the link that was posted previously regarding his academic papers.

So yeah, the whole article comes across as petty jealousy wrapped in spite.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic