Have you spent more or less this last year? (Poll)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

Haver you spent more or less money this past year?

More.
19%
Less.
54%
Same.
23%
No idea.
4%

Total votes: 52
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Have you spent more or less this last year? (Poll)

Post by ExPenhMan »

Spending tons less. No travel. Pubs/bars shut since April. Beer by the big bottle in the condo shop in Bangkok. Half the price and even less than the pubs/night markets. Even buying bottles of whiskey, which is a huge saving -- and better pours. But believe it or not, drinking less. Another saving.

Making nearly all my own meals, though sometimes I buy read-to-eat things and then Frankenstein them by cutting them in half and adding extra veg/meat. Have been buying some pretty expensive meats, like no-biotic/no hormone bacon or ham. Best thing is I've been eating less, deliberately.

That's Bangkok. Now, Toronto where I've been for 3 weeks. Still in price shock. Pub visits are expensive. Meals run 500 baht/$15. Then two pints of craft brew (heavenly) and a Jameson or two. Pub bills have been running CA$40 to CA$65, which is 1,000 to 1700 baht/US$30-US$50! I was shocked. I'm doing AirBnB so no chance to make meals.

Bought a lot of clothes in Toronto, from socks and up. My credit card getting a workout. Most of last year and this, I actually had a cash credit on the card. One return airfare and an upcoming one-night quarantine in Bangkok, with expenses, to come.

Back to Bangkok next week to save money. LOL.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:13 pm No travels saved me about >20k. Build a house instead which hopefully will make money after this covid mess.

The noise must be something else during heavy downpours on that huge tin roof?
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:37 pm Same, my monthly leisure budget which is normally beer and travel I spent on clothes, ( discovered the Japanese chain Uniglo and won't bother with anywhere else now, great value shop ), and used cameras, some unbelievable bargains. Got everything I need now, so with internal travel opening up 1st November I plan to take advantage of cheap hotel prices and spend a week a month in Bangkok exploring with the camera.
Uniglo? Hmmm. Thanks for the tip. I've been thwarted on buying some simple things in my usual places in Toronto. Will hit Uniglo this week.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Chad Sexington wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:03 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:13 pm No travels saved me about >20k. Build a house instead which hopefully will make money after this covid mess.

The noise must be something else during heavy downpours on that huge tin roof?
The tin roof's just on the front/side. The house itself has stone roof tiles.
I'd say as silent as the cockpit of a cargoliner :lol:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

A lot more. Had a house built. Which costs a lot.

Now home ownership, which costs a lot more.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:06 pm
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:37 pm Same, my monthly leisure budget which is normally beer and travel I spent on clothes, ( discovered the Japanese chain Uniglo and won't bother with anywhere else now, great value shop ), and used cameras, some unbelievable bargains. Got everything I need now, so with internal travel opening up 1st November I plan to take advantage of cheap hotel prices and spend a week a month in Bangkok exploring with the camera.
Uniglo? Hmmm. Thanks for the tip. I've been thwarted on buying some simple things in my usual places in Toronto. Will hit Uniglo this week.
They're in all the big Bangkok malls, Central World is their flagship store.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:22 pm I've spent considerably less these last twelve to eighteen months what with the inability to travel. But I thought there might be others whose spending had increased as they tried to busy themselves with their normal lifestyle on hold.

What's it for you?
I saved so much money i don’t know what to do with it all
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:44 pm A lot more. Had a house built. Which costs a lot.

Now home ownership, which costs a lot more.
I guess you will inherit some back in the future
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I was going to say "Yes".

Without that option, I would gauge, by the fun ratio, much more. I spend everything I get (out of respect for allowing me to live here), so the amount of activity I partake in is how I analyse the amount I have wasted/spent, because at some stage, I will be broke for a short detox.

There is always so much month left at the end of the money!

I feel I am expected to make up for the lack of their income.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Far more. But that has nothing to with covid
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic